Road to CPL/MEIR

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

studentpil0t
Rank 1
Rank 1

Road to CPL/MEIR

Post by studentpil0t »

Hello flyers,

I hold a FAA ASEL PPL/IR however the IR is lapsed. The FAA PPL is in the process of being converted to TC standards.

I was getting around to converting the IR however I'm currently having a hard time locating a facility (In Canada) willing to let me & my FAA instructor conduct the IPC.

Ideally I wanted to do it in a simulator. Can you legally conduct a FAA IPC in a Transport Canada approved ATD? Or does the sim have to also be approved/recognized by FAA?

The end goal here is TC CPL + ME/IR. Is it vital for me to convert my IR ticket at the stage I'm at? Or can I work towards my CPL + MEIR? I intend on doing it at some point! (I stand a great chance of getting it sorted towards summer break)
---------- ADS -----------

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Road to CPL/MEIR

Post by nbinont »

As you've discovered, the conversion process is really meant to convert current and active pilots from one country to the other. Either get current (and IPC) and then convert or drop the non-current parts and convert the rest.

Your biggest concern here is likely that you haven't been actively flying for a while - you're going to need some time to get back up to standards.

From a conversion point of view, it is best to go to a FAA flight school, fly with a FAA instructor and do the IPC. Then convert. (The simulator question would be one for the FAA. But I suspect they would have some questions as to why you can't use a FAA certified simulator to do the FAA IPC...) Keep in mind this will take some time to get proficient again. Then once you convert, start looking at the CPL training requirements (you can take credit for the IR 20 hour requirement, but this doesn't reduce the CPL 35hr dual instruction requirement).

If you choose not to convert the IR, you'll have to meet the training requirements of a Canadian IR ( http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 7fd#421_46 ). Experience should not be an issue. However, there's a requirement of 5hr instrument dual from a Canadian flight instructor and 15hr instrument dual from an authorized person that you would have to meet. You'll spend half that time getting up to standards again anyways, and all that times is creditable towards CPL requirements.

Then you look at the CPL requirements. Your total training time will be less with the later approach because you can count all the time getting back up to standards and doing the IR towards your CPL training requirements.

Get in with a good smaller flight school/club that caters to those studying independently (as opposed to via a university program), and explain the scenario to them. If you're doing your CPL, ME, IFR group 1 with them, they should be able to help you with your training.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Here are the rules, I’m sure you’ve read this document carefully:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviatio ... 1-001.html

It’s worth noting that document predates the concept of Canadian instrument proficiency checks, and comes from a time when a Canadian instrument rating needed to be renewed every two years; there was nothing like a “lapsed” Canadian IR. It’s possible that TC will now convert an IR without a recent IPC, since you would then need a Canadian IPC before being able to exercise the privileges of the rating. Have you enquired at a TC office? They have many internal procedures and changes they don’t publish to the public.

nbinont wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:24 pm However, there's a requirement of 5hr instrument dual from a Canadian flight instructor and 15hr instrument dual from an authorized person that you would have to meet.
Transport Canada’s policy is to accept dual instructional time with an instructor from any ICAO country towards the dual requirements for licences and ratings in Canada, so this should not be an issue.

I know this to be true for students who want credit for partial PPL training abroad, but I expect the policy is applied towards other licences and ratings too,

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

photofly wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:41 am
nbinont wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:24 pm However, there's a requirement of 5hr instrument dual from a Canadian flight instructor and 15hr instrument dual from an authorized person that you would have to meet.
Transport Canada’s policy is to accept dual instructional time with an instructor from any ICAO country towards the dual requirements for licences and ratings in Canada, so this should not be an issue.

I know this to be true for students who want credit for partial PPL training abroad, but I expect the policy is applied towards other licences and ratings too,
Ah, I stand corrected. That's a nice reasonable policy.

studentpil0t
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by studentpil0t »

nbinont wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:24 pm As you've discovered, the conversion process is really meant to convert current and active pilots from one country to the other. Either get current (and IPC) and then convert or drop the non-current parts and convert the rest.

