Convert Canadian ATPL to FAA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Convert Canadian ATPL to FAA

Post by Ash Ketchum »

newlyexpat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:52 am
Aspiredtofly wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:25 pm How many of you guys managed to get a job at an airline over there considering that you're still canadian and not an American citizen yet
I was hired and sponsored by an America business jet operator.
The licence conversion took a few weeks, and the O-1 work visa takes 15 days for approval if your sponsor pays for the express option.
Congrats, that's good to hear. Do you know if US business jet operators would hire and sponsor experienced Canadian airline pilots with no business jet experience? I have converted my license and have been trying to get sponsored by a US airline for the past year without luck and do not yet meet all the requirements for the EB-2 NIW.
---------- ADS -----------

newlyexpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newlyexpat »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:03 am Absolutely the first I've heard of this...

Your regular line pilot isn't going to qualify - but this is an alternate doorway.

Did you or did your emoloyer organize the lawyer and paoerwork for this visa?
As I was sponsored by my employer, they provided, paid for and retain their own immigration law firm. The company is in the process of sponsoring 10 pilots from all over the world, therefore they are very experienced in regards to hiring foreign pilots.

newlyexpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newlyexpat »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:06 am
Aspiredtofly wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:25 pm How many of you guys managed to get a job at an airline over there considering that you're still canadian and not an American citizen yet
The licence conversion took a few weeks, and the O-1 work visa takes 15 days for approval if your sponsor pays for the express option.
Congrats, that's good to hear. Do you know if US business jet operators would hire and sponsor experienced Canadian airline pilots with no business jet experience? I have converted my license and have been trying to get sponsored by a US airline for the past year without luck and do not yet meet all the requirements for the EB-2 NIW.
The key to successfully being hired by an American biz jet operator is to hold a type rating and flying experience on the aircraft they are hiring for - as this makes you a favourable candidate.

Keep in mind that SIC/FO type ratings are NOT transferable from a Canadian to USA licence during the conversion process.

The work around is to attend a FAA upgrade/recurrent type rating course for the particular aircraft type. Even if you are current on an aircraft type (PIC/SIC), part 135/121 operators will require you to attend a recurrent course as part of their initial pilot training program (regardless if you recently completed a TC recurrent/initial course in the very recent past). If you fly for a part 91 operator, these above mentioned rules may not apply to you.

I would highly recommend researching jobs on types which you hold a rating. Contact the CP and/or HR and present a case detailing hiring/sponsoring you would be cost efficient and beneficial, over hiring a non-type rated/non-experienced pilot off the street.

Most Biz jet companies are not experienced hiring foreign pilots, you may need to walk them through the process.

Hope thats helpful.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

If you don't meet the NIW, you'll not meet the O1. The O1 is a step up on the NIW it looks like for requirements.

That said, it doesn't hurt to try.

Hence BE02s response and my incredulity.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:35 am

If you don't meet the NIW, you'll not meet the O1. The O1 is a step up on the NIW it looks like for requirements.

That said, it doesn't hurt to try.

Hence BE02s response and my incredulity.
Thanks, yes it does look fairly tough to meet those requirements.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

newlyexpat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:25 am

The key to successfully being hired by an American biz jet operator is to hold a type rating and flying experience on the aircraft they are hiring for - as this makes you a favourable candidate.

Keep in mind that SIC/FO type ratings are NOT transferable from a Canadian to USA licence during the conversion process.

The work around is to attend a FAA upgrade/recurrent type rating course for the particular aircraft type. Even if you are current on an aircraft type (PIC/SIC), part 135/121 operators will require you to attend a recurrent course as part of their initial pilot training program (regardless if you recently completed a TC recurrent/initial course in the very recent past). If you fly for a part 91 operator, these above mentioned rules may not apply to you.

I would highly recommend researching jobs on types which you hold a rating. Contact the CP and/or HR and present a case detailing hiring/sponsoring you would be cost efficient and beneficial, over hiring a non-type rated/non-experienced pilot off the street.

Most Biz jet companies are not experienced hiring foreign pilots, you may need to walk them through the process.

Hope thats helpful.
Great, thanks for the response. I figured a previous type rating and time on type would be a prerequisite. I am currently an FO for a major Canadian airline and have no business jet type ratings or experience. I guess I will just wait to meet the EB-2 NIW hours/experience requirements and try to go that route in a few years.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

newlyexpat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:53 am
BE02 Driver wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:03 am

O-1? That's the first I've heard of that one being used. Congratulations on your visa.

