YVR in person assessment (Jan 2020)

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Delta22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: YVR in person assessment (Jan 2020)

Post by Delta22 »

nvcatc wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm
Delta22 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 pm
It's all good. Really weird though, and I'd kind of like an explanation from Nav Canada as to why they've done that. Interesting as well, it still says on the website that testing is in Feb. 2020 and classes are in Fall 2020. Do we know how they select who gets in in terms of application date? do they prefer those who applied first, or those who applied closer to the testing dates?

EDIT: Should also be noted: going through this forum, Every other FIR except Gander had testing in Feb, and Gander is significantly less common than the rest of them in general.
Apologies in advance if this sounds harsh, but Nav Canada doesn't owe anyone an explanation. People should be grateful that the company even lets you know at all whether your application can proceed or not. Most jobs don't respond to applicants who aren't moving forward with interviews, and it's only now that Nav Canada has started using FEAST that they're doing this for current applicants. When I went through, the first year I applied, I heard nothing for 12 months so just had to apply again when the timer reset. On my second application, I made it through... but every step of the way was a waiting game of uncertainty. I'm not trying to say that because I went through that, new applicants should too, but at least have some patience and understanding for the acquisition team. Shit happens. People get busy, other problems come up, there's a constant cycle of THOUSANDS of applications to go through for the entire country, and then there's the logistics of organizing all the testing and boot camps. So just put your application on the back burner (same to all the people in the YYZ thread complaining about Joanne's timeline), live your life, and when they're ready to release the results and call people back, they'll do it. Waiting sucks, I get it. But the company doesn't owe anyone anything, and they can delay testing, boot camps, and classes if that makes sense for them operationally.
Apology accepted. Sorry I sounded kinda stuck-up and pretentious, but I completely agree with you, I just wasn't thinking straight. It's just frustrating to be told to keep waiting and keep waiting, and only ever hearing rumours about when something might or might not happen, but that's honestly become a normal for me, so we'll just take it in stride.
---------- ADS -----------

nvcatc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: YVR in person assessment (Jan 2020)

Post by nvcatc »

Delta22 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:41 pm
Apology accepted. Sorry I sounded kinda stuck-up and pretentious, but I completely agree with you, I just wasn't thinking straight. It's just frustrating to be told to keep waiting and keep waiting, and only ever hearing rumours about when something might or might not happen, but that's honestly become a normal for me, so we'll just take it in stride.
No worries. I understand the frustration and the wanting to know too, it's completely fair. I just wanted to remind people to take a step back and be patient with the process. We were told when we started training that it costs something like $1 million to train one controller from beginning to end... whether that number is accurate or not, it's still a huge investment for the company taking each new person on, and so of course they want to pick the people that they think are most likely to qualify (especially considering how low qualification rates are). FEAST is also relatively new for the company, and while I'm not a part of the hiring team, I'm sure they're still working through whatever correlations they can find between testing results and the people who've qualified.

stabilizedapproach wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:00 am
Well it sounds like you made it through to a course so congratulations on that. Did you check out in the end? Can you give us any hints on what training is like? Do/did you find the training as stressful as people say or is it just something thrown out there to scare off those who don't want to put in the work? I hear almost every single day is like an evaluation and you're being observed under the microscope the moment you walk in the door. How is OJT and working real airplanes? Is it tough having someone watch you while you work and always having your mistakes pointed out to you?
I did check out. Training is tough, they didn't lie, and it definitely had its stressful moments. There's a lot of information to memorize, and you have to figure out how to apply it and adapt to different conditions both in the sim and on the floor. Like you said, you are always being evaluated in some manner, whether you realize it or not... it's basically a 1-3 year long job interview. You're always being judged on every decision you make and told what you're doing wrong, so you need to be able to not take it personally and accept that everything you're being told is just to make you better at your job. Statistically, you're going to lose classmates along the way who you've likely become good friends with, and that's really hard too. So to sum up, training sucks. But the job is so worth it once you're on the other side.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”