Cannabis for COVID-19

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Cannabis for COVID-19

Post by McKinley »

Here’s an interesting article... as the world races to develop a method to at least reduce the potency of this infection Cannabis is appearing to show some promise. Hypothetically, if Cannabis even shows a 70% effectiveness of some form against COVID I wonder what TC would do? Could TC exclude us as pilots from this treatment under the premise that CBD could have .0001% of THC thus rendering us as aircrew impaired if there was .0001% THC content in the CBD? Would that constitute grounds for a human rights complaint ? How would this work on transborder routes?

Even the “ malaria treatment” is NASTY stuff.

https://calgaryherald.com/cannabis/cann ... esearcher/

Regardless of what it is And where I comes from I’m hoping something is found. Cannabis and other psychedelic/ non psychedelic plant plant medicines have been used to treat illness since the dawn of humanity... it’s not surprising for me that some thing has been found in Cannabis sooner.

Hope everyone is healthy, both mentally and physically during these trying times.
---------- ADS -----------

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Cannabis for COVID-19

Post by ayseven »

Transport Canada can exclude you from a Cat 1 Medical for taking all sorts of medications. This is no different. It will likely just go on the list of banned meds.

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

I can see your point.

However, with a pandemic, aviation being an essential service ( how long have strikes lasted historically before the GOV’T steps in?) is that a viable option?

Or could this be the time for TC comes out of it’s black and white thinking?

I don’t know ... it’s certainly interesting to pontificate.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

McKinley wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:07 am I can see your point.

However, with a pandemic, aviation being an essential service ( how long have strikes lasted historically before the GOV’T steps in?) is that a viable option?

Since over 75% of pilots in Canada are laid off or at least not working, it's safe to say they have ample supply of healthy pilots if so required. No need to let them fly after Cannabis ingestion/injection/...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

No need to let them fly after Cannabis ingestion/injection/...
You don't inject cannabis :lol:

Regardless of its intake form I'd have no problem with my pilot having a toke a night or two before.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

There’s also a French study seeing if nicotine prevents COVID.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/do ... ising-data

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

indieadventurer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:01 pm

Regardless of its intake form I'd have no problem with my pilot having a toke a night or two before.
No, but you do inject THC. If they ever derive a cure or vaccin out of it, chances are you'd get it in a more classic form of medication: pills, syrup, injections. I doubt they'll bake you space cake in the hospital or have you smoke it. But stranger things have probably happened.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
PRM1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PRM1 »

digits_ wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Since over 75% of pilots in Canada are laid off or at least not working, it's safe to say they have ample supply of healthy pilots if so required. No need to let them fly after Cannabis ingestion/injection/...
Yeah, better to let the functioning alcoholics fly us around without predjudice...

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

PRM1 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:34 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Yeah, better to let the functioning alcoholics fly us around without predjudice...
Literal laugh out loud.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

digits_ wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:57 pm
indieadventurer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:01 pm

No, but you do inject THC. If they ever derive a cure or vaccin out of it, chances are you'd get it in a more classic form of medication: pills, syrup, injections. I doubt they'll bake you space cake in the hospital or have you smoke it. But stranger things have probably happened.
You don't inject THC. Only people injecting THC are Scientists into things for labratory purposes.

If you want to ingest THC in high concentrations, you go for the distillates (sauce, diamonds, shatter, RSO etc) or the other common methods which contain less potency.

Seriously bud... injecting THC? Tell me you've never tried Marijuana without telling me a you've never tried it. :roll:

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Or maybe if you are spaced out-you dont know or care if you have covid. :smt040 :smt040

The cannabis industry is not doing so well . It seems every week there is another study revealing a miracle cure for something from THC.
Its called marketing.

I don’t smoke because I am a pothead. I smoke, eat, or in-jest for mystical medicinal purposes.
Sure sounds better doesnt it!

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Crsaviation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crsaviation »

trey kule wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:02 am Or maybe if you are spaced out-you dont know or care if you have covid. :smt040 :smt040

The cannabis industry is not doing so well . It seems every week there is another study revealing a miracle cure for something from THC.
Its called marketing.

I don’t smoke because I am a pothead. I smoke, eat, or in-jest for mystical medicinal purposes.
Sure sounds better doesnt it!
So someone smokes some weed and they are a pothead? By that logic, someone who has a beer is an alcoholic. It's quite backwards how we can drink our faces off but can't even use CBD for medicinal purposes. I give it to my dog for her arthritis and she's like a new dog. There is no denying it's benefits. Especially with mental health being big news these days. Alcohol is a depressant.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”