Air Canada tailstrike in Hong Kong

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Air Canada tailstrike in Hong Kong

Post by Inverted2 »

“Then they bounced and during the bounce, the F/O's beverage container fell on the floor. This would really not be the ideal time to pick it up but guess what?......the F/O, still flying the aircraft reached down to do exactly that. A subsequent touchdown was nosegear first.”

I hope it was a solid gold yeti container full of unicorn tears. : :|
---------- ADS -----------

Let’s Go Brandon
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

pelmet wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:13 am The report is out.

https://www.thb.gov.hk/aaia/doc/Air%20C ... 0Dec21.pdf

For the fatigue caused another incident crowd....the pilots reported that they felt fine. 4 pilots on this flight.

For the windshear crowd.......there was a windshear alert of -25 knots to ATC about 12 minutes before the incident. However, the report states that the flights right before and after the incident flight reported no issues and that the FDR analysis showed a steady airspeed. Interpret as you like.

For the inexperienced pilot crowd....the pilot has plenty of hours. No mention of piloting ability in the report though(an AC insider would have to give us that).

According to the report, this incident was caused by PIO. The F/O adding more and more back and forth aileron inputs in the final couple of hundred feet. In fact, so much aileron input that he/she was going stop to stop with increasingly rapid inputs. Not quite sure how that sort of thing happens on any airliner in relatively smooth air. And the pilot had flown quite a few types.

Then there was no flare until the last second when an abrupt input was made once it became obvious that it should have been done earlier. Touchdown loading was over 3.5g.

Then they bounced and during the bounce, the F/O's beverage container fell on the floor. This would really not be the ideal time to pick it up but guess what?......the F/O, still flying the aircraft reached down to do exactly that. A subsequent touchdown was nosegear first.

While taxiing in, the captain mentioned that a there would have to be a tailstrike inspection and the F/O mentioned that to ATC. ATC didn't understand what was said and asked for clarification. The captain said to report severe turbulence. Therefore no runway inspection was made.

Actually, I did have a good hard landing by AC this past summer in an Embraer....nice weather too.

Amazing. AC stopped flying Embrarers well before this past summer.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:26 am “Then they bounced and during the bounce, the F/O's beverage container fell on the floor. This would really not be the ideal time to pick it up but guess what?......the F/O, still flying the aircraft reached down to do exactly that. A subsequent touchdown was nosegear first.”

Going to play devil's advocate here with disclosure; I have not flown the 777.

Having a solid drink container fall on the floor during landing can be dangerous as the forward force from deceleration may cause it to slide forward and interfere with the rudder pedals.

With that said, I recognize that I'm splitting hairs here. Really what needed to be done was a go-around, but many pilots these days are little bítches who are too afraid to admit that their approach isn't going the way it should and execute a missed approach.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Hangry wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:38 am
pelmet wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:13 am The report is out.

https://www.thb.gov.hk/aaia/doc/Air%20C ... 0Dec21.pdf

For the fatigue caused another incident crowd....the pilots reported that they felt fine. 4 pilots on this flight.

For the windshear crowd.......there was a windshear alert of -25 knots to ATC about 12 minutes before the incident. However, the report states that the flights right before and after the incident flight reported no issues and that the FDR analysis showed a steady airspeed. Interpret as you like.

For the inexperienced pilot crowd....the pilot has plenty of hours. No mention of piloting ability in the report though(an AC insider would have to give us that).

According to the report, this incident was caused by PIO. The F/O adding more and more back and forth aileron inputs in the final couple of hundred feet. In fact, so much aileron input that he/she was going stop to stop with increasingly rapid inputs. Not quite sure how that sort of thing happens on any airliner in relatively smooth air. And the pilot had flown quite a few types.

Then there was no flare until the last second when an abrupt input was made once it became obvious that it should have been done earlier. Touchdown loading was over 3.5g.

Then they bounced and during the bounce, the F/O's beverage container fell on the floor. This would really not be the ideal time to pick it up but guess what?......the F/O, still flying the aircraft reached down to do exactly that. A subsequent touchdown was nosegear first.

