Piper "Bushmaster" conversion

Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Piper "Bushmaster" conversion

Post by SkySailor »

Starting down the road to converting a short wing piper. Have been researching other sites more specific to this type of specialty. However, thought I would toss the idea out on this forum.
If you have actual experience, or know of good links to sources with credible information (not opinions), please advise! (not on 126.7!! :lol: ). PM if confidentiality is required. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

JVader
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Piper "Bushmaster" conversion

Post by JVader »

Are you a member of shortwingpipers.org? They have plans and lots of information on the conversion..
Also, not sure where you are in Canada but bbiaviation does conversions as well..

ghan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ghan »

I fly a Bushmaster conversion that I completed many years ago. Great airplane! I think you will find that the rules regarding conversion of an existing, certified airframe have become much more restrictive. If you want to register the airplane as an amateur built you will want to connect with the RAA to find out if your project will qualify.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

JVader wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:52 pm Are you a member of shortwingpipers.org? They have plans and lots of information on the conversion..
Also, not sure where you are in Canada but bbiaviation does conversions as well..
Yes. A member of both shortwingpipers.org, and supercub.org. Both sites have many members with years of experience. Definitely a gold mine for info.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

ghan wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:06 pm I fly a Bushmaster conversion that I completed many years ago. Great airplane! I think you will find that the rules regarding conversion of an existing, certified airframe have become much more restrictive. If you want to register the airplane as an amateur built you will want to connect with the RAA to find out if your project will qualify.
PM sent.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

ghan wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:06 pm I fly a Bushmaster conversion that I completed many years ago. Great airplane! I think you will find that the rules regarding conversion of an existing, certified airframe have become much more restrictive. If you want to register the airplane as an amateur built you will want to connect with the RAA to find out if your project will qualify.
In Canada it is not just as simple as registering a certified airframe as an amateur built. You will need to prove to the MD-RA http://www.md-ra.com/en/ that you built 51% of the airplane.

Ministers Delegates-Recreational Aviation (MD-RA) runs Canada's homebuilt aircraft construction process. http://www.md-ra.com/en/docs/special_insp

If you are building a homebuilt or plan to rebuild using certified airframe parts get in touch with MD-RA and register the project before you get too far along. Failing to do so may cost a lot more money and you may have to redo some of the build to register as an amateur built.

cbfraser
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cbfraser »

for those that have built bushmasters - what were your c of g ranges? and how did you determine them?

my nunbers from original builder 13 forward, 27 rear - from leading edge,empty 1700, gross 3000 - with IO360 230hp, D&E 66" wing

but I'm not sure how he came up with the 13/27

thanks in advance

Return to “Homebuilders”