Drug test question

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dekosap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Drug test question

Post by dekosap »

I recently wrote my assessment for the YYZ region last week.

I know that there is zero tolerance for marijuana for this job, but I used to be a chronic smoker and I quit in Jan when I got an invite to write the test.
I have no issues with quiting going forward for the job but I was just wondering if the test is a urine/blood or hair test? Because the guy said we would get offers before May which means being about 5 months clean, will that be enough? Am I allowed to wait to take the drug test until the last moment to give myself the best chance of passing or is the appointment set by NAVCAN and cannot be changed?
---------- ADS -----------

shortbreads
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Drug test question

Post by shortbreads »

The drug test I took was a urine test and had to be completed within about 10 days of receiving an offer. Hope that helps, best of luck.

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M92 »

I can’t speak in absolutes but regardless 5 months will be plenty of time for a majority of people regardless of the method.

I’m sick with congestion so bored and scrolling through threads, mind me asking if this was the first in-person assessment (FEAST)? I love seeing the May timeline for an offer!

dekosap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dekosap »

shortbreads wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:52 am The drug test I took was a urine test and had to be completed within about 10 days of receiving an offer. Hope that helps, best of luck.
Thank you for the info
M92 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:58 am I can’t speak in absolutes but regardless 5 months will be plenty of time for a majority of people regardless of the method.

I’m sick with congestion so bored and scrolling through threads, mind me asking if this was the first in-person assessment (FEAST)? I love seeing the May timeline for an offer!
I am hoping so lol it would suck so much to get an offer and get rejected because of this :/

Yes it was the first FEAST test, I am not 100% sure on the May timelinr just going off what the test/training supervisor at the acc said to our class.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

IIRC, THC metabolites do show up in your hair, but only as it is ingested; therefore, if you've been weed free, then the part closest to your scalp will reflect that.

Time to cut your hair and get a real job, hippie! :smt040

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
dekosap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dekosap »

North Shore wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:47 am IIRC, THC metabolites do show up in your hair, but only as it is ingested; therefore, if you've been weed free, then the part closest to your scalp will reflect that.

Time to cut your hair and get a real job, hippie! :smt040
Lol I didnt expect to get roasted by a mod. :roll:

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Its not a hair test is it? That would suck lol dont you need like 6 months to a year for your hair to be clear even if you are a one time smoker?

Urine test would make most sense. I am assuming we also get random drug tests once on the job as well.

YYZKammMaliok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZKammMaliok »

Lol, good thing I stayed away from drugs. Can’t imagine having done all this then failing the drug test. :rolleyes:

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

YYZKammMaliok wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:01 am Lol, good thing I stayed away from drugs. Can’t imagine having done all this then failing the drug test. :rolleyes:
That would suck so much... :oops:

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

levinqute wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:32 pm I am assuming we also get random drug tests once on the job as well.
There are no random drug tests.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

kevenv wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:53 am
levinqute wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:32 pm I am assuming we also get random drug tests once on the job as well.
Really? That is kinda surprising.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

levinqute wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:42 am
They can only test under very specific circumstances. However, if you are tested and test positive....I wouldn't want to be in that person's shoes.

dekosap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dekosap »

On a side note can I be rejected on my CAT2 medical for past marijuana use? Should I be lying to them....?

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Braun wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:27 am

They can only test under very specific circumstances. However, if you are tested and test positive....I wouldn't want to be in that person's shoes.
Like an accident or something similar? Not that it will ever be an issue, but I read US Atc get tested quite frequently.
dekosap wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:15 pm On a side note can I be rejected on my CAT2 medical for past marijuana use? Should I be lying to them....?
I wouldnt lie.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

levinqute wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:25 am

Like an accident or something similar? Not that it will ever be an issue, but I read US Atc get tested quite frequently.
dekosap wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:15 pm On a side note can I be rejected on my CAT2 medical for past marijuana use? Should I be lying to them....?
I wouldnt lie.
I don’t remember the exact circumstances but it has to do with if someone reports you or they have valid suspicions to believe you may be under the influence of a substance or alcohol. I haven’t been tested, ever.

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M92 »

Braun wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:32 am

I wouldnt lie.
I don’t remember the exact circumstances but it has to do with if someone reports you or they have valid suspicions to believe you may be under the influence of a substance or alcohol. I haven’t been tested, ever.
Is ATC like policing where people often drop their habits prior or during the application process but resume some of those past times later? Not that I care since I’ve never been fond of using most substances but I sort of wondered how that worked, especially with the change in laws recently?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

M92 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:27 am
Braun wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:32 am

I wouldnt lie.
Is ATC like policing where people often drop their habits prior or during the application process but resume some of those past times later? Not that I care since I’ve never been fond of using most substances but I sort of wondered how that worked, especially with the change in laws recently?
I’d say definitely most people do not consume drugs once they start but there are probably exceptions. Legally, if we smoke pot, we can’t work again until it’s out of the system so it more or less 28 days without work. I’m sure there are some people who don’t respect that but like I said if they get caught....obviously any other harder drugs are just a no and no one would openly talk about using if they did. I don’t think drugs are big problem as everyone gets the importance of the job. There are always
Stupid people though

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M92 »

Braun wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:23 am
M92 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:27 am
Braun wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:32 am I don’t remember the exact circumstances but it has to do with if someone reports you or they have valid suspicions to believe you may be under the influence of a substance or alcohol. I haven’t been tested, ever.
I’d say definitely most people do not consume drugs once they start but there are probably exceptions. Legally, if we smoke pot, we can’t work again until it’s out of the system so it more or less 28 days without work. I’m sure there are some people who don’t respect that but like I said if they get caught....obviously any other harder drugs are just a no and no one would openly talk about using if they did. I don’t think drugs are big problem as everyone gets the importance of the job. There are always
Stupid people though
Thanks for the reply! I was curious and that definitely filled my curiosity.

glide slope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by glide slope »

This entire thread is ridiculous! If you are all so concerned about being pot heads please do us all a favour, go apply elsewhere. Preferably where human lives are not a stake. Pot heads are usually bad at coping with pressure, thus the pot use. I’m all for more stringent drug testing.

YYZKammMaliok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZKammMaliok »

glide slope wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:54 pm This entire thread is ridiculous! If you are all so concerned about being pot heads please do us all a favour, go apply elsewhere. Preferably where human lives are not a stake. Pot heads are usually bad at coping with pressure, thus the pot use. I’m all for more stringent drug testing.
Agreed. Especially in this field where focus and attentiveness are top priority. I'm all for more drug testing to keep our airspace safe at any cost.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”