While taxiing in, the captain mentioned that a there would have to be a tailstrike inspection and the F/O mentioned that to ATC. ATC didn't understand what was said and asked for clarification. The captain said to report severe turbulence. Therefore no runway inspection was made.

Actually, I did have a good hard landing by AC this past summer in an Embraer....nice weather too.

Amazing. AC stopped flying Embrarers well before this past summer.
I have an unusual habit of marking things down for certain things. Comes from my mother's side of the family. But it does mean that I can sometimes go back and find details. I did that with my list of aircraft that I have flown on as a passenger. It has actually become a long list over the years.

You are correct. It was an A220 that has replaced what was always an Embraer flight for the last several years.

Thanks.

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

imjustlurking wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:15 am
Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:26 am “Then they bounced and during the bounce, the F/O's beverage container fell on the floor. This would really not be the ideal time to pick it up but guess what?......the F/O, still flying the aircraft reached down to do exactly that. A subsequent touchdown was nosegear first.”

Going to play devil's advocate here with disclosure; I have not flown the 777.

Having a solid drink container fall on the floor during landing can be dangerous as the forward force from deceleration may cause it to slide forward and interfere with the rudder pedals.

With that said, I recognize that I'm splitting hairs here. Really what needed to be done was a go-around, but many pilots these days are little bítches who are too afraid to admit that their approach isn't going the way it should and execute a missed approach.
I’ve never flown a 777 either and never will but in my 16,000 hours I’ve had lots of water bottles and other junk fall during flight and landing but never once did I think of grabbing at something on the floor especially during the most critical few seconds of a flight.

Let’s Go Brandon
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

imjustlurking wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:15 am Going to play devil's advocate here with disclosure; I have not flown the 777.

If you take a look at a lot of airliners like the 777, you will see that the pilots legs are in channels that go to the rudder pedals, It is not like a typical general aviation airplane where there is a wide open floor space. It is unlikely that a drink container will somehow get behind those rudder pedals with the pilot operating the aircraft. And if it does, just leave it there.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... cation.jpg

Just fly the aircraft.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

That is an ugly report. And it was a training Captain in the left seat to boot.

Nobody wants to do a go-around after a 15 hour flight. But that is what should have happened. Or transfer of control early enough to avoid the inevitable outcome of an unstable approach below 500AGL.

Lessons to be learned by all reading the report, particularly left seaters.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

pelmet wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:17 am
imjustlurking wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:15 am Going to play devil's advocate here with disclosure; I have not flown the 777.

If you take a look at a lot of airliners like the 777, you will see that the pilots legs are in channels that go to the rudder pedals, It is not like a typical general aviation airplane where there is a wide open floor space. It is unlikely that a drink container will somehow get behind those rudder pedals with the pilot operating the aircraft. And if it does, just leave it there.

Just fly the aircraft.
Honestly, with how little I've flown over the past few years, I'm not surprised that my mind went back to my Cessna days.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

imjustlurking wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:43 am

Just fly the aircraft.
Honestly, with how little I've flown over the past few years, I'm not surprised that my mind went back to my Cessna days.
Off subject but I do wonder if there was a reason it was designed like this. Why do I ask. There was a 747 incident over the Pacific a few years back where the rudder actuator failed resulting in one of the two rudder panels going to full deflection. Apparently a lot of rudder pressure was required to push the other rudder pedal the other way which was extremely tiring. The pilots took turns holding rudder input. I had thought that it might be nice to get both feet on one rudder pedal....but that is not possible with this design. Plus the control column is in the way.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=222509782636317

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

pelmet wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:11 pm
imjustlurking wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:43 am

Just fly the aircraft.
Off subject but I do wonder if there was a reason it was designed like this. Why do I ask. There was a 747 incident over the Pacific a few years back where the rudder actuator failed resulting in one of the two rudder panels going to full deflection. Apparently a lot of rudder pressure was required to push the other rudder pedal the other way which was extremely tiring. The pilots took turns holding rudder input. I had thought that it might be nice to get both feet on one rudder pedal....but that is not possible with this design. Plus the control column is in the way.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=222509782636317
Diving further away from what I know and into speculation, I suspect that the mechanism used to move the pedals fore and aft is covered by the box like structure. It's likely designed that large out of ease of building and maintenance.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”