Regional Airline Pilot to IFR Controller, worth the switch?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Regional Airline Pilot to IFR Controller, worth the switch?

Post by bearitus »

flying4dollars wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:08 pm Wonder what the OP ended up doing.

If you're still undecided, just remember money ain't everything. Job satisfaction goes a long way in terms of happiness and health. I joined aviation during 9/11 and I had a really tough time getting my first fo job and took forever to upgrade. The pay after my first upgrade was terrible and It wasn't until I went to a different operator where the money got significantly better. I've been flying professionally for 12 years now and 10 of that was spent on a 1900 and some king air. Only now am I on a jet and only now am I about to get my first jet command. It's been a long road and I could have made more money in that same amount of time doing something else do doubt.

However, I do know though that if I could go back in time, I'd still do this job again. I'd do things differently of course, but I wouldn't have wanted any other career. Though I would have done ATC if not this job, I'd always be day dreaming about the planes I'd be controlling.

Food for thought. As mentioned by another poster, you could always request a leave of absence (if possible) to pursue ATC and if you are successful after the 2 year training period, and happy with your choice, resign from your regional job. Either way, all other things considered, follow your heart. Cliche I know, but truer words are never spoken. It'll go a long ways in your life. Good luck!
I did end up going through the Atc selection course earlier this year and not getting selected following the FEAST assessment. It was a great learning experience and I learned that just because you can fly well you can't necessarily control well. I found that my multi tasking abilities simply weren't good enough past 3-4 tasks at a time and while that may be good enough to be a pilot it doesn't cut it for a controller. I have recently upgraded at my regional and now just waiting for my 2 year anniversary mark for the call from AC.
---------- ADS -----------

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

bearitus wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:16 am
flying4dollars wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:08 pm Wonder what the OP ended up doing.

If you're still undecided, just remember money ain't everything. Job satisfaction goes a long way in terms of happiness and health. I joined aviation during 9/11 and I had a really tough time getting my first fo job and took forever to upgrade. The pay after my first upgrade was terrible and It wasn't until I went to a different operator where the money got significantly better. I've been flying professionally for 12 years now and 10 of that was spent on a 1900 and some king air. Only now am I on a jet and only now am I about to get my first jet command. It's been a long road and I could have made more money in that same amount of time doing something else do doubt.

However, I do know though that if I could go back in time, I'd still do this job again. I'd do things differently of course, but I wouldn't have wanted any other career. Though I would have done ATC if not this job, I'd always be day dreaming about the planes I'd be controlling.

Food for thought. As mentioned by another poster, you could always request a leave of absence (if possible) to pursue ATC and if you are successful after the 2 year training period, and happy with your choice, resign from your regional job. Either way, all other things considered, follow your heart. Cliche I know, but truer words are never spoken. It'll go a long ways in your life. Good luck!
I did end up going through the Atc selection course earlier this year and not getting selected following the FEAST assessment. It was a great learning experience and I learned that just because you can fly well you can't necessarily control well. I found that my multi tasking abilities simply weren't good enough past 3-4 tasks at a time and while that may be good enough to be a pilot it doesn't cut it for a controller. I have recently upgraded at my regional and now just waiting for my 2 year anniversary mark for the call from AC.
Right on bud good on you for trying! And congrats on your upgrade! Enjoy it.

Curious, what is the FEAST assessment?

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

flying4dollars wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:26 am
bearitus wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:16 am

Right on bud good on you for trying! And congrats on your upgrade! Enjoy it.

Curious, what is the FEAST assessment?
Thanks, FEAST is the new assessment they use to weed out the best potential candidates for Atc training. It's all computer based and based on European ATC testing. Out of my group of 150 applicants who all passed round one and got invited to FEAST, 20 ended up being selected for training.

ATC.Aspirations
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ATC.Aspirations »

robshelle wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:48 am I made the switch in 97, left Borek at 1700 hours to go to ATC. It was a tough slog, but ended up making it VFR in Edmonton. No regrets, but do miss flying so now that my kids don’t need me as much, I am working on getting my flight instructor class 2 back, with the intention of part time flying.

The biggest thing I got was stability, which makes family life very good. In my opinion, VFR is the better way to go as the check out rates are better, qualification is quicker, just the pay is usually worse to start. But even in the smaller towers you can make 6 figures. You can then try IFR and train at your VFR salary, and have return rights if you don’t qualify. Also, YYC, YVR, YUL, YYZ towers make the big bucks too.

If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Robshelle
CYEG Tower
Hey Robshelle,

I am actually in the process of considering ATC and attending my first round of feast testing in Edmonton next week. I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer, if you would be so kind? I'm just wondering the best way to reach you? For some reason I am unable to direct message you. Perhaps you can DM me?

Thx.

Yvratc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Yvratc »

ATC is not the best job in the world. Yes it is good pay but after doing the job for 5 years it becomes very mundane and boring. If you want to work long hours with very little job satisfaction then ATC is for you...

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Yvratc wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:17 pm ATC is not the best job in the world. Yes it is good pay but after doing the job for 5 years it becomes very mundane and boring. If you want to work long hours with very little job satisfaction then ATC is for you...
I feel sad that you have not found ways after only 5 years to enjoy your job. I’ve been working for 13 and still love my
Job. long hours? I’m guessing you haven’t had any other « real » jobs outside ATC because I have friends who are lawyers, doctors etc....and they work WAY more hours than I do for similar pay. If you have little job satisfaction after 5 years my bet is you probably shouldn’t of started ATC as a career in the first place.

NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NJ »

Yvratc wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:17 pm ATC is not the best job in the world. Yes it is good pay but after doing the job for 5 years it becomes very mundane and boring. If you want to work long hours with very little job satisfaction then ATC is for you...
If you find it mundane and boring transfer specialties. There's always a new challenge, you are paid and have return rights. We aren't getting kudos and bonuses for our work, but know you are keeping the flying public safe. For me doing the job smoothly and professionally when the shit hits the fan is good satisfaction.

If you don't want to do that, then look at other opportunities like procedures committee, special project, union, OJT, DSC, UPS etc. If you go in and punch a clock, do zero above the minimum, and poo poo all the other opportunities that we have available you are well on your way to being bitter with a big pile of money at the end.

RunwayWindAltimer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RunwayWindAltimer »

+1 to the bidding out suggestion. There are units that are short and will have you working your ass off regularly.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”