Porter Airlines shifts restart of flights date to June 29

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Porter Airlines shifts restart of flights date to June 29

Post by Dry Guy »

I suspect there's some psychological factors at play with Michael looking to make his father proud of him and to improve his dad's legacy. As others have mentioned above, if they don't do something drastic Porter is going to be just another failure on Robert's Wikipedia page.
---------- ADS -----------

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

eeeroger wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:07 am
**** wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:59 am
eeeroger wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:41 am There will be a lot of COPE in these threads by pilots who left Porter 17/18’. The salt has already been apparent throughout this pandemic. I think this is excellent news, great for Canadian aviation as a whole!
Where would they have gone that they would now regret not sticking around 5 years to fly Embraers?
I don’t necessarily mean it like that. Just saying the tone on this forum this year has been one where everyone was hoping any airline’s success would evidently end in failure. But to answer your retort; I suppose anyone now stuck at the BOTL at AC, WS, AT, or Sunwing. Lifestyle and seniority matters to some people.
take care!
Hypothetically if I left porter for AC in 17/18 I would be 70-80% system seniority, a narrow body captain drawing 14500 min a month even during the pandemic, able to hold a variety of senior positions with a pension and basically unlimited growth potential and the ability to fly shinier jets than an Emb over my career. At the very least I also kept working during the pandemic while all my former porter colleagues were riding the dole.
Should I still be crying in my soup over losing the opportunity to maybe fly a large regional jet at some nebulous point in the future? Because I seem to remember the same promotional materials surrounding the 220 announcements that went nowhere.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Classic case of SJS....

I have heard yet what the EMJ is going to pay.

I wouldn:t be surprised to hear it's the same as the Dash8 rate.

I haven't heard from one ex-Porter guy I know that they regret leaving so they could have maybe flown a regional jet one day for less pay...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Ok, I will represent the travelling public and from a consumer prospective it would appear competition for our travel dollars will be keen. Bring it on(Porter, Flair et al) we say and wishing nothing but the very best to all entrants going forward to the future. I speak as someone who has never been affiliated with any airline past or present. Good luck to all.

:drinkers:

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

PorterJet will need a niche. What will that niche be?

I doubt that it will be the base fare plus add-on product being offered by Flair. I also don’t see them mimicking Swoop or Rouge.

So what is left? Upscale. Sell premium service and product for economy fares. Example would be what VirginAmerica was offering prior to the Alaska buyout.

Can that type of product be sustained in a market of 35 million, particularly in competition with AC and TS? We will see.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

rudder wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:23 am PorterJet will need a niche. What will that niche be?

I doubt that it will be the base fare plus add-on product being offered by Flair. I also don’t see them mimicking Swoop or Rouge.

So what is left? Upscale. Sell premium service and product for economy fares. Example would be what VirginAmerica was offering prior to the Alaska buyout.

Can that type of product be sustained in a market of 35 million, particularly in competition with AC and TS? We will see.
Anything that Porter does out of YYZ will be matched by AC and WJ.

WestJet has been pretty aggressive at beating down Flair while they are trying to take market share from Air Canada. I doubt that they'll give Porter a pass.

monsieur_zero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by monsieur_zero »

Any updates on how many pilots got recalled to start in September?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Bid was yesterday, not sure the exact number but roughly for 120 ish spots if I recall. Another 100 for october. Sounds like thats probably just their comfortable number for actually getting the training completed at a time.

acpaleaks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acpaleaks »

C-GGGQ wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 am Bid was yesterday, not sure the exact number but roughly for 120 ish spots if I recall. Another 100 for october. Sounds like thats probably just their comfortable number for actually getting the training completed at a time.
How many total pilots at Porter?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

acpaleaks wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:43 pm
C-GGGQ wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 am Bid was yesterday, not sure the exact number but roughly for 120 ish spots if I recall. Another 100 for october. Sounds like thats probably just their comfortable number for actually getting the training completed at a time.
How many total pilots at Porter?

FatPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FatPilot »

Flying a jet is very different than flying a turboprop. Im not saying Porter pilots cant do it,, but I can say none of them are used to it. There will be some hair raising moments until they get some experience.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Fair question - what is preventing Porter from simply hiring OTS for the E2 operation?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

rudder wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:52 am Fair question - what is preventing Porter from simply hiring OTS for the E2 operation?
Doubt there is anyone to hire? Plus seniority would make that moot. No ones running e2’s here yet. Unless you’re saying AC pilots would “go down” to Porter.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:00 am
rudder wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:52 am Fair question - what is preventing Porter from simply hiring OTS for the E2 operation?
Doubt there is anyone to hire? Plus seniority would make that moot. No ones running e2’s here yet. Unless you’re saying AC pilots would “go down” to Porter.
There are many people still furloughed in Canada and abroad.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

I guess the point I am making is what are the work ownership rights for current Porter pilots (otherwise known as scope)?

What prevents Porter from staffing the entire E2 operation with OTS pilots?

What prevents Porter from setting up a separate operating certificate for the E2?

I am not suggesting this will be the outcome. I am just trying to see what protections current Porter pilots have. If all 295 current Porter pilots decide they want to fly the E2, that is 295 extra initial training courses on the Q400 for their replacements.

My guess is MD will not be a fan of that. Then of course there is the issue of E2 pay rates…..

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:02 am
There are many people still furloughed in Canada and abroad.
None with an applicable type rating, so I don’t see the point of letting them jump your own pilots. Especially since once the next bid comes out unless you put in protections they lose their seat because of seniority anyway. I know for a fact that at porter you get bumped down when someone “behind” you upgrades after you.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

rudder wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:06 am
I guess the point I am making is what are the work ownership rights for current Porter pilots (otherwise known as scope)?

What prevents Porter from setting up a separate operating certificate for the E2?

I am not suggesting this will be the outcome. I am just trying to see what protections current Porter pilots have. If all 295 current Porter pilots decide they want to fly the E2, that is 295 extra initial training courses on the Q400 for their replacements.

My guess is MD will not be a fan of that. Then of course there is the issue of E2 pay rates…..
As far as I know their bidding system is what would prevent that. Even if they hired ots for the jets you’d never hold it cause someone would bump you down. Now with 30 jets coming (and possibly more q’s) ots will happen. All 295 upgrading still won’t make the 650 pilots their planning on total between the two aircraft.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:21 am

As far as I know their bidding system is what would prevent that. Even if they hired ots for the jets you’d never hold it cause someone would bump you down. Now with 30 jets coming (and possibly more q’s) ots will happen. All 295 upgrading still won’t make the 650 pilots their planning on total between the two aircraft.
The better, more mature collective agreements have wording to prevent displacement simply because someone what's to fly the shinny new toy. Its recognized that the OTS pilots where "required" to be operational as expeditiously as possible and therefore protected in some form or they simply would take the position. However what does happen is that as positions open up on the new toy and get filled by a seniority equipment bid the OTS pilots quality of work life degrades. The risk of a reserve block could becomes a very real possibility for a protracted length of time.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:55 am

The better, more mature collective agreements have wording to prevent displacement simply because someone what's to fly the shinny new toy. Its recognized that the OTS pilots where "required" to be operational as expeditiously as possible and therefore protected in some form or they simply would take the position. However what does happen is that as positions open up on the new toy and get filled by a seniority equipment bid the OTS pilots quality of work life degrades. The risk of a reserve block could becomes a very real possibility for a protracted length of time.
Thats why i’m saying OTS will not likely be a thing. Unless the agreement is rewritten they have no protections as far as I know.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:21 am
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:55 am

Thats why i’m saying OTS will not likely be a thing. Unless the agreement is rewritten they have no protections as far as I know.
If they're adding 30 jets OTS will happen. I doubt Porter has the internal experience to adequately staff a training department for E2 operations. They'll need to hire some experienced jet operators to assist. Nor would the company want to lose all it's experienced Q pilots at once to the jet.

Return to “Porter Airlines”