Best guess when recalls could happen

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Best guess when recalls could happen

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

tango308 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:18 pm All pilots recalled at Jazz. Welcome back all!
Amazing!

Congratulations to all of you!
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

link821 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:34 pm My best guess is August 29th, 2021.
Surplus pilots recalled August 29 are at a reduced pay guarantee until training commenced. For quite a few, training will be delayed pending results of the August equipment bid and the associated training plan. Others will requalify in their pre-layoff position.

Pilots subject to recall have several options including recall deferral.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Curious to know how many delayed the recall or simply decline the recall notice?

I’ve been hearing a few people saying they wanted to quit the industry after what happened. My one friend who came directly from a pathway program found out he doesn’t like it as much as he thought and he’s going back to college to pursue a different career.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

There will be several who choose other careers and leave flying for good. I can’t really say I blame them. Having some decent seniority is worth gold right now.

Let’s Go Brandon
Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Anyone know if the company is under any obligation to hire back in order of start date, those who had initial ground schools cancelled before actually starting with Jazz last year ?

Gravity always wins
tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

Kosiw wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:04 am Anyone know if the company is under any obligation to hire back in order of start date, those who had initial ground schools cancelled before actually starting with Jazz last year ?
These pilots were never employees of Jazz and never had their seniority drawn, the company is under no obligation. I am however willing to bet that Jazz will extend offer-of-employment letters to those people once things turn around and they start hiring again.

AlphaOne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AlphaOne »

It's beyond frustrating that furloughed Jazz pilots were able to make bank with the CEWS/side gig combo, and will now all be back on payroll by the end of August, flying routes that wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Big Red completely disregarding scope. Meanwhile, furloughed AC drivers (who are pretty much lepers when it comes to finding another aviation gig) are out of EI with no prospects of support from the company or ACPA. I know it's a business, but at some point you need to start thinking of the well being of some of your most valuable assets: your pilots.

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

AlphaOne wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:37 am It's beyond frustrating that furloughed Jazz pilots were able to make bank with the CEWS/side gig combo, and will now all be back on payroll by the end of August, flying routes that wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Big Red completely disregarding scope. Meanwhile, furloughed AC drivers (who are pretty much lepers when it comes to finding another aviation gig) are out of EI with no prospects of support from the company or ACPA. I know it's a business, but at some point you need to start thinking of the well being of some of your most valuable assets: your pilots.
You really think the pilots are the most valuable asset? ACPA and 60% of the pilot group are too stupid to even realize that.. Why the hell would the company show any regard for the pilots being valuable when they don't even know it themselves..

acpaleaks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acpaleaks »

Kosiw wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:04 am Anyone know if the company is under any obligation to hire back in order of start date, those who had initial ground schools cancelled before actually starting with Jazz last year ?
The VP of flight ops said in a webinar recently that they will honour those job offers when it comes time to hire again.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

acpaleaks wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:09 am
The VP of flight ops said in a webinar recently that they will honour those job offers when it comes time to hire again.
Good to know 👍 (no i am not one of them) nice to see a company at least try to do the fair thing. Whats everyones guesses for new hire classes? I’m calling November for the regionals to start up again, but would think feb march at the latest.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Super ! Thanks for the info :smt023

Gravity always wins
mahmoudmer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mahmoudmer »

Does this mean that they'll be extending the offers again without another application process?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

C-GGGQ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:16 am Whats everyones guesses for new hire classes? I’m calling November for the regionals to start up again, but would think feb march at the latest.
It will take Jazz several months (3-4) beyond August to get recalled pilots trained and then up to a further 6 months to get pilots trained in to awarded positions from the upcoming equipment bid.

My guess is LOU 55 is a full employment scenario based on estimates of staffing requirements for summer 2022. It is unlikely to result in any hiring until such time as Jazz attrition to AC resumes. Without AC attrition, fall 2022 would be the soonest for Jazz hiring. More likely late winter or spring 2023.

