Class 1 medical with second pilot restriction

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Class 1 medical with second pilot restriction

Post by photofly »

dialdriver wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:43 pm "The letter goes on to say, " You will therefore not be receiving a separate Category 3 Medical Certificate and PPL". So, if there was a requirement for different restrictions to my PPL flying, I would get separate documents. So, I could have a cat 1 and cat 3 with different restrictions.
It says "You will therefore not be receiving a separate Category 3 Medical Certificate and PPL" - my emphasis. Which is interesting. So it is possible to have both a CPL and PPL at the same time.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Do you mind describing how it imposes a burden on the operator if the position is multi-crew and the medical specifies it's valid for multi-crew Cat 1?
At the least, TC will require the other pilot flying with you to have incapacitation training which is a bit of a burden in training other crew, along with a shoulder harness (which I'm sure they wear anyway).
"Subject to a letter...". That letter states the "restrictions do not apply while using only the Private Pilot Privileges (PPL) of your professional (ATPL) license".
Excellent for you! Though I agree, it's odd wording, if you've got it take it! I tried to get exactly that wording in my "letter" and it was a hard no - the medical standards which applied to my CAT 1 would also apply to a CAT 3, had I had one. I couldn't even get a "no passengers" restriction, which I specifically asked for, and is a regulator possibility. Work with what you've got, though my opinion is that an "as or with" restriction is a disincentive for an operator to hire you, I think it's more reserved for "on the job already" pilots for a temporary condition.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

In terms of training, you will need to get the solo hours in for your CPL. That can be done with a CAT 3. You only need the CAT 1 when you are ready for the flight test and written exam. If your CAME is willing to issue you an unrestricted CAT 3, then you should have no trouble getting the solo requirements for you PPL and CPL. Once the solo requirements are complete, visit the CAME again and get the restricted CAT 1 issued for admission to the test.

A medical restriction will bar you from a lot of the traditional entry level jobs like bush flying or instructing. Ten years ago I would have said this was a death sentence for your career, but these days, with newly minted CPLs going directly into the right seat at Jazz or other regionals, I think you might stand a good chance. Just make sure you get done your training and get some experience before the next downturn (which is likely going to be in the next 12 months or so based on inflation and fuel prices)

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think you could make an very strong argument that to reject your application because of your medical restriction would be unlawfully to discriminate against you on the protected grounds of disability.

Every employer is required to make reasonable accommodations for disabled employees and applicants, up to the point of “undue hardship”.

The employer would have to show it would be unreasonably burdensome on them to accommodate your licence restriction. That’s a very high bar for an employer to meet; it would not be enough to show there was just some extra cost.

If an operation flies a lot of single-pilot operations then an unrestricted medical is a genuine occupational requirement, and it would be lawful to reject you. But if the operator has enough two pilot operations to be able to fit you in, they would be required to do so.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

If your CAME is willing to issue you an unrestricted CAT 3
There's a subtle but rather important in this case difference: The CAME performs and signs off your examination. TC issues the medical. CAME's and TC may disagree - TC will prevail. In my case my CAME, and two other medical doctors said they saw no reason for a temporary to my CAT 1, and indeed, one of the doctors signed off an unrestricted DZ driver's medical for me during the period. But, TC still though I should be restricted, and not even fly solo (I asked).

A ridiculous extreme example of this was decades back, I literally had my CAME medical exam and written CPL exam scheduled at Buttonville the same day. CAT 3 to CAT 1 medical in the morning, then written. The CAME signoff in my booklet was literally still wet when I presented it to support my CPL written exam. Nope, "Your examination is complete, but TC has not issued you the CAT 1, so no write" - and no negotiation. I had to go back a month later to write.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:46 am
If your CAME is willing to issue you an unrestricted CAT 3
There's a subtle but rather important in this case difference: The CAME performs and signs off your examination. TC issues the medical. CAME's and TC may disagree - TC will prevail. In my case my CAME, and two other medical doctors said they saw no reason for a temporary to my CAT 1, and indeed, one of the doctors signed off an unrestricted DZ driver's medical for me during the period. But, TC still though I should be restricted, and not even fly solo (I asked).

A ridiculous extreme example of this was decades back, I literally had my CAME medical exam and written CPL exam scheduled at Buttonville the same day. CAT 3 to CAT 1 medical in the morning, then written. The CAME signoff in my booklet was literally still wet when I presented it to support my CPL written exam. Nope, "Your examination is complete, but TC has not issued you the CAT 1, so no write" - and no negotiation. I had to go back a month later to write.
Point well taken.

Return to “Flight Training”