past use of marijuana and drugs

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dexter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: past use of marijuana and drugs

Post by Dexter »

allcompasspoints wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:43 am Hi I am in my early twenties right now, I'm still a couple years from applying to Air Canada or Westjet. As like many kids in high school I experimented with marijuana and other drugs recreationally but it was never a problem for me, I haven't done any "other drugs" in years and I have recently stopped using marijuana all together. My question is will my past use of drugs and marijuana effect my application to Air Canada or Westjet even if down the line when it is time to apply I haven't used any of them in years? I suspect I'm an not the only Air Canada hopeful that has used some from of drug in the past. Second question is do Air Canada and Westjet use polygraph tests to check this sort of thing?
Perhaps it is best that you consider an alternate vocation. Have you considered something in the arts? Your decisions illustrate poor judgement, a lack of professionalism, self accountability, self respect and focus. These are character flaws that don't just go away. I think you might find that you wouldn't fit in with colleagues that have the right stuff, so much so that you would not enjoy it to the point of quitting... if you could even get that far.
---------- ADS -----------

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Raincoast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Raincoast »

disregard the 'nattering nabobs of negativism' - you'll do fine. I wouldn't go advertising the fact that you've used in the past - it *is* a competitive process to get into AC, and you never know what yould be the (negative) tipping point. To the best of my knowledge, there's no polygraph or anything else

One of the biggest potheads I knew in high school is sitting quite pretty after 25-ish years at AC; his past drug use doesn't seem to have hindered his career..

I think that the takeaway is that you've experimented in the past, and for whatever reasons, use no longer - as long as you stick with that, then all's good.
I'm in that boat, also - experimented in high school, and haven't touched the stuff in decades, as it's become inconsistent with my lifestyle as an adult. I'm pretty much a teetotaler for alcohol, also. Amazing the number of people who will rail on about the evils of cannabis, but who then go home and crack a beer. Every night.

Good Luck

ItsGoodEnough
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ItsGoodEnough »

It’s a legitimate question.

Obviously the best scenario is that you’ve never done a drug and can simply answer the truth if asked that question. “No I haven’t”

However AC and WS are unlikely to blackball you over something you did 5-10 years ago so long as you don’t have a criminal record.

What they will blackball you for is being untruthful. The interview and psych exams require honesty.

Good luck.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

ItsGoodEnough wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:08 pm The interview and psych exams require honesty.
Username checks out.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Kennedy007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kennedy007 »

I think they will not find out if you don’t tell them. It’s not that big of a deal if you’re clean now.
Also, you can always tell them that you did that for medical purposes only. You had back pains or some anxiety issues and had to go to Best Oklahoma dispensaries to get some help.
I am not sure about the laws in your area but here where I live, they don’t care about it too much if you are clean now and if you have never used “other drugs.” Weed is not considered to be something terrible anymore, but it also depends on the person you meet. So, better be careful and don’t talk too much.

Last edited by Kennedy007 on Wed May 11, 2022 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
elonmusk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by elonmusk »

Kennedy007 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:45 pm I think they will not find out if you don’t tell them. It’s not that big of a deal if you’re clean now.
Also, you can always tell them that you did that for medical purposes only. You had back pains or some anxiety issues and had to go to Best Oklahoma dispensaries to get some help.
:lol:

Yeah that will get you the job for sure.

Kassange
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kassange »

Back in the day, I was a bit of an adventurous soul myself. Tried a few things, but like you, it was just a phase. Life moves on, right? From what I've gathered, as long as you've left that stuff in the past and can show that you've grown, companies like Air Canada and Westjet might be cool with it. As for polygraph tests, I've heard mixed things, but they might focus more on recent behavior. Who knows, by the time you apply, policies might change.

Return to “Air Canada”