Porter Interview Questions

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

udjh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Porter Interview Questions

Post by udjh »

Hi I was wondering if anyone has additional information on the Porter interview in 2019/2020.

I’m aware that it’s mostly HR questions however would greatly appreciate if anyone would let me know about any technical stuff.

Most threads I’ve read are a bit dated so looking to get the most current info.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Porter Interview Questions

Post by imac0960 »

From what I know about the interview not much has changed. They ask a few personal questions about how you got into aviation, why you think Porter should hire you, and what makes you a better choice than other candidates. If you have some work experience they will ask you the typical “tell me about a time...” questions or “what would you do if...”. It’s fairly easy going and they try to take as much stress out of it as they can. They are very open during the hiring process too so you can ask them any questions you may have.

Good luck! I really enjoyed my time at Porter. The people you work with are what many past employees miss the most.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

From what I remember, the technical questions come from how Porter operates.

Think along the lines of the CAP Gen.
- Approach bans
- RVOP / LVOP
- SCDA Approaches
- LNAV/VNAV, LPV Approaches
- RNP-AR Approaches
- CAT II Approaches
- Holding Speeds

Also know a few things like:
- GDP / APREQ / TMI
- CFRI / Contaminated Runways / TALPA
- Deicing/Antiicing / HOT Tables

Hope that helps,

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

You are a sadist, not to say that it is not going to help getting answers to questions here.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

ayseven I'm a little confused ... :?

I'm not going to spoon feed them the answer, and the candidate shouldn't expect it either.
Put yourself in the interviewing boards members' shoes. How would one differentiate between the candidates, if everyone provides the same "canned answers".

The answer is rhetorical of course, the main aspect of the interview is behavioral/personality oriented as mentioned.
The technical questions is to see what experience level they're at. If you've operated at a 703/704, some of those terms aren't new. If you've come only from instructing, then you have some homework/research to do. The ideal candidate would be prepared, and willing to go beyond the minimums set out to get the job.

Does that make me a sadist? Hardly ... You're applying for a 705 job! In my eyes, it's the the 'major league' if using a sports metaphor. You're expected to have the basic down, with some knowledge of how the game is played.

If I was on the interview board, I'd look for a candidate that I can get along with personality wise (you may have to fly with this person on a 4 day pairing); someone who is willing/able to be taught/mentored (they are future Captains in my eyes); and is able to operate an aircraft safely in a two-crew environment.

As a candidate, if you'e able to learn quickly, are actively involved, and have a sense of the operation; you become an asset to the company.
The dynamic in the flight deck becomes more of "two people operating the aircraft safely, taking people from point A to B". How you convey that to the interview board is the challenge.

All the best to those who apply!

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I agree with you, but that was a bit mean!! The real answer us "it depends".

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ayseven wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:07 pm I agree with you, but that was a bit mean!! The real answer us "it depends".
What on earth are you talking about? He is giving you exactly what you need. You should be grateful!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Riight...

Techno
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Techno »

fwiw I recently went through the Porter interview and it was all HR questions, no technical questions at all.

Return to “Porter Airlines”