Having said that, if 100+ pilots decline recall (resign) then Jazz could be hiring by spring 2022.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Fair enough. Wasn’t sure how backlogged/ bottlenecked training would be. A guy can dream though

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

C-GGGQ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:44 am Fair enough. Wasn’t sure how backlogged/ bottlenecked training would be. A guy can dream though
Pilots who previously deferred recall must return either August 29 or training date/effective date of equipment bid award or sooner to previous position if junior available. There will be extremely limited LOA opportunities.

There will be pilots who choose not to return for financial or lifestyle reasons. Some have already resigned.

Any potential shortfall of pilots will be identified in Bid 2021-01. That means answers about any near term hiring (within next 6-10 months) will be known by September.

Jazz is not obliged to hire for unfilled positions that result from the bid. I cannot see any scenario that results in OTS hiring prior to spring 2022.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

A response from HR - “hoping to be in contact with all that had been in the process of starting by early 2022”

a_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by a_pilot »

AlphaOne wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:37 am It's beyond frustrating that furloughed Jazz pilots were able to make bank with the CEWS/side gig combo, and will now all be back on payroll by the end of August, flying routes that wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Big Red completely disregarding scope. Meanwhile, furloughed AC drivers (who are pretty much lepers when it comes to finding another aviation gig) are out of EI with no prospects of support from the company or ACPA. I know it's a business, but at some point you need to start thinking of the well being of some of your most valuable assets: your pilots.
Travel is rough. Big Red tried 'alternate fleet assignments' slapping narrow bodies on Jazz routes, and it didn't exactly last. A320 doing YVR-YYJ? Tried and discontinued. Most routes just got dropped outright, for a whopping 0$ revenue. Better than negative.

Jazz always flew more domestic and transborder routes for Big Red, and still does, and still will, because that's the market size, and that's whats recovering faster. But it's still not surpassing previous levels, so tossing large empty planes onto mis-matched routes and bleeding money doesn't help anyone in the end.

It sucks, but it's better than bankruptcy and watching everyone scramble for whatever's left. Patience, it all come back.

Or find a way to make a 777 profitable out of Saskatoon.

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

I'm curious to know the status of the march 14th, 2020 ground school group. Since "everyone" is being recalled, this should include those as well since seniority number were awarded.

I believe they were sent back home before the 2nd week of their training started.

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
acpaleaks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acpaleaks »

Caterpillar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:32 pm I'm curious to know the status of the march 14th, 2020 ground school group. Since "everyone" is being recalled, this should include those as well since seniority number were awarded.

I believe they were sent back home before the 2nd week of their training started.
Anyone given a seniority number will be part of recalls. They have an official start date with AC which was the day 1 of PIT. So of course they will be part of it.

The class that had 40 odd people all quit their jobs, and then prepare with LMS modules to start PIT only to have it pulled and offers rescinded shortly before the class date on the other hands are SOL. Pretty shitty thing to do, take back an offer when you already had people give in their notices and do online learning. The least AC could have done was "officially" hire them and get them ACPA numbers and then lay them off. But we all know that's something AC management would never do.

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

acpaleaks wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:44 pm
Caterpillar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:32 pm I'm curious to know the status of the march 14th, 2020 ground school group. Since "everyone" is being recalled, this should include those as well since seniority number were awarded.

Anyone given a seniority number will be part of recalls. They have an official start date with AC which was the day 1 of PIT. So of course they will be part of it.

The class that had 40 odd people all quit their jobs, and then prepare with LMS modules to start PIT only to have it pulled and offers rescinded shortly before the class date on the other hands are SOL. Pretty shitty thing to do, take back an offer when you already had people give in their notices and do online learning. The least AC could have done was "officially" hire them and get them ACPA numbers and then lay them off. But we all know that's something AC management would never do.
The thread is about Jazz, not AC...

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”