What did they reference as your extraordinary ability so that others might follow?
I was able to meet 4 of the 8 extraordinary criteria (3 are required for O-1 Visa eligibility).
Google search O-1 eligibility for a detailed list if interested. I met the following criteria:

1. Have you ever participated as a judge of the work of others.. - You meet this if you have ever managed or trained pilots/staff, conducted performance reviews, review/supervision of day to day work, involved in hiring/promotion of staff, conducted/reviewed FOQA audits, Quality Assurance Audits, Safety Management Investigations, hold an ACP/flight test examiner, etc.

2. Have you produced any original scientific, scholarly, or business related contributions of major significance in your field of expertise - You can meet this if you have ever worked in the business side of aviation, worked on any major projects for your company, worked on aircraft acquisition projects, reviewed or set profit/loss goals, financial goals, authored manuals, procedures/sop's, work instructions, or other business/operations projects, etc.

3. Have you ever worked in a “critical or essential” capacity for an organization - You can meet this requirement if you have held a training captain, supervisory, leadership or management role within an organization.

4. Have you, or will you, receive a high salary - You can meet this criteria if you are at the top salary range, essentially a senior captain or manager should be able to meet this criteria. Also starting captain salaries in the USA on a heavy biz jet tend to be in the 250k USD range annually which additionally qualifies you in this category.

The advantage of the O-1 visa is that if you qualify, there are unlimited number of these Visa's issued (therefore very fast processing times). Most other visa's are generally lottery based with long vetting/wait times (6 to 12 months). There are a set amount of these lottery based VISA's issued annually. This makes it more competitive, and generally you require significant skills and flying experience for approval. This being said, being sponsored by an employer in most cases guarantees approval and gives you a much higher approval advantage in regards to lottery based visas (or any Visa). Having access to a good immigration lawyer is also highly recommended.

One other issue one may experience in regards to this process is Visa interview wait times (once formally approved) are very long in Canada. Current wait times for interviews in Canada range from 70 to 120 days dependant on embassy/consulate location. Wait times in Europe and South America for interviews can be as quick as 1 to 7 days (I travelled to South America as I need my visa ASAP). This is the last step in visa issuance.

This information is based on my experience and information from my immigration lawyer. Your experience may differ.

Best of Luck!
Great Stuff! Thanks for the info. I'm already stateside working for a Major, but that information is just one more options for those that qualify. There are literally dozens of ways to make this happen.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:53 am

Hope thats helpful.
Great, thanks for the response. I figured a previous type rating and time on type would be a prerequisite. I am currently an FO for a major Canadian airline and have no business jet type ratings or experience. I guess I will just wait to meet the EB-2 NIW hours/experience requirements and try to go that route in a few years.
If you are married, Check to see if your wife has a job that is easier to sponsor. If you aren't married, marry a RN. Quite possibly the easiest realtively common career to get a Green Card for, only half joking.....

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

BE02 Driver wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:29 pm

Hope thats helpful.
If you are married, Check to see if your wife has a job that is easier to sponsor. If you aren't married, marry a RN. Quite possibly the easiest realtively common career to get a Green Card for, only half joking.....
Unfortunately my wife is in sales so I don't believe that qualifies. I was a software engineer in a previous career, I am considering getting sponsored for that and then once I get my green card I can go back to flying in the US.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:35 pm
BE02 Driver wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:29 pm

Unfortunately my wife is in sales so I don't believe that qualifies. I was a software engineer in a previous career, I am considering getting sponsored for that and then once I get my green card I can go back to flying in the US.
Not a horrible idea. Once GC is in hand you have to hang around for 6 months, then you are basically in the clear for job change. It can be done earlier, but you may have to find some justification.

newlyexpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newlyexpat »

Not a bad idea, but keep in mind some spousal visa's do not allow the spouse to be employed in the United States.

For example, the O-3 visa which is a spousal visa for an O-1 applicant does not allow the spouse to work in the USA. It only allows the spouse to live in the USA full time.

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

When you finally get all your paperwork in order you should consider the Fractional's.
I work for one and we are set to hire 400 pilots this year after hiring 390 last year.
You start at over 100k as a FO and up grades are around a year where you then get up to over 160k

We still require 1500 hours but I have flown with one guy who was given a conditional hire with 1350 and was told he will be given a class date when he had 1500. They even did his ATP during his type rating on the CL350

Lots of hiring going on just get your ducks in a row and come on down.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

160k is relatively low for a flying job in America. Definitely better places to hang your hat

newlyexpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newlyexpat »

JHR wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:32 am 160k is relatively low for a flying job in America. Definitely better places to hang your hat
I'll stick with the heavy biz jets making 250K+
Fraction flying schedules are a nightmare, flying multiple legs daily with not so great short layovers is not my idea of a good time. Pay me well and let me sit on a beach for 5 days is fine for me.

