Is it realistic to be a PT flight instructor

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

duele

Is it realistic to be a PT flight instructor

Post by duele »

Is it realistic to become a part-time flight instructor while working a regular 9-5 type job? I wouldn't be trying to move on to any other type of flying job, but am just interested in getting the rating and teaching in the early mornings, evenings, or weekends. Is anyone currently doing this or know of anyone doing this? Is it realistic or easier said than done? I'm a private pilot but think I'd enjoy teaching one day, as it would provide a little more purpose to my hobby and could make it more affordable as well.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is it realistic to be a PT flight instructor

Post by Skymark »

I just started PT instructing. It's very realistic and a fun gig! I'd say the only real issue can be getting flights. As PT I'm not at the airport all the time to pick up new intro/sightseeing flights that could lead to a student. That said, I just got a new student this weekend. Also, how available or flexible will your time be to schedule with a student so they can finish their rating/licence.

As a new instructor (class 4) you must work and be supervised at a flight training unit, or school.

PM me if you want any more info.

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

duele wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:16 pm Is it realistic to become a part-time flight instructor while working a regular 9-5 type job? I wouldn't be trying to move on to any other type of flying job, but am just interested in getting the rating and teaching in the early mornings, evenings, or weekends. Is anyone currently doing this or know of anyone doing this? Is it realistic or easier said than done? I'm a private pilot but think I'd enjoy teaching one day, as it would provide a little more purpose to my hobby and could make it more affordable as well.

Thanks

Short answer: YES

Early morning flights with a 9-5 job might be difficult unless you have a student who wants to fly those hours...

After 5pm is good for the summer. Winter time will give you problems unless you're teaching night ratings.

Weekends are more likely with professionals who want to fly weekends only (plenty of them around). Also, you'll probably get discovery flights...

With your schedule flight schools would love to use you as a ground school instructor teaching evening classes.

If you're not interested in building time for moving up PT instructing is totally doable to get your "fix". Remember - your schedule is at the mercy of your customers.

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

maturepilot83 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 am
duele wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:16 pm Is it realistic to become a part-time flight instructor while working a regular 9-5 type job? I wouldn't be trying to move on to any other type of flying job, but am just interested in getting the rating and teaching in the early mornings, evenings, or weekends. Is anyone currently doing this or know of anyone doing this? Is it realistic or easier said than done? I'm a private pilot but think I'd enjoy teaching one day, as it would provide a little more purpose to my hobby and could make it more affordable as well.

Thanks

Short answer: YES

Early morning flights with a 9-5 job might be difficult unless you have a student who wants to fly those hours...

After 5pm is good for the summer. Winter time will give you problems unless you're teaching night ratings.

Weekends are more likely with professionals who want to fly weekends only (plenty of them around). Also, you'll probably get discovery flights...

With your schedule flight schools would love to use you as a ground school instructor teaching evening classes.

What you need is a CPL and Instructor Rating.

If you're not interested in building time for moving up PT instructing is totally doable to get your "fix". Remember - your schedule is at the mercy of your customers.

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

I've been a flight instructor for 43 years now I work only 3 days a week at a flight school and sometimes will do a full week out of town for additional revenue in the summer, instructors are in big demand right now as most flight schools have more students than the instructors can handle, as a startup flight instructor you will probably have to work full time to move up to a Class 3 rating, cheers

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but it will actually be very difficult as a Class 4 instructor.

With a full-time job which already takes you away from family and friends are you truly willing to give up the rest of your free time? Part-time students particularly expect their instructor to be available when they want since it's not easy to do a flight the next day. And since you are part-time a big part of your commitment to the deal is to be available whenever a student that agrees to work with your limited availability wants to fly. The student's flights are going to be sporadic enough without even more gaps because their instructor wasn't available due to being off with their family or some other personal event.

More importantly though is the difficulty you'll have developing as a Class 4 with sporadic flights. Supervision isn't (or at least it shouldn't be) merely a bothersome paperwork exercise you have to go through. Properly managed, it is a vital development process for you with your supervising instructor. This requires a significant amount of time and effort since, to be worthwhile, you both have to spend time discussing the student and the specific training for a given flight. The supervisor can't provide much guidance if they don't know the details of the student and the student's place in the syllabus. With sporadic flights and significant gaps between them, keeping track of exactly what's going on is a problem. And with out any experience to fall back on, a Class 4 isn't able to rely on their own knowledge of how to deal with the specific situation. And is the supervising instructor available on the same sporadic basis as you intend to fly?

I realize that supervision is viewed by some as merely a paper exercise forced upon them by TC, but it actually is a vital part of becoming an effective instructor - when it is done well.

Part-time jobs are best suited for situations where experience isn't required and/or where the part-time employee has significant experience and full-time flexibility.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
duele

Post by duele »

Looks like we have some firm yes's and firm no's. I will flip a coin and let you know what it says. Thank you though for the input.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Rather than flip a coin make a decision based on the fact that in Canada you will be stuck at the class 4 level forever if you plan on doing it part time.

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

...Canada you will be stuck at the class 4 level forever if you plan on doing it part time
Is that so bad? And I don't agree. It might take to longer to advance, but no reason you can't. I know a couple of Class 1's who worked part-time.

duele

Post by duele »

Excuse my ignorance but what are the implications of remaining a Class 4 instructor? Does a part-time flight instructor necessarily need to move up the class levels?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Class 4 instructor: must teach under the direct supervision of a Class 1 or 2 instructor and must teach at an FTU: no freelance work.

Their students need a sign off from the supervising instructor before approval for a flight test, and before a first solo flight.

And the Class 4 instructor needs to renew their class 4 rating annually, with a flight instructor re-test, or by attending an approved seminar.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

And the Class 4 instructor needs to renew their class 4 rating annually, with a flight instructor re-test, or by attending an approved seminar.
Which means you could be working and it is costing you money.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Perhaps a better plan is to find yourself a nice little Champ, fly the daylights out of it until you’re really really good at it then do tailwheel checkouts in your evenings.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Good luck with getting insurance for that.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

photofly wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:15 pm Good luck with getting insurance for that.
It’s been done before, should be doable again.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

When you’ve actually tried it, get back to me, and we can compare notes.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I had both a J3 Cub and a Taylorcraft in my flight school and they worked out just fine and I never ever had any problems training pilots or renting them.

Insurance was no problem, maybe it helped I had a a diverse fleet including an R22?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You had a flight school. The suggestion here is some random PPL guy in his own tailwheel plane charging money to teach, without even an instructor rating. Only one kind of organization cares more about paper than TC, and that’s an insurance underwriter.

Seriously: call your broker and tell them you have a PPL, want to buy a Champ, operate it privately, and earn a lot money from teaching people on it. Without an instructor rating. And that they’ll be flying solo on it, on your say so. I can hear the hysterical laughter from here.

Besides, where is this long line of people queuing to get tailwheel time?

duele

Post by duele »

Maybe it's most realistic for me to just get really big into Microsoft Flight Sim.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you like flying, and you think you’ll enjoy teaching it to other people, then go and get an instructor rating. If you enjoy the activity then it doesn’t matter what class of rating you have. Enjoy the journey and don’t fuss for the goals, and the goals will come soon enough.

Don’t forget you need to get a CPL first.

Return to “Flight Training”