Typical sched

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Typical sched

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

What is the typical sched for and F/o at porter? hours per month, legs per day, pay, perdiems? and mostly how's the atmosphere in the company. Private message if you want!

thanks and safe flights!
---------- ADS -----------

Teeg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Typical sched

Post by Teeg »

lots of info in previous threads.
as a new hire -> reserve for probably a month. 12 days off regardless
after that its a seniority based bidding system, but quite a bit of variety.
lots of 2 day pairing with a mix of 3 and 4 day legs. also lots of 3 day pairing with 3-4-5 legs per day. Bid it, and see what happens. Per diem 3$ per hour. So a 3 day, 70 hours away from base is....... 210$
atmosphere is rather subjective.
I live where I want, my schedule as a mid senior FO is bearable. Id be interested to hear what a 2 year employee, 1 year Capt at the Hub would say....

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

Thanks Teeg, appreciate it.

ascend
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ascend »

would anyone know how long it would take to hold single day pairings? Also heard if you get a pairing you don't want you can just dump it, any truth to that??

Thank you

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

ascend wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:13 am would anyone know how long it would take to hold single day pairings?
If you're coming in as an FO, the easy answer (without me going in and looking at the bid awards) is about a year. Upgrades are sitting at the year mark so I'd guess after 10-12 months, if you stay as an FO, you'll likely be able to hold single days if you want them. (They might be low credit single days which means you'll have to work every day except your 12 GDOs.) If you're coming in as a DEC - uhh... a lot more than that (although at a quick glance, a couple of junior CAs - i.e. in bottom ⅓ - are actually holding singles and 2 days this month. We have a commuting policy now so a chunk of the 3 and 4 day pairings seem to go a bit more senior.
ascend wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:13 am Also heard if you get a pairing you don't want you can just dump it, any truth to that??
Short answer - not really. There are a ton of conditions to be able to drop a pairing - sufficient reserve coverage is a big one, plus you have to maintain a certain hour minimum per month. We can also swap with each other and the open flying pot, but this really only works decently at the YTZ base (more people to trade with.)

ascend
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ascend »

Thanks for reply.
How do splits work? Do pilots ever bid on them?

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

ascend wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:13 pm Thanks for reply.
Splits/continuous duty - evening flight/short rest/morning flight. Duty day is continuous starting in the evening. A typical example is report at 1930 for a 2030 flight. Land at 2200. Go to the hotel. Morning report is around 0530 for a 0630 departure. Land at 0800, and done for the day. You get one day min credit (4h) for that (unless your flight time equals more than 4h, then you get whichever is greater.)

Yes pilots bid on them. Some pilots hate them. Some pilots love them. If they're open, they're the first thing to be snapped up by pilots on days off due to our overtime pay formula. They're also good for, say, if you're too junior to hold a Sunday off, you can probably hold a split starting on a Sunday night which would give you most of that day off.

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

chipmunk wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:22 pm
You get one day min credit (4h) for that (unless your flight time equals more than 4h, then you get whichever is greater.)
or half of your duty period....i.e. YQG CD's. We used to have a CD to Detroit on the RJ, 9+hrs on the ground, two very short flights (flight time was just about 2hrs total). THESE went really senior due to the high credit (almost 6hr 30min, if i remember correctly, and a decent nights sleep on CD)

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

posted in error

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

genetic jack hammer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:46 am
chipmunk wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:22 pm
You get one day min credit (4h) for that (unless your flight time equals more than 4h, then you get whichever is greater.)
or half of your duty period....i.e. YQG CD's. We used to have a CD to Detroit on the RJ, 9+hrs on the ground, two very short flights (flight time was just about 2hrs total). THESE went really senior due to the high credit (almost 6hr 30min, if i remember correctly, and a decent nights sleep on CD)
The half duty period credit doesn't apply to our CDs/Splits. Yet....

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

They will NEVER pay a crew half duty for a split.

7ish credit hours vs 4? And then they will have crew members holding full reserve blocks again, in a "global pilot shortage" no less.

Remember: crew members on reserve actually LOSE credit hours when they get called in to work a split.

Unless collective bargaining comes into play, I can not see the management getting behind that.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

So you're working on average 18 to 20 days a month?

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Don't work at Porter but from friends who do, 12 GDOs off per month would mean working 18-19 days a month depending on the month and blocking is to 85 hours I believe. As someone mentioned above, bidding is done via seniority and one can bid higher credit flying to get the number of days down.

CRAFT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CRAFT »

what system/software do they use for crew bidding?

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Flica now, switching to NavBlue in 2019.

omega
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by omega »

typically how long are the lay overs?
Are they usually shorter for their Northern destinations?

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

anywhere from 10 to 24 hours. makes no difference on the location, however sudbury seems to enjoy min rest layovers. it's not uncommon at all for layovers in excess of 18 hours in Thunder Bay for example.

CRAFT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CRAFT »

Now that operations are somewhat back to normal and all crews have been called back, have there been any changes to the crew schedules in terms of pairings, legs flown per day, longer/shorter/less or more layovers?

Will the new hires still be looking at 12 months on reserve?

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

CRAFT wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:15 pm Now that operations are somewhat back to normal and all crews have been called back, have there been any changes to the crew schedules in terms of pairings, legs flown per day, longer/shorter/less or more layovers?

Will the new hires still be looking at 12 months on reserve?
For Feb, we have about 60% single day pairing, 20% two-day and rest are 3 and 4 days pairings. 1-6 legs per day but 6 legs day are rare to see. Jan and Feb are slow season for us, most of trainings are done during this slow time.

For junior FO and CA we are have one flight per week to keep us current. The rest are reserve, some are TRC(airport reserve)

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

How many days off does a junior F/O on the Q400 have these days at Porter?

Return to “Porter Airlines”