Top Tips

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Top Tips

Post by RatMan »

Hello Friends,

Starting ground school soon and I’m wondering if anybody can share some top tips for success or how to make things a little easier. To be clear, I’m not “looking for answers”. I’m looking for “know the take off brief” or “read the AOM, specifically Ch3” or “be sure to avoid Rosco’s Chicken n Waffles before you check ride sim”, etc.

Thanks ahead of time.

RM
---------- ADS -----------

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Top Tips

Post by laserstrike »

Drink lots of coolaide

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

These two items will make life a lot easier.
RatMan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:43 pm know the take off brief
RatMan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:43 pm read the AOM,

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

When I did initial training, I booked myself in the GFS several times with my sim partner to practice flows, checklists, normal procedures etc. It was extremely helpful going in there to practice. Just email the training department and they can see if there are times available to schedule you in there for your own practice.

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

tbayav8er wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:06 pm When I did initial training, I booked myself in the GFS several times with my sim partner to practice flows, checklists, normal procedures etc. It was extremely helpful going in there to practice. Just email the training department and they can see if there are times available to schedule you in there for your own practice.
I've always gone in on my study days for every type rating I've ever done to practice flows. Even got to use the IPT by ourselves a bunch of times. Guys showed us how up set it up for just basic take off.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

First of all, congrats and welcome to Encore!

A few tips that helped but that I also learned the hard way:

1- While the goal of training is obviously for the new hire to learn, don't expect them to spoon feed you. While I found the initial training tough with trying to figure out what was 'need to know' vs. 'nice to know', I probably could have done a little more self study with the goal of sim sessions not so much "ok, let's learn how to do this" as "ok, let me show you what I know ... but keep practicing and getting better with what I don't"

2- If you have questions, spend some time trying to find out the answer but then ask! No one will be judging you if you don't know something. Especially considering for most new hires this will be the first time flying 705 or with an FMS or with an autopilot or with FAs etc etc, there are lots of new things. The worst thing that can happen is that you pass your ride but on line indoc the Captains realize that you were just trying to 'fake it to make it' - it's much better to ask questions and get answers.

3- Spend extra time in the GFS and going over the emergency calls.

4- Don't worry if you don't really enjoy training, flying the line is much more fun.

5- If you are working hard but things are not quite clicking, generally speaking don't worry. The company is not out to try and flunk you out of training. Unless there are significant issues (be it skill, attitude or something else), it's not the end of the world if you need a bit of training or fail the ride.

6- The Q400 is challenging to land, but the SIM is even harder! So don't get discouraged when (not if) it seems you're smacking it down on the runway in the sim.

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

Thanks very much to all (especially JBI) for the help. Some great tips in there that should make things a little less daunting and a lot more enjoyable.

:D

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

RatMan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:43 pm Hello Friends,

Starting ground school soon and I’m wondering if anybody can share some top tips for success or how to make things a little easier. To be clear, I’m not “looking for answers”. I’m looking for “know the take off brief” or “read the AOM, specifically Ch3” or “be sure to avoid Rosco’s Chicken n Waffles before you check ride sim”, etc.

Thanks ahead of time.

RM
You'll be assigned a mentor. They are a valuable resource. Reach out to them when you have questions. That's what they volunteer for.

Do your systems moduals each night that are applicable for the next days classes. Don't get behind on your self study and also don't get ahead. There is a lot of info, and if you get ahead or behind you'll be wishing you hadn't.

What JB said. Book an extra session or two in the GFS around the time you start GFS. Get your flows down cold and the safety briefing as well .

Don't worry about the Captain flows and stuff. Nice to know stuff (once you know your stuff) to help the PPC flow better but you will not be graded on it unless your are a direct entry captain.

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

Greatly appreciated, TPS! :)

DirtyDashDriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DirtyDashDriver »

I can't stress the importance of what JBI said in his #1 and #2 points and what tps8903 said about your mentor.

1. I have all the time in the world and then some for students who come into the GFS, Sim, and Line Indoc who demonstrate they've prepared. I'm not looking for perfection, I'm looking for growth over time. That starts with the basic foundations that you bring to the sim centre through your self-study. It's blunt, but you're a professional, so you have to act like it. It is for this reason I have zero time for those students who show up and say "yeah, I didn't think I'd need it" or "I figure you'd show me." If you come in acting like an amateur, be prepared to be treated like one. This includes you coming in with the knowledge you need for your license and ratings, which leads me to the next point.

2. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. You cannot know everything, and every pilot has strengths and weaknesses. I don't expect to have to answer a question about how an ILS works, or about the weather at a cold front, or the difference between the different classes of airspace. But if you ask, I will answer or we will find the answer together. Despite what my wife thinks, I cannot read minds and to the best of my knowledge, none of the other instructors have that ability. So speak up. We've all been there. That is, after all, what your mentor and instructors are for. We've signed up for this and we want to help you answer your questions.

3. DO NOT GO FASTER THAN 200 KNOTS IN THE SIMULATOR

A) unless the briefing begins with the words LOFT, mini-LOFT, cross-country, or a phrase similar to "today we will be looking a how to load and fly a STAR" you're not going that far from the departure airport. You're flying a Dash, not the Enterprise. Give yourself time and fly at 200 knots. You're helping yourself more than the instructor.

B) 200 knots will keep you from violating the speed limit order in a control zone. Too many students level off at 3,000 feet within 10 nm of a controlled airport and then allow the aircraft to accelerate past warp ten. Then they have me over their shoulder asking them why they're breaking the law. At best you do this during training. At worst you do this during a ride where the ACP is specifically looking for such things. Don't worry young padawan, you'll see 250 knots before too long. It's difficult enough learning the new airplane without having me blasting you for forgetting things you had to know for your PSTAR.

4. SLOW DOWN - you this time

You DO NOT GET EXTRA POINTS for going fast during a flow, checklist, or memory item. In fact, you're more likely to hear us yell from the back of the sim for you to slow down. Take your time, confirm things, and breathe. Do you hear a master caution? Breathe. Do you hear the master warning? Breathe. Do you hear the fire alarm? Breathe three times and sing kumbaya. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the emergency. Because if you go fast, it's gonna be you who's doing the crying.

5. Unless it is a Memory Item, Checklists are not memorized.

This goes for the current line pilots more than the new ones, but you'll get to this point eventually, about sim Day 5. You'll begin calling items from a checklist (i.e. the Before Start) without actually reading the checklist. It might still be in the pocket. Hell, it might even be in your hand. But you're not looking at it or reading it. If you're lucky you get me who won't respond until you're looking at the checklist. The next level is the people who will keep calling for it until you're reading it. It escalates drastically from there the response you'll get from Captains. Your Captain or PF has called for a checklist. Do them the courtesy of being a professional and reading the checklist. You're not impressing me with your knowledge of the airplane by doing this. You're pissing me off. Don't piss off your co-workers.

6. Have fun and take a lot of breaks

You're going to have a blast. It's going to be a lot of fun, but it's also going to be challenging. But more studying does not always equal better performance. Your mind is a muscle and it needs breaks. Turn on Ellen once a day, your brain can use the dead space for an hour. If you're in the hotel, go ride the bike or float in the pool. Do something other than think about Encore or the Q400 for at least a couple hours a day. A lot of students I see in additional training are not there because they need the training, it's because they got burned out and couldn't perform any more when it came time to work in the GFS or sim.

7. Don't listen to your friends at Jazz/Porter (and that goes for guys going to Jazz or Porter, don't listen to buddies at Encore) until after training is done

It's the same type yes, but we all have different options, procedures, and philosophies. When I hear "but my buddy at Jazz said..." I cringe. I now have to unteach something you've tried to self teach from someone who does not have all the information I need you to gather from. Consider them dead to you until you're done. Once you're fully trained, then have at it. You're not flying a HUD at Encore, so don't waste your time learning or hearing about how amazingly cool it is and how we all wish Encore had gone for the option. That's time you could have learned about SCDAs, Stabilized Approaches, Windshear calls, contaminated runway operations, single engine taxi ops - you know, stuff you're going to actually use.

Wait...did I mention for you to ask questions? :)

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Lots of really good tips.

Best advice I got was “God gave you two ears but only one mouth for a reason”

New hires on initial training don’t get to have opinions on how anything gets done

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the company way. The last one is the only one that matters

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

...DDD...that post was extremely useful; cut n dry words of wisdom with blunt humour mixed in...I love it! :) Based in your post, I’m thinking Encore will be lots of fun :D

BPF...two ears, one mouth, check :p

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

For those at Encore who like to pack their own food...is there a preference for which cooler bag to use? I hear the Six Pack bags are a wise choice. Any restrictions on bag dimensions / size? Any tips for easy food to bring on the road?

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

They will actually give you an insulated lunch bag as part of your kit during initial groundschool. I just throw a big ice pack in there that I got from Canadian tire, and my food stays cool all day.

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

Super! Thanks TBay! :)

Return to “WestJet Encore”