New North Star Basler Accident (Number 3)

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New North Star Basler Accident

Post by montado »

dogfood wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:02 am I’m not saying it’s safe but Tc has approved these operators for Vfr at 300 feet and 1 mile. You could get down to minimums get ground contact but not the runway and continue vfr.
Are you sure the 705 side of the operations has this special authorization? Or is the basler run as 703. Last I checked 705 can't to this special authorization, you also can't fly night vfr.
---------- ADS -----------

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

Good point I think they run them 704 but I’m not to sure if the op spec applies to 704

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-FKAL, a Douglas DC-3C-BT67 operated by North Star Air Ltd, was conducting a cargo flight
from Red Lake (CYRL), ON to Sachigo Lake (CZPB), ON, with 2 flight crew members on board.
While on approach to CZPB, the aircraft collided with terrain approximately 500 metres southwest
of the threshold of Runway 10. The 2 flight crew members received no injuries. The aircraft
sustained substantial damage. The TSB is investigating.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

The LPV is going to put you high by it’s design because the glide path is aimed for 1000’ down the runway. Any variations or deviation on the approach will make it worse. I’m guessing the approach was less than stellar, then broke it off to circle/maneuver (whatever you feel like calling it) to the runway with what they thought was sufficient references and ended up in the bush perhaps overshooting runway 28 vs short of Rwy 10.

Perhaps lots of poor decision making but was it illegal? There’s been no certificate action yet.....

After AC in YHZ and then SFOx2 I done guessing how perfectly good airplanes get bent up like this...

losercruiser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by losercruiser »

dogfood wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:02 am I’m not saying it’s safe but Tc has approved these operators for Vfr at 300 feet and 1 mile. You could get down to minimums get ground contact but not the runway and continue vfr.
That's not really how it works, or the intent of the ops spec.

You brief an IFR approach? Fly it.

DKTR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DKTR »

i am no TSB investigator nor a TC inspector but the answer to all their questions is:

COMPANY CULTURE

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

No certificate action because there's nothing to prove what the crews did...in any of their three crashes. Can't pull an AOC based on rumours and hearsay.

If you're good at doctoring the books, you can crash airplanes all day long. TC will be really confused cause the paperwork looks good. That's the difference between the paperwork world and the real world. It's also the reason SMS will never work for sketchy operators.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Have any pictures of this accident been released?

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

There's one photo over on Avherald.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Oh god, for a second, I thought there was a 4th ! Ha ha, not really funny, but sortof.

Does anybody know if this last crash is being recovered or if it will be rebuilt?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Haha, we should start numbering the thread titles. However, still at 3 crashes...and still disappointed in the regulator's inaction. Good thing they're just boxes and cargo pilot's lives don't matter :roll:

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New North Star Basler Accident (Number 3)

Post by MrAviator19 »

Knowing how North Star operates, the crew of the downed Basler were probably told to run back to Red Lake from Sachigo, switch into the last remaining Basler and fly cargo for the rest of the day.

MrA

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

DKTR wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:06 am i am no TSB investigator nor a TC inspector but the answer to all their questions is:

COMPANY CULTURE
Ding Ding, we have a winner!
goingnowherefast wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:58 am However, still at 3 crashes...and still disappointed in the regulator's inaction.
Exactly, it's just boxes. If they want to kill themselves cause they're shitty decision makers, hero's, or as described on the history channel "this captain walks the thin line between cockiness and confidence ", then let them. But you can gaurentee if they kill a pax in a pc12 or other, I imagine the OC will be history.

I guess I should write something here.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

DKTR wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:06 am i am no TSB investigator nor a TC inspector but the answer to all their questions is:

COMPANY CULTURE
Best first post ever.
Used to deal with the “get er done” mindset for years. Toss all the technical horse 💩 around all you want...bottom line? Yup, you hit it.
Cheers
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:23 pm

COMPANY CULTURE
Best first post ever.
Used to deal with the “get er done” mindset for years. Toss all the technical horse 💩 around all you want...bottom line? Yup, you hit it.
Cheers
Illya
They were the only bond I ever signed, and the only job I ever left before my commitment was up. Leaving was worth every penny.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

It's hard to tell from the image, is the wing snapped off? I've heard DC-3's don't have wing spars.

Attachments
north_start_dc3t_c-fkal_sachigo_lake_191203_1.jpg
north_start_dc3t_c-fkal_sachigo_lake_191203_1.jpg (91.26 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Last edited by Dry Guy on Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwigPig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwigPig »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:24 am
Illya Kuryakin wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:23 pm

COMPANY CULTURE
Best first post ever.
Cheers
Illya
They were the only bond I ever signed, and the only job I ever left before my commitment was up. Leaving was worth every penny.
But when we flew there, the chief pilot had good hair though. I always remember “The Pilatus doesn’t care”

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

AFAIK it is a 3 spar wingImage but I believe the attachment is the flange on the chord perimeter. Borek guys feel free to jump in

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

We've all seen the one picture that is posted, but does anyone have any more pictures or information on salvage efforts? (assuming it is to be rebuilt)

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Rumour I heard is that one was a write-off and wasn't going to be rebuilt. That could be wrong or may have changed.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”