past use of marijuana and drugs

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

allcompasspoints
Rank 0
Rank 0

past use of marijuana and drugs

Post by allcompasspoints »

Hi I am in my early twenties right now, I'm still a couple years from applying to Air Canada or Westjet. As like many kids in high school I experimented with marijuana and other drugs recreationally but it was never a problem for me, I haven't done any "other drugs" in years and I have recently stopped using marijuana all together. My question is will my past use of drugs and marijuana effect my application to Air Canada or Westjet even if down the line when it is time to apply I haven't used any of them in years? I suspect I'm an not the only Air Canada hopeful that has used some from of drug in the past. Second question is do Air Canada and Westjet use polygraph tests to check this sort of thing?
---------- ADS -----------

dissent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: past use of marijuana and drugs

Post by dissent »

Last edited by dissent on Mon May 31, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

Don't feed the trolls :roll:

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

allcompasspoints wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:43 am Hi I am in my early twenties right now, I'm still a couple years from applying to Air Canada or Westjet. As like many kids in high school I experimented with marijuana and other drugs recreationally but it was never a problem for me, I haven't done any "other drugs" in years and I have recently stopped using marijuana all together. My question is will my past use of drugs and marijuana effect my application to Air Canada or Westjet even if down the line when it is time to apply I haven't used any of them in years? I suspect I'm an not the only Air Canada hopeful that has used some from of drug in the past. Second question is do Air Canada and Westjet use polygraph tests to check this sort of thing?
Yes you will be required to pass a polygraph. If they suspect you are lying you may be called back for waterboarding. They will find out the truth so don’t try lying.

Icamefromspace
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Icamefromspace »

I wouldn't worry so much about the polygraph when you have the spinal tap to worry about.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

As silly as it sounds, some companies (outside of Canada) do require to pass a polygraph test, Copa Airlines for example.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

AC will let you know who's boss before you are even employed during the medical. The prostate exam in this case is more symbolic than medicinal.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Dont ask, and dont tell. Thats a policy that goes for other things too, ya know.

Other drugs eh? Were ya rippin rails while learning about Louis Riel? Crack is whack.

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh »

Lol

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Icamefromspace wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:09 pm I wouldn't worry so much about the polygraph when you have the spinal tap to worry about.
Worry about the spinal tap?!? You should EMBRACE the SPINAL TAP!!!!

PS: I know I'm old.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

5x5 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:52 am
Icamefromspace wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:09 pm I wouldn't worry so much about the polygraph when you have the spinal tap to worry about.
Worry about the spinal tap?!? You should EMBRACE the SPINAL TAP!!!!

PS: I know I'm old.
+1

All of our Airbus aircraft have 6 flap positions, thats one higher than every other Airbus aircraft.

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh »

Hey guys, sorry to revive an older thread, just looking for an update on the AC medical, including polygraph, spinal tap and/or waterboarding? I'm pretty good in the water so I think I could last the whole duration on the board.

Best of luck OP!

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

I wonder pre-employment drug testing works now. Since it's legal can you really discriminate against someone with it in their system? I know it's not allowed by Air Canada for their pilots but you are not an Air Canada pilot yet.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

It's not allowed by any pilot.
So if you are a pilot and it's in your system...
Yes I know TC isn't your doctor and isn't your company policy.
So up to the individual user.
Or abstainer?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Just put a thumb tack in your shoe for the polygraph, and whenever they ask you about your time as a Hells Angels joint rolling professional step down HARD on the tack. The pain will screw up your brain waves and make the polygraph inconclusive.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:44 pm I wonder pre-employment drug testing works now.
That is not a legal thing, never was either. Its been challenged in court and won, but it still happens which is retarded.

skytramp2800
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skytramp2800 »

My TC doc explained it to me this way.... half life is around 3 days for the THC/CBD in your system, so TC's 28 day rule. Of course, if you're doing a couple of blunts before supper, it might be longer. Accordingly, if you just did a spliff for the very first time ( that'll pop yer cherry) it will not take as long. :rolleyes:

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

No polygraph, but you should actually include an admission of guilt with your application. If you don't, during the "interview process" you will be given a heavy dose of sodium pentothal to determine the truth regarding your past misadventures in narcotics. The irony being of course, that you will consequently fail the piss test due to the presence of barbiturates.

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :prayer:
shimmydampner wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:31 pm No polygraph, but you should actually include an admission of guilt with your application. If you don't, during the "interview process" you will be given a heavy dose of sodium pentothal to determine the truth regarding your past misadventures in narcotics. The irony being of course, that you will consequently fail the piss test due to the presence of barbiturates.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I think you should join the College of Professional Pilots of Canada. For two reasons... One, you'll have a lobbying group to support you when you get rejected for drug use. And two, you'll be able to learn from others who are smoking something.

Return to “Air Canada”