Updating application?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Updating application?

Post by RockSalty »

Hey folks

I applied to the early connection program way back when I was super unqualified. Now that my times and resume are both looking a little more attractive I'd really like to update my application, but I've found that I was never contacted 'on a quarterly basis' to do so.

Is there any way for me to update my details or am I SOL and I just need to wait for 1000tt to apply to the normal FO listing?

Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Updating application?

Post by C-GGGQ »

Yeah I never got the quarterly contacts either. Not sure if anyone is actually paying attention to the early connections contacts.

ahkhamza
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ahkhamza »

Once you have a 1000 then you apply again. There is no way to update it and it won't even matter. There are people who applied after getting a 1000 and Porter hasn't even contacted them. There are pilots who got hired by Porter in May and did not get a ground school date yet so don't even bother with early connection program.
This is quite disappointing that when there is a shortage of pilots they role out the early connection program and actually stay in touch with the pilots on a quarterly basis. However since they are currently overstaffed, they don't care.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

ahkhamza wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:10 pm However since they are currently overstaffed, they don't care.
Not to defend Porter but ... In this case there some mitigating factors, the Assistant Chief Pilot - Pilot Recruitment and Retention left Porter in the spring to pursue other career advancement opportunities; and they have yet to staff that position (they recently advertised it). Couple that with the parking of the 737 Max; Onex with West Jet, and Air Transat with Air Canada; and you can see why there hasn't been anyone hired at Porter since May 2019. Currently there are about 320 pilots at Porter, among the 4 bases. Are they fully staffed? Some would say Yes, as the opportunity for OT has trickled down to virtually non-existent. There were days, 2 summers ago, where is was a buffet (at triple time) of OT for those who wanted it. They may have hired over the last 18 months to avoid making the same mistakes (cancelling flight due to lack of crew).

The hiring that will be done in the spring is to account for attrition over the last little while, and to gear up for the summer; as they will lose some pilots in the spring once the 'majors' ramp up hiring as well. Porter will also have to hire more pilots for when the duty regulations come into affect in December 2020. From what I've heard, they want solid numbers by Oct 2020.

The Early Connection is still a tool for you to connect with Porter, below 1000 hours. Destination Porter through the colleges is also another way to connect. Usually students are paired up with Porter Pilot 'mentors' to aid in their career path; hopefully having the student choose Porter as their preferred option.

The best way forward, in my opinion, is to contact Porter with an updated resume, and hopefully it gets to Flight Ops Management; until they find a new Supervisor for Pilot Recruitment. I'd assume that the Chief Pilot and/or The Director of Flight Ops may be involved in hiring till then. In another post user "John G" said that they are interviewing in Dec/Jan for a spring class. Maybe contacting them directly is another option?

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu

Return to “Porter Airlines”