Wil Jazz hire with instructing time only?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Wil Jazz hire with instructing time only?

Post by RegionalPilot »

FlackoJodye wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:42 pm Assuming that hiring will happen next year (based on the other topic on this forum), what chances does a Class 1 Flight instructor with 2000+ hrs Multi IFR rated and ATPL have in applying for Jazz then?
Should I apply for other regionals and build more multi two crew experience, or stick with instructing until they're well into hiring?
I would say it will be hard. Consider the following people that will have priority over you:

- March 30 and April 13 2020 GS groups;
- Everyone else that was in the POOL prior to COVID, I can see Jazz giving them another interview;
- Everyone that kept flying 703/704 since COVID and got their A’s and tons of MULTI-IFR;
- Integrated programs from 2020, 2021 & 2022. Jazz loves those candidates and in 2022, there will be 3 full classes of both Instructors and Students looking for a job.

The last point is IMO the biggest hurdle to a future employment for off the streets candidates. 12 schools x 3 classes + Instructors = Probably 300 potential candidates.

If I were you, I would try to get some commercial 703/704 time in order to make your profile more desirable.

I would add on top of that, we can’t expect a lot of flow from Jazz to AC for the next 3 years. Flying will be coming back progressively, and the new duty rules will help inflating the amount of crew required per tail. AC will be a smaller company going forward. Retirements are still happening tho.

I hope this gives you a small glimpse of the situation. Everything can change tomorrow morning if we’re lucky and COVID is fading quicker than expected.
---------- ADS -----------

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

- Integrated programs from 2020, 2021 & 2022. Jazz loves those candidates and in 2022, there will be 3 full classes of both Instructors and Students looking for a job.

The last point is IMO the biggest hurdle to a future employment for off the streets candidates. 12 schools x 3 classes + Instructors = Probably 300 potential candidates.
I'd argue that they are somewhat down the list now...two years ago when there was a shortage of experienced candidates out there, then well-trained ones fit the bill; now there's lots of experience seeking work, and so the talent pool is a little deeper...
IMO...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Good answers so far.

I've considered becoming a career flight instructor at some point, since I spent my pre-flying days teaching CAD (computer aided design). I always loved being in the classroom and sharing my knowledge with students. The problem was that it was too expensive at the time for me to get my Instructor Rating and the jobs were hard to find. The financial risk didn't justify it, so I decided to go work the ramp instead. After some years I joined Jazz with 2500+ hrs of turbine (including PIC) and small jet experience.

I think that experience is valuable, regardless what you do in life. That applies to "instructing time" as well, however the thing you must ask yourself and prioritize is how competitive will you be compared to others that have flown Metros, King Airs, small jets, etc?

My advice is to try applying at Jazz. If you can't get in, I recommend you find a multi crew turbine or jet job, build some time and then re-apply again.

RoAF-Mig21

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

FlackoJodye wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:42 pm Assuming that hiring will happen next year (based on the other topic on this forum), what chances does a Class 1 Flight instructor with 2000+ hrs Multi IFR rated and ATPL have in applying for Jazz then?
Should I apply for other regionals and build more multi two crew experience, or stick with instructing until they're well into hiring?
If I were you, I’d be applying to every 703/704 in your area and maybe joining provinces. There is going to be a massive flush of pilots happening in the coming weeks as everyone returns to Jazz and Encore. Get a change of scenery, get the juices going again with a new aircraft and start getting some “fun” into your logbook.

After 1 year start weighing the pros and cons of going left seat or moving to Jazz.

My guess is with your instructing experience and 703/704 experience… you’ll slot in front of some college kids at that time.

Just my 2 cents

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Transition9er2 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:44 pm
If I were you, I’d be applying to every 703/704 in your area and maybe joining provinces. There is going to be a massive flush of pilots happening in the coming weeks as everyone returns to Jazz and Encore. Get a change of scenery, get the juices going again with a new aircraft and start getting some “fun” into your logbook.

After 1 year start weighing the pros and cons of going left seat or moving to Jazz.

My guess is with your instructing experience and 703/704 experience… you’ll slot in front of some college kids at that time.

Just my 2 cents
Both Jazz and Encore are nearly all recalled. WestJet will be fully (or near fully) recalled by summer 2022. Flair is already hiring OTS.

If things continue, you might have your chance by this time next year.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”