FAA CPL to TC CPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

keep_flyin
Rank 0
Rank 0

FAA CPL to TC CPL

Post by keep_flyin »

Hello Fellow Aviators
I received my FAA Commercial Multi and now am looking towards getting it converted to TC CPL.
I have gone through the TC Website regarding the conversion and I need to have my verification done + medical before giving the exam which I believe is 25 questions, please correct me if I am wrong.

If anyone has gone through the process, I would appreciate if they could shed some light on the procedure and how long it took to receive the license. And what items do they require for the verification.
Appreciate your help.
Thank You
---------- ADS -----------

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: FAA CPL to TC CPL

Post by jd832 »

I converted my FAA ATP to a TC ATPL. I started the process in January and completed the process around May. I used that time to study the TC AIM. There is a test guide on the TC website on recommended sections to study. Pay attention to the wording as you study because the answers on the 25 question multiple choice test are very similar to each other and one of the choices is more correct than the others. Throughout the paper work process they kept mailing me saying what I was missing. I would give the information and a month later they tell me an additional thing I was missing. It was frustrating because instead of just mailing me a list of thing they needed they would tell me one at a time via mail. One of thing they wanted was a current copy of an IPC endorsement from my logbook. My airline annual SIM ride wasn't good enough because it wasn't completed as a captain but rather an FO. So I had to rent a C172 and go up with an instructor to get an endorsement. Also you'll need a Radio License-Aeronautical. In Canada it's and actual test that you have to study for and write.

Also If you're close to receiving your FAA ATP, I would obtain that and then convert it to a TC ATPL instead of a CPL.

You'll need:
TC aviation medical
Passport type photo ( Dimensions on the TC website)
Current IPC endorsement
Completed paperwork

I would contact a TC office before you send your paperwork and verify with them everything you're sending to make sure you're not missing anything.

keep_flyin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by keep_flyin »

Hey
Thanks for you reply.
It took quite some time for you. I have usually heard it takes at most about a month.
I have heard about the exams and they can be quite tricky.
Thanks for your advice.

mlpinheiro
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mlpinheiro »

Hello, jd382!!

"I would contact a TC office before you send your paperwork and verify with them everything you're sending to make sure you're not missing anything." - Does the TC usually answer ours asks about the process? Do you recommend we send to TC a drift in PDF for their analysis?
I am preparing to convert my Brazilian ATP in FAA and, after, from FAA in TC.
Thank you!
Regards!

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

Hello everyone! Opening this topic again. Writing the FAA to TC CPL/IR exams in a few weeks. Currently using pilottraining presentation/test bank to study. The TC wording and detail is definitely more challenging then FAA along with airspace and approach procedures. Just wondering if anyone has written the 25 question conversion exams and if they found the bank to be of any help.

Thanks in advance!

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

PIC26 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:58 pm Hello everyone! Opening this topic again. Writing the FAA to TC CPL/IR exams in a few weeks. Currently using pilottraining presentation/test bank to study. The TC wording and detail is definitely more challenging then FAA along with airspace and approach procedures. Just wondering if anyone has written the 25 question conversion exams and if they found the bank to be of any help.

Thanks in advance!
If you used pilottraining.ca then you’ll find that you’re actually over prepared for the exam. I believe it is harder to fail

Hotoffthepress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hotoffthepress »

Hi Guys,
Thank you for the creation of this forum. Very helpful!

Just a quick Q - I will be converting my HK ATPL to a FAA CTP/ATP with A320 Rating very soon. Overall aim is to obtain the TC ATPL, and the bilateral agreement makes it a much easier conversion than converting my HK ATPL directly to TC ATPL (SAMRA SARON INRAT + Flight Test)

My understanding is as long as my ATP Certificate (Card) has no restrictions on the back stating "Issued on the basis of a foreign license", I am eligible for the quick conversion to a Canadian ATPL?

Cheers!

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wirez »

Hotoffthepress wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:23 am Hi Guys,

Just a quick Q - I will be converting my HK ATPL to a FAA CTP/ATP with A320 Rating very soon. Overall aim is to obtain the TC ATPL, and the bilateral agreement makes it a much easier conversion than converting my HK ATPL directly to TC ATPL (SAMRA SARON INRAT + Flight Test)

My understanding is as long as my ATP Certificate (Card) has no restrictions on the back stating "Issued on the basis of a foreign license", I am eligible for the quick conversion to a Canadian ATPL?

Cheers!
You are correct. When you obtain an FAA certificate in the method you described, there are no restrictions on conversion to a Canadian license.
By the way, you sound like a fellow former KA pilot. Good luck getting back in the skies!

Hotoffthepress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hotoffthepress »

Brilliant! Thanks Wirez.

Yes! Ex KA here. As you know the HK border is tighter than a mosquito’s bottom so it could very well be a while!
CX are making attempts to recoup us back but many of us don’t have start dates until Q1 2022 (Post PEK Olympics)

Hope all is well!
Cheers

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Hotoffthepress wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:23 am Hi Guys,

Cheers!
If the system works correctly, your FAA certificate will say “issued in the basis of a foreign licence” and you won’t be able to use it to get a Canadian licence.

The bilateral agreement is for people who did training and examinations and tests under FAA supervision which is considered to be equivalent to Canadian. If you train in a 3rd country and get an FAA licence from that that hasn’t been judged by Canada to be equivalent.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Hotoffthepress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hotoffthepress »

[/quote]
If the system works correctly, your FAA certificate will say “issued in the basis of a foreign licence” and you won’t be able to use it to get a Canadian licence.

The bilateral agreement is for people who did training and examinations and tests under FAA supervision which is considered to be equivalent to Canadian. If you train in a 3rd country and get an FAA licence from that that hasn’t been judged by Canada to be equivalent.
[/quote]

I got through the process - I was uncertain at the time that when the FAA issued my license, if it would be a full unrestricted license.
Thank you for the reply, it really helped clarify quite a bit.

FAA recognised my license and my hours, and I met the requirements for the FAA ATP course with an accelerated type rating.
I had to complete the CTP and ATP exam (Ground and SIM) which they combined with an accelerated type rating course.
Passed, and they granted me with FAA ATP with zero restrictions along with a type rating.

6 months later, TC ATPL received.
Hardest part was liaising with TC as it's clear they're overloaded.

Cheers for all the help.

Biochemh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Biochemh »

Hi @hotoffthepress, I’m a fellow HK pilot looking at the FAA route to a TC ATPL as well. Got a few questions about the process. Unfortunately I cannot DM you here as I’m relatively new to the forum, would you mind sending me an email at howardleunghw@gmail.com? Many thanks.

Cheers,
Howard

Return to “Flight Training”