Iatra or Atpl

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flycomercial
Rank 1
Rank 1

Iatra or Atpl

Post by flycomercial »

Hello all,

Just wonder if Encore hires someone who hasn't written ATPL yet. I plan to apply soon and want to make sure if I should write A's before applying or IATRA is sufficient. And does Encore offers PICUS? If not, should I have all the pic hours that require for ATPL prior to getting a job?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

sky.is.limited
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Iatra or Atpl

Post by sky.is.limited »

They would hire someone without ATPL, but you need IATRA to fly their planes as its a designated two crew planes that listed on the transport canada website. Once you got hired, they told you to get the ATPL done within a year. So eventually you need the ATPL done anyways, so it depends how much time you have, if the ground school starts almost right away for some reasons, and you only have less than a couple months, IATRA is the quickest and easiest to get you going, but ATPL is better if you can get it done in a couple months while doing the training at the same time. Hope it helps.

flycomercial
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flycomercial »

sky.is.limited wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:12 am They would hire someone without ATPL, but you need IATRA to fly their planes as its a designated two crew planes that listed on the transport canada website. Once you got hired, they told you to get the ATPL done within a year. So eventually you need the ATPL done anyways, so it depends how much time you have, if the ground school starts almost right away for some reasons, and you only have less than a couple months, IATRA is the quickest and easiest to get you going, but ATPL is better if you can get it done in a couple months while doing the training at the same time. Hope it helps.
I currently have IATRA with me, so that won't be a problem. But do I need to have all the pic time that is required for ATPL prior to the hiring? Just need couple more hours of pic time, and I'm thinking to rent a plane to gain those in case they don't offer picus.

sky.is.limited
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sky.is.limited »

flycomercial wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm
sky.is.limited wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:12 am They would hire someone without ATPL, but you need IATRA to fly their planes as its a designated two crew planes that listed on the transport canada website. Once you got hired, they told you to get the ATPL done within a year. So eventually you need the ATPL done anyways, so it depends how much time you have, if the ground school starts almost right away for some reasons, and you only have less than a couple months, IATRA is the quickest and easiest to get you going, but ATPL is better if you can get it done in a couple months while doing the training at the same time. Hope it helps.
I currently have IATRA with me, so that won't be a problem. But do I need to have all the pic time that is required for ATPL prior to the hiring? Just need couple more hours of pic time, and I'm thinking to rent a plane to gain those in case they don't offer picus.
That I actually don't know because I don't work for them. Sorry!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

flycomercial wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:20 pm Just wonder if Encore hires someone who hasn't written ATPL yet. I plan to apply soon and want to make sure if I should write A's before applying or IATRA is sufficient. And does Encore offers PICUS? If not, should I have all the pic hours that require for ATPL prior to getting a job?
I can’t help but I can say in some ways these questions blow my mind. When I was in your position I probably would have committed a murder to get a job with a 705 airline, had they asked me to. Incredible how things have changed, and quickly.

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

Encore is in the process of bringing a PICUS program in now. It should be in place in the next few months. If I were you, I would just write the Aa’s, because you will need them anyways.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

flycomercial wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:20 pm Hello all,

Just wonder if Encore hires someone who hasn't written ATPL yet. I plan to apply soon and want to make sure if I should write A's before applying or IATRA is sufficient. And does Encore offers PICUS? If not, should I have all the pic hours that require for ATPL prior to getting a job?

Thanks
PICUS goes online at Encore in the next few days/weeks

flycomercial
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flycomercial »

tps8903 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:25 am
flycomercial wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:20 pm Hello all,

Thanks
PICUS goes online at Encore in the next few days/weeks
That is awesome. I am planning to write my A's soon and hope to apply Encore by beginning of next year.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

As was just mentioned....PICUS is happening at Encore. If you're able to, I would suggest writing your A's before starting. The first year at Encore, you are busy with initial training, your first recurrent, trying to get the hang of things etc. and you likely won't want to study during layovers or your days off.....So if you have enough free time now to study and write your A's, you'll be able to just relax and not have to worry about it on your days off. I wrote my A's after I got hired, and I regretted not having done them before I started.

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

If one uses the Encore PICUS option to top up the PIC for the ATPL, is it possible to progress to the left seat on the Q? Or do they have greater experience requirements in their promotional standards...?

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

angry inch wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:53 pm If one uses the Encore PICUS option to top up the PIC for the ATPL, is it possible to progress to the left seat on the Q? Or do they have greater experience requirements in their promotional standards...?
Moving to the left seat follows a matrix for experience. The two factors are Total Time and Time on Type. Regardless of the matrix you are eligible for upgrade after two calander years on the line. All PICUS at Encore is conducted in the right seat. Just for clarification.

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

Great info. Thanks!
tps8903 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:29 am
angry inch wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:53 pm If one uses the Encore PICUS option to top up the PIC for the ATPL, is it possible to progress to the left seat on the Q? Or do they have greater experience requirements in their promotional standards...?
Moving to the left seat follows a matrix for experience. The two factors are Total Time and Time on Type. Regardless of the matrix you are eligible for upgrade after two calander years on the line. All PICUS at Encore is conducted in the right seat. Just for clarification.

Return to “WestJet Encore”