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

newlyexpat wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:10 am
JHR wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:32 am 160k is relatively low for a flying job in America. Definitely better places to hang your hat
Fraction flying schedules are a nightmare, flying multiple legs daily with not so great short layovers is not my idea of a good time. Pay me well and let me sit on a beach for 5 days is fine for me.
For a 28 year old kid making 160K after 2 years work is a good deal compared to what it use to be like.

As for Frax schedule, we are now on teams and make our own schedule. Since pay is day rates you get paid what you work. If you want to work 10 days a month (which I do in the winter) you get paid for 10. If you want to work 16 or 18 you get paid for that, for that reason pay fluctuates.
For a 15 day month schedule you are making 310k+ if you are a money whore you can pull in over 350k+ in a super mid.

Management put out an e mail last month showing the top earners in each aircraft from W2 form (American version of T4)
Most likely to encourage everyone to work more.

Note these were the top pay, realistic pay for average pilot for the positions were about 50k-60k less

SIC any aircraft $178,460
PIC Phenom. $313,374
PIC Praetor/Challenger $390,851
PIC Gulfstream / Global. $427,744

If you want to work you can make some good money in the USA.
If you want to work less you can still have a comfortable life.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

newlyexpat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:38 pm

Not a bad idea, but keep in mind some spousal visa's do not allow the spouse to be employed in the United States.

For example, the O-3 visa which is a spousal visa for an O-1 applicant does not allow the spouse to work in the USA. It only allows the spouse to live in the USA full time.
Correct a TN visa (what most nafta professions etc use) does not allow the spouse to work. You have to file for a change of status through an employer to Eb3 which is possible (at least for RN’s)

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

hawker driver wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:15 am
newlyexpat wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:10 am
For a 28 year old kid making 160K after 2 years work is a good deal compared to what it use to be like.

As for Frax schedule, we are now on teams and make our own schedule. Since pay is day rates you get paid what you work. If you want to work 10 days a month (which I do in the winter) you get paid for 10. If you want to work 16 or 18 you get paid for that, for that reason pay fluctuates.
For a 15 day month schedule you are making 310k+ if you are a money whore you can pull in over 350k+ in a super mid.

Management put out an e mail last month showing the top earners in each aircraft from W2 form (American version of T4)
Most likely to encourage everyone to work more.

Note these were the top pay, realistic pay for average pilot for the positions were about 50k-60k less

PIC Phenom. $313,374

Ok I eat my words...wow that puts Canuckistan to shame

newlyexpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newlyexpat »

PIC Phenom. $313,374

Thats what I'm talking about!

If you're a sr captain at Fedex/UPS accepting over time/working the Anchorage sched its not unrealistic to hit near 1 million USD/year.

By the way, good for you dude! 160K USD for FO is not bad for early 20's
When I was in my 20's I was making about 19K CDN working the ramp in Northern Manitoba, eating mac and cheese and an occasional beer at the TI! How the times have changed!

Well worth to try for a USA Visa/work permit. I worked my ass off for conversion/sponsorship. certainly not impossible ... especially with relevant jet time and experience..

Last edited by newlyexpat on Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slicktop
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by slicktop »

If only as someone in my late 20's without the 10 years of "relative experience" and thousands of hours to apply for and get an EB-2 had an easier avenue to the USA. I'd be gone tomorrow.

Unfortunatley leaving my wife is not an option.... :lol:

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

newlyexpat wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:17 pm

PIC Phenom. $313,374

Thats what I'm talking about!

If you're a captain at Fedex/UPS accepting all over time/working the sched its not unrealistic to hit near 1 million/year.

By the way, good for you dude! 160K USD is not bad for early 20's
When I was in my 20's I was making about 19K working the ramp in Northern Manitoba, eating mac and cheese and an occasional beer at the TI! How the times have changed!

I am not one of the newbie’s, been here over 24+ years and am closer to the upper end :D of the pay scale.
I am now counting down to early retirement.
I remember what it was like before flying a Navajo full of bank cheques or auto parts in the late 80’s and earning $9600 first year. :(

As for the FedEx I did hear of one Captain there that made over a million in one year and has a copy of his end of year pay stub to show people who don’t believe him. :shock:

Return to “General Comments”