DEC

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: DEC

Post by hsilgnepilot »

I think we can move this post back up to the top based on Jazz latest Instagram post, does anyone have any further insight into this?
---------- ADS -----------

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:47 am I think we can move this post back up to the top based on Jazz latest Instagram post, does anyone have any further insight into this?
It seems the job posting for pilot has been updated too. Likely that very few FO's are actually upgradeable due to no ATPL.
https://aviationcareers.ca/careersectio ... %2FToronto

Hiring Minimums for Direct Entry Captain is an ATPL with a preference for 705 level Pilot In Command experience as an asset.

2019 is back folks...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

:smt041

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

While the company can advertise YYZ CA Positions they are still bound by the contact and rules of seniority etc. It also sounds like the Company will have to run an early equipment bid to sort this mess out. There are no guarantees that there will be YYZ CA positions if people from other bases who are currently as Jazz want to take the positions etc. This is a hiring advertisement, but it does show that Jazz "will" be short of qualified ATPL FO's in the very near future. Highly recommend everyone write their ATPLs ASAP and those on property better think long and hard about their Standing Bids.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

KenoraPilot wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:24 am While the company can advertise YYZ CA Positions they are still bound by the contact and rules of seniority etc. It also sounds like the Company will have to run an early equipment bid to sort this mess out. There are no guarantees that there will be YYZ CA positions if people from other bases who are currently as Jazz want to take the positions etc. This is a hiring advertisement, but it does show that Jazz "will" be short of qualified ATPL FO's in the very near future. Highly recommend everyone write their ATPLs ASAP and those on property better think long and hard about their Standing Bids.
This is quite correct.

Like it or not, DEC will be happening at some point. Summer? Fall? Winter? irrelevant.

As KenoraPilot pointed out, for a DEC to be awarded there needs to be an unfilled CA vacancy at the time of the seniority draw. And before that happens, a bid will need to be conducted, resulting in CA vacancies that will remain unfilled through the various backfills until the NH hire class.

It will happen at some point and by the look of things, sooner than later. So knowing that, it is not surprising that the word is out so that all potential DEC candidate can be attracted.

aya123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aya123 »

You guys think they'll have DEC openings for YVR soon?

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

aya123 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:42 am You guys think they'll have DEC openings for YVR soon?
I understand the ad says YYZ, but the reality is that they can't know for sure what base and what equipment until bids/backfills are performed. Take the base with a grain of salt.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Sadly, I think the reality of hiring so many college applicants and signing a 60% “flow” agreement with AC is about to show all the cracks and issues with this strategy VERY soon.

I could be wrong, but it feels like a large number (not all) of junior captains will be flowing to AC in the near future if AC’s hiring projections are correct. The majority (not all) of FO’s who can hold or will be able to hold an upgrade will be flowing to AC as well and as a result the company will be left with a significant number of college hires who will all be scrambling over each other to get PICUS in order to (mostly) flow to AC.

I can see a significant staffing issue coming, and it’s not that far away. The way things have progressed in the last 6 months alone has caught everyone off guard, imagine what kind of pure craziness will exist in the next 6 months?!

Hang on everyone, sh!ts about to get crazy!

T.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Damn...and here am I with a fresh PFO in my hands, wondering how I stuffed up the interview so badly... :?

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

mmm..bacon wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:53 am Damn...and here am I with a fresh PFO in my hands, wondering how I stuffed up the interview so badly... :?
Sorry to hear, what kind of questions did they ask and where do you think you went wrong.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

They had two years.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:26 am That is correct. It is pretty easy to see who is staying and who is going to AC. The shortage has hit. Everyone upgrading who isn't half retarded will end up at AC during line indoc or soon after. Things are getting crazy. Imagine if the max was operating and people weren't so fucking scared of this corona bullshit. The only one I know comes with a lime and a big breasted Mexican sitting on my lap.Imagine what it would be like. Planes Will be parked this summer due to crew shortage.
Best post of the thread. Dated Mar 4, 2020.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Bede wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:57 pm
CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:26 am That is correct. It is pretty easy to see who is staying and who is going to AC. The shortage has hit. Everyone upgrading who isn't half retarded will end up at AC during line indoc or soon after. Things are getting crazy. Imagine if the max was operating and people weren't so fucking scared of this corona bullshit. The only one I know comes with a lime and a big breasted Mexican sitting on my lap.Imagine what it would be like. Planes Will be parked this summer due to crew shortage.
Yeah, sure, if you think that a comment mixed with derogatory terms and objectifying women is acceptable.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goingmissed wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:18 pm
Yeah, sure, if you think that a comment mixed with derogatory terms and objectifying women is acceptable.
You're the one assuming the post is referring to a woman :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

There was actually a massive crew surplus.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Anyone has a ballpark number on how many FOs are upgradable at the moment?

Are we talking 100? 500?

Inthrustwetrust
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

I disagree with above statement. AC isn't be all end all. Not everyone will want to switch

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Sorry, I think you missed my sarcasm.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Inthrustwetrust wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:55 pm I disagree with above statement. AC isn't be all end all. Not everyone will want to switch
I agree with you, and I’ve said many times that jazz is a fantastic place to work. I truly believe that!

I’m simply writing from my experience based on conversations I’ve had with many junior captains and FO’s. the majority (not all) have expressed they’ll be moving over to AC at the first opportunity they get.

Also, I’m not saying college hires are a bad thing, there’s a significant number of low time non college hires as well on the seniority list who can’t upgrade.

Bottom line is, as long as the aviation industry continues to lower their hiring minimums to allow them to suggest there’s no pilot shortage, I believe they’re only delaying or possibly compounding the issue over the short term.

I guess time will tell.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Bede wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:20 am

Sorry, I think you missed my sarcasm.
The internet is like beer goggles that makes it difficult for me to read social interaction cues.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”