Captain Upgrade Times

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Captain Upgrade Times

Post by matthew.oommen »

yycinformer wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:27 pm That seems counter productive especially since they need captains. But anyway, what is this calendar time duration? I've not seen or heard of it before
It’s a new thing based on experience you come here with.

It ranges. Bottom end, 1500 hours when you join, 1750 hours on type, or 24 calendar months in the company, to be eligible for upgrade. Top end, 4000 hour when you join, 500 on type, or 6 months and a recurrent, whichever comes first.
---------- ADS -----------

Dashdriver88
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dashdriver88 »

Anyone have an estimate on upgrade times at WestJet Mainline? Someone off the the street.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Joshc1988 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:24 pm Anyone have an estimate on upgrade times at WestJet Mainline? Someone off the the street.
Do you mean off the street directly to mainline and skipping Encore?

Right now YYC base is approximately 15 years, YVR base 14 years and YYZ 11 years. That's still based on COVID Numbers though. Just prior to COVID, 2012 hires were scheduled for YYZ upgrades as the most junior Captain at mainline. Unless WJ exercises a whole bunch of 787 options, I expect those times to increase further. There are many relatively young 737 Captains in their late 30s and early 40s who have another 20+ years in their seat before they retire.

Swoop Captains are significantly more junior, but the reality is that 5th year FO pay at mainline is better than 1st year Captain pay at Swoop.

Don't get me wrong, lots of good reasons to come to WJ and Encore, but a quick upgrade at Mainline isn't one of them.

Dashdriver88
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dashdriver88 »

JBI wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:37 pm
Joshc1988 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:24 pm Anyone have an estimate on upgrade times at WestJet Mainline? Someone off the the street.
Do you mean off the street directly to mainline and skipping Encore?

Right now YYC base is approximately 15 years, YVR base 14 years and YYZ 11 years. That's still based on COVID Numbers though. Just prior to COVID, 2012 hires were scheduled for YYZ upgrades as the most junior Captain at mainline. Unless WJ exercises a whole bunch of 787 options, I expect those times to increase further. There are many relatively young 737 Captains in their late 30s and early 40s who have another 20+ years in their seat before they retire.

Swoop Captains are significantly more junior, but the reality is that 5th year FO pay at mainline is better than 1st year Captain pay at Swoop.

Don't get me wrong, lots of good reasons to come to WJ and Encore, but a quick upgrade at Mainline isn't one of them.

Thank you so much

Return to “WestJet Encore”