Porter Airlines shifts restart of flights date to June 29

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Porter Airlines shifts restart of flights date to June 29

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:48 am
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 am As much as I like the airline, I certainly won't be booking anything with them anytime soon. Not until they're actually flying again. At this point, they've proven that their restart dates simply cannot be trusted. I'd hate to see them go, but constantly shifting the goalposts like this is seriously harming consumer confidence, I think.
Their restart dates have always been linked to the situation that is presented at that time. They've also included reasons why they keep pushing back the restart date; and it's pretty much been due to border restrictions, isolation rules, passenger demand, and recently vaccine rollout. Based on their business model, their hands have been tied as the government keep shifting the posts for them.

Is it frustrating as a passenger that the date keeps getting pushed back? Ask their crews!
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to assign any fault to Porter. I don't envy their position. I just think it's a very unfortunate reality.
---------- ADS -----------

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Porter Airlines
May 17, 2021, 09:30 ET

TORONTO, May 17, 2021 /CNW/ - Porter Airlines is resetting its tentative date for resuming flights to July 20.

"It's encouraging to see the recovery of the aviation industry in the U.S.," said Michael Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines. "As vaccination rates in Canada increase, we are hopeful travel restrictions and public health measures will ease, so we can recall our team members, welcome back our passengers and begin to rebuild the airline."

Porter previously set June 21, as its tentative restart date. Operations were temporarily suspended on March 21, 2020, due to COVID-19.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

F

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The cost of reopening Billy Bishop cannot be sustained by a 10% operation. Or 20%. Even 30% is questionable.

I don’t see Porter turning a prop prior to Labour Day. HRH JT and Princess Tam want Canada closed for the summer. We ‘might’ get permission to have backyard bbq’s with friends by Canada Day. Maritimes are closed. Travel to US (at least the return portion) is effectively prohibited.

There is no realistic demand for the Porter product. Would be lucky to be operating at 30% of 2019 capacity by Xmas 2021.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

This is complete BS. Trudeau and Doug need to put some advertising out that its now safe to travel. We need a jump start. Its not enough to say we are open for business... travel should be encouraged. We need to break down the fear. Everything is pointing to its safe to open. lets go!

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

That restart date may be accelerated if Jazz starts operations out of the island soon.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

alkaseltzer wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:45 pm That restart date may be accelerated if Jazz starts operations out of the island soon.
I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for AC to resume YTZ operations.

Same timeframe - after Labour Day. At best.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

rudder wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:59 pm
I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for AC to resume YTZ operations.

Same timeframe - after Labour Day. At best.
AC is starting flights out of YTZ June 21 i believe.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

sanjet wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:55 pm
Nope.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

rudder wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:59 pm
sanjet wrote:
Nope.
That’s the date according to the AC website.
154B4F68-5300-4BEA-A031-8C31D5203C22.jpeg
154B4F68-5300-4BEA-A031-8C31D5203C22.jpeg (246.62 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
Of course that is subject to change, but I haven’t heard an un-announcement yet.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

NotDirty! wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:51 pm
sanjet wrote:
Nope.
That’s the date according to the AC website. 154B4F68-5300-4BEA-A031-8C31D5203C22.jpeg
Of course that is subject to change, but I haven’t heard an un-announcement yet.
It'll be cancelled at the last minute due to a last minute modification to restrictions from the Ford government.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

sanjet wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:55 pm
Nope.
Thanks, I’ll call AC management and tell them to cancel the flights.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:08 pm

Nope.
That’s the date according to the AC website. 154B4F68-5300-4BEA-A031-8C31D5203C22.jpeg
It'll be cancelled at the last minute due to a last minute modification to restrictions from the Ford government.
This.

We should be smack dab in the 4th wave by then! :mrgreen:

Let’s Go Brandon
genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:26 pm
This.

We should be smack dab in the 4th wave by then! :mrgreen:
…with pre-planning for the 5th and 6th being well underway, by the Ford regime…

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Nope.
Rob Ford (Doug Ford's deceased brother) was a big supporter of the Island airport and Bob Deluce.

You may be onto something.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

genetic jack hammer wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:43 pm …with pre-planning for the 5th and 6th being well underway, by the Ford regime…
I know you're joking, but that's the stupidest thing I've seen yet today.

Implying that this is a 'plandemic' is beyond stupid, but also believing that the Ford government is capable of creating and following a plan.

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

I think this is actually going to be the last time porter pushes back its reopening. Sure, the travel outlook by end july will still be pretty bleak in the maritimes and canada/us but i believe that in the months that follow you will begin to see demand ramping up. And the thing everyone needs to remember is that Poter has been shut down for over a year, and every dispatcher/pilot/trainer/FA is not current at this time, plus all their aircraft are in storage mode. This means that porters reopening will be a very slow one, with many things to do. Could take them months and months b4 they could ramp up to meet demand which is why I believe they will reopen in July, very modestly; and begin the process. Because at this time every forecaster is expecting a steep ramp up in demand from fall to winter and they will want to be ready for that.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Tolip wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:43 am I think this is actually going to be the last time porter pushes back its reopening.
Do we know how they're doing fiscally?

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

From what I've heard ...

Once the "green light" is pushed on the official restart date, 8 weeks prior is when the ball will get rolling. Porter has stated that the restart will depend on border restrictions, vaccinations, and market demand. So IF Porter plans on restarting at the end of July, then next week pilots can expect a recall letter. Not likely at this point. Thanksgiving is my prediction, although I wouldn't be surprised if it Christmas 2021.

As for their financial situation, it's been asked to the CEO a few times, how long can Porter stay dormant. The answer has always been political in nature, saying that we in a good financial position post terminal sale and that they could stay closed till the end of the year 2021; but after that it could be a little more difficult to get going. It's also been mentioned that the restart will be very small in the start ramping up as required. There is a plan for 'international' and 'domestic only' pending on the landscape

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Grey_Wolf wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:05 pm From what I've heard ...

Once the "green light" is pushed on the official restart date, 8 weeks prior is when the ball will get rolling. Porter has stated that the restart will depend on border restrictions, vaccinations, and market demand. So IF Porter plans on restarting at the end of July, then next week pilots can expect a recall letter. Not likely at this point. Thanksgiving is my prediction, although I wouldn't be surprised if it Christmas 2021.

As for their financial situation, it's been asked to the CEO a few times, how long can Porter stay dormant. The answer has always been political in nature, saying that we in a good financial position post terminal sale and that they could stay closed till the end of the year 2021; but after that it could be a little more difficult to get going. It's also been mentioned that the restart will be very small in the start ramping up as required. There is a plan for 'international' and 'domestic only' pending on the landscape
Porter will always be the outcast in Q400 flying in Canada (who uses flap 40 for every landing?), but I hope that they have an speedy and uneventful resumption to service.

Return to “Porter Airlines”