Your biggest concern here is likely that you haven't been actively flying for a while - you're going to need some time to get back up to standards.

From a conversion point of view, it is best to go to a FAA flight school, fly with a FAA instructor and do the IPC. Then convert. (The simulator question would be one for the FAA. But I suspect they would have some questions as to why you can't use a FAA certified simulator to do the FAA IPC...) Keep in mind this will take some time to get proficient again. Then once you convert, start looking at the CPL training requirements (you can take credit for the IR 20 hour requirement, but this doesn't reduce the CPL 35hr dual instruction requirement).

If you choose not to convert the IR, you'll have to meet the training requirements of a Canadian IR ( http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 7fd#421_46 ). Experience should not be an issue. However, there's a requirement of 5hr instrument dual from a Canadian flight instructor and 15hr instrument dual from an authorized person that you would have to meet. You'll spend half that time getting up to standards again anyways, and all that times is creditable towards CPL requirements.

Then you look at the CPL requirements. Your total training time will be less with the later approach because you can count all the time getting back up to standards and doing the IR towards your CPL training requirements.

Get in with a good smaller flight school/club that caters to those studying independently (as opposed to via a university program), and explain the scenario to them. If you're doing your CPL, ME, IFR group 1 with them, they should be able to help you with your training.
I should be issued my TC PPL soon. What if I were to complete my TC CPL and then get my FAA IR current. Convert it, and then work towards the ME-IFR?

I'll still be able to take credit for the IR 20 hour requirement for the CPL flight test?

I'm aware of the 35hr dual instruction requirement.Based off what I've gathered from 421.30 that includes the 30 solo hours too? (Since that time was for my IR ticket)

So if I were to complete my TC CPL, renew then convert my FAA IR, I'll be issued a group 3 Instrument rating. (all flight time in ASEL)

Then if I now work towards a ME-IFR rating it would also involve upgrading from group 3 to group 1 making the transition efficient.Right?

tanxiaoneng
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tanxiaoneng »

I've contacted TC licensing, and I don't think foreign dual may count towards Canadian CPL dual. For someone who wants to do a Canadian CPL (not converting one), he/she needs at least 35 dual and 30 solo under the supervision of a Canadian instructor.

That said, were you able to locate an FAA CFII in Canada to do your FAA IPC?

Cheers,

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

tanxiaoneng wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:37 am I've contacted TC licensing, and I don't think foreign dual may count towards Canadian CPL dual. For someone who wants to do a Canadian CPL (not converting one), he/she needs at least 35 dual and 30 solo under the supervision of a Canadian instructor.

That said, were you able to locate an FAA CFII in Canada to do your FAA IPC?

Cheers,
I converted an overseas ICAO commercial to a canadian one, and they counted any dual time done after my foreign PPL as meeting the requirement. In TCs eyes all I needed to do was the written and flight tests.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Documented foreign flight time is accepted. When I was a full time instructor I got a PPL for a new student largely based on his flight training in Botswana

I would suggest the best way for the OP to proceed is to sit down with a senior instructor of a Canadian FTU and go through the Canadian CPL and IR requirements and match up what he already has with the Canadian requirements. The identified differences (eg spins) will be what he has to do as additional training to qualify for a Canadian CPL and IR.

The bottom line is a Canadian instructor has to recommend him for the flight tests and therefore must satisfy themselves the candidate has the required competencies so everything on the CPL and IR syllabus will have to be reviewed.

My experience is that if the CPL application comes with a breakdown of US and Canadian training and an explanation of how the training meets the CARS requirements then the license application will go through with no problems.

With respect to the IR I would suggest to just do a Canadian IR flight test rather than trying to regain the FAA IR as you are going to need refresher training anyway so you might as well do it under the Canadian system.

Return to “Flight Training”