Sunwing hiring update

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sunwing hiring update

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

yes. uber eats
---------- ADS -----------

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

Per diem : yes

Work on GDO : X2

OT

Deployment : not sure it is going to happen again.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

mmm..bacon wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:26 am Bumpity bump bump...

And...is that payscale still valid? If I'm reading it right: 900h (minimum annual) x $61.61 = $55449/yr. perdiems? base allowance? negotiable start level? Anything to make that salary higher than the Navajo pay I made back in 2002?
Negotiable start rate?: No. Payscales are as per the CBA.
Base allowance?: No.
Perdiems: I got about $700 per month doing multi-day trips. If you do single-day turns and receive crew meals, I don't believe you get perdiems at all.

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

Should you interview with Sunwing, be sure you ask the interviewers where they see themselves in five years. They are mostly likely going to ask you this but I think the question is just as notable when reversed in this case. Hopefully they are honest with you.

Fredsbutt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fredsbutt »

fruz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:07 pm Should you interview with Sunwing, be sure you ask the interviewers where they see themselves in five years. They are mostly likely going to ask you this but I think the question is just as notable when reversed in this case. Hopefully they are honest with you.
Dumb question….IMO
The honest answer everyone should give no matter what airline they’re interviewing at should be “who knows”.
5 years ago nobody would have thought Canadian aviation would have been effectively shutdown…..

Mudather87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mudather87 »

Hello everyone

- how long does it take them to let us know the interview result?

- any idea which date is June class starting?

Thnx!

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

June 6th is the first course date. They are planning about 5 courses approx it appears.

SunbeamTiger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SunbeamTiger »

A really good friend of mine has an interview next week! He’s so excited… what sort of questions beyond the usual “what would you do” type should he expect? Technical 737 stuff or not? Any intel appreciated, thanks!! :D

ads-b
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ads-b »

I’m guessing you could tell the interviewers anything you want. We need more pilots then we’ll probably find. And Fruz question about asking interviewers where they see themselves in 5 years is valid.

If your looking for a 737 type rating and some experience come on over. If your looking for a career company….try AC.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

SunbeamTiger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:26 pm A really good friend of mine has an interview next week! He’s so excited… what sort of questions beyond the usual “what would you do” type should he expect? Technical 737 stuff or not? Any intel appreciated, thanks!! :D
The interview starts with a tell us your story in aviation from day one to today. Practice this at home, write out a timeline in chronological order that matches your log book. For me this was a very two way thing, each of the 3 pilots and HR person, found things that I had done that they could relate to. This is probably the most important part of the Sunwing interview because your behaviour descriptive answers will be about companies you've talked about at the beginning. Make eye contact, be open and personable, talk about your passion for aviation.

Technical questions were only a very small part of it from the senior Captain in the room. CAP GEN type stuff. Be honest if you don't know the answer.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Well..I guess that Sunwing will have to do without my services. Sent this to Ms.Furtado today:

"Hi, Nancy,

After some thought, and consultation with my spouse, I’m writing to cancel my interview with Sunwing.
Simply put, your starting salary will not enable me to meet my financial obligations to my mortgage and family. Quite literally, I made more flying a Navajo back in 2002.

I wish Sunwing every success in the future.

Kind Regards,"

Now that I've hit send, I wish that I was a little stronger in my letter. Something along the lines of getting paid more to drive a city bus where I live; 20+ years in the industry, and you want me to pay my way to YYZ for an interview for a $55k job? An interview that could just as easily be done over Zoom..

I may not be 100% happy at the job I'm in (which is why I'm looking) but 55/yr with uncertain prospects for an upgrade, and a merger in the outlook...no, thanks.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

mmm..bacon wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:22 am Well..I guess that Sunwing will have to do without my services. Sent this to Ms.Furtado today:

"Hi, Nancy,

After some thought, and consultation with my spouse, I’m writing to cancel my interview with Sunwing.
Simply put, your starting salary will not enable me to meet my financial obligations to my mortgage and family. Quite literally, I made more flying a Navajo back in 2002.

Kind Regards,"

Now that I've hit send, I wish that I was a little stronger in my letter. Something along the lines of getting paid more to drive a city bus where I live; 20+ years in the industry, and you want me to pay my way to YYZ for an interview for a $55k job? An interview that could just as easily be done over Zoom..

I may not be 100% happy at the job I'm in (which is why I'm looking) but 55/yr with uncertain prospects for an upgrade, and a merger in the outlook...no, thanks.

You knew that before you applied. I hope no one waste an internal recommend on you.

ads-b
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ads-b »

You have my respect mmmm…Bacon. Should be more like you.

Free Woodpecker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Free Woodpecker »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:39 am
mmm..bacon wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:22 am Well..I guess that Sunwing will have to do without my services. Sent this to Ms.Furtado today:

"Hi, Nancy,

Kind Regards,"

You knew that before you applied. I hope no one waste an internal recommend on you.
Bacon didn’t send shit.

JetA Burner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JetA Burner »

mmm..bacon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:22 pm ...If you don't like their T&C, don't apply then :roll:
viewtopic.php?p=1153876#p1153876

Pot meet kettle.

Mudather87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mudather87 »

Did they call anyone for June 6th ground school?

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

Just to be clear for those who are applying here.

The current state of the company is poor. The level of morale is at an all time low. This is due to Sunwing management and they're continual attempt to contravene our CBA, nickel and dime and/or just plain mismanage. We are losing pilots here on regularity because of this and there doesn't appear to be any end in sight. Add in, our pay is near the industry floor. If this doesn't dissuade you, it should.

I’m not telling people to not apply her. But really ask serious questions with the interview panel should you be afforded the opportunity to meet with them. Some of these interviewers are regular line pilots with Sunwing and are exposed equally as the rest of us are. Hopefully they are honest with you when you ask these questions because it's a serious decision in your life and career.

The morale and working conditions have never been worse in my opinion and many are looking elsewhere. Consider this when you interview or offered a job.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

fruz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:35 am Just to be clear for those who are applying here.
The current state of the company is poor. The level of morale is at an all time low.
Likely a statement you could make about every airline in Canada. The ones who are happy are the ones well on their way to retirement. They are looking back thinking, “damn this industry has changed since I first started, good riddance!”. The generation on their way out are the ones who voted yes on the contract for those on the way in.

Sad how that generation sold out their kids futures. All the A and B scale contracts, flat pay, etc. I think airline pilots would be better off with no unions.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

You're not wrong on every airline being like that, but Sunwing is truly at or near the bottom of compensation. Porter pays better on the Embraer as an example. To make matters worse is that management is fabricating a pilot shortage at Sunwing in order to apply for foreign pilots, especially as captains. A huge number of pilots were just bypassed for upgrade due to generic reasons, all in order to fabricate this need for foreign direct entry captains as temporary foreign workers, rather than increasing pay to a more competitive level. Sadly, they'll probably get away with this!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:39 am

"Hi, Nancy,

Kind Regards,"

It's easy to find on avcanada, but do they publish it officially in their job ad or website? If not, then you can't fault someone for turning down the job during the application process.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “Sunwing”