Termination of CEWS on July 4th?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Termination of CEWS on July 4th?

Post by rudder »

timeflies wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:17 am Jazz announced that they are finally extending CEWS until the end of August. Sky's (new) MEC should do everything in his power to get the same deal for his pilots...
How many Sky pilots active for July? Jazz still has 675 (50% of line pilots) inactive.
---------- ADS -----------

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

rudder wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:40 am
timeflies wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:17 am Jazz announced that they are finally extending CEWS until the end of August. Sky's (new) MEC should do everything in his power to get the same deal for his pilots...
How many Sky pilots active for July? Jazz still has 675 (50% of line pilots) inactive.
heard it's gonna be around 115 instead of the 180 planned. gotta confirm with someone from Sky. I guess it's because the border's closure got extended until the end of July.

on another note why would your MEC resign a month after signing the CBA? but more importantly, in the middle of the worst time ever for his pilot group?

I hope the new one will get this CEWS extended.

straight2thepoint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by straight2thepoint »

Yes, it will be between 115-120.

The MEC chair resigned because of the shady ass sh!t he did when initial layoffs and downgrades came up.

And I’d say we’re all hoping for a CEWS extension.

dash8driver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dash8driver »

Sky Regional came to the conclusion to terminate the CEWS on July 4th. Their reasoning:
‘the CEWS program is designed to cover employees with a confirmed return to active status within a specific period. The current uncertainty with our flight schedule demands, recalls with a set date is not predictable’

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

It may also be that with 115 or more pilots back on the propety SKV no longer qualifies for the CEWS program with more 30% of their pre-Covid19 staff back in service.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:12 am It may also be that with 115 or more pilots back on the propety SKV no longer qualifies for the CEWS program with more 30% of their pre-Covid19 staff back in service.
There is no employment threshold for CEWS. The qualification is >30% reduction in business (revenue).

The Feds have been extremely liberal (pun intended) with the ability to claim CEWS. Many airline employers have been very transparent about the size of the benefit they are receiving each month for both active and inactive staff. The notional concept of CEWS was to motivate employers to keep staff on payroll and not subscribed to CERB or EI. In the end, the money is all coming from the same Federal taxpayer dollar pot.

If the CEWS qualifications are clarified to require ‘imminent return to full employment’ then this will affect entitlement for several airline employers. Regardless, I predict that CEWS availability will be extended again behind August 29 for qualified employers.

Here is a Q&A from an employment law firm.

https://duttonlaw.ca/canada-emergency-w ... _employers

sdotz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdotz »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:12 am It may also be that with 115 or more pilots back on the propety SKV no longer qualifies for the CEWS program with more 30% of their pre-Covid19 staff back in service.
I thought it was based on revenue lost? Not based on staff on property.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

This recieve directly from the ALPA MEC, and I quote:

CEWS Disqualification

On Monday, the MEC was notified that Sky Regional is no longer able to meet the CEWS financial eligibility qualifications dictated by the government of Canada. It is our understanding that it is the Company's preference to continue with the CEWS program for as long as possible; however, they do not have the authority to change the criteria outlined by the federal government.

Seems clear enough I'd say

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:05 am This recieve directly from the ALPA MEC, and I quote:

CEWS Disqualification

On Monday, the MEC was notified that Sky Regional is no longer able to meet the CEWS financial eligibility qualifications dictated by the government of Canada. It is our understanding that it is the Company's preference to continue with the CEWS program for as long as possible; however, they do not have the authority to change the criteria outlined by the federal government.

Seems clear enough I'd say
So, what is it that is happening on July 4th that magically disqualifies Skyregional vs SWG, or TS, or Jazz, or any of another dozen Part 704/705 air carrier employers subscribed to the program? And why not today? Or yesterday? Or Monday?

The lack of specificity is glaring.

hydro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by hydro »

Jul 5th is the day that changes to eligibility can take effect. I can't find any reference to any publicly announced changes yet.
As of June 17, 2020, the Federal Government’s website indicates that any changes to the eligibility criteria for the CEWS would commence as of periods 5 (July 5 to August 1) and/or 6 (August 2 to August 29). As such, employers can continue to apply the eligibility criteria set out below for compensation paid to employees during period 4 (June 7 to July 4).

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

JT is BEGGING employers to subscribe to the thus far grossly undersubscribed CEWS program.

I cannot imagine that he will direct Morneau to make CEWS eligibility more restrictive as he seeks to add 8 weeks of entitlement. But you never know.

https://www.bdo.ca/en-ca/insights/tax/t ... -programs/

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

Last edited by timeflies on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Is it possible that under the terms of the AC CPA (non-public information) that Skyregional revenue has not declined or has ceased to decline beyond the 30% threshold? If the majority of Skyregional expenses (aircraft leases, fuel, rent, insurance, crew training, payroll) are showing as ‘pass through’ or are paid directly by AC, it may be that Skyregional actual revenue is nominal and mostly unaffected, particularly after a partial resumption of operations.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Employers now have to prove the employees on it are required. With all the talk of big reductions for the next couple of years - some companies cant substantiate keeping all those employees when they are redundant and will be laid off anyways.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

timeflies wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:33 am For some reasons I used to think the problem at Sky Regional Airlines was management. In fact, the problem is the pilots and especially their union representatives.

The minimum flying block is back at 75hrs since June.(the only 705 with layoffs in Canada doing so)

So i’m Shaking my head asking myself;

How in hell can you accept the minimum flying at 75Hours while your collegues are on lay off ? Or how can you stay quite on that?

I’m hearing there is a draft there in there as well and now they are making a draft list, LOL

Please Dont tell me that it’s a scheduling issue and pairings are not productive that’s pure bullshit.

I've been laid off from Jazz. Don't we as well have our active pilots at 75hr+ blocks? Sky had been at 55 hr blocks in April and May. June they were at 65 hr MMG. July is the first month since covid hit where they are back to 75hr blocks. My friends over at Sky mentioned there was no voting on block hours just like us at Jazz.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

a2btrail wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:11 pm
timeflies wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:33 am For some reasons I used to think the problem at Sky Regional Airlines was management. In fact, the problem is the pilots and especially their union representatives.

The minimum flying block is back at 75hrs since June.(the only 705 with layoffs in Canada doing so)

So i’m Shaking my head asking myself;

How in hell can you accept the minimum flying at 75Hours while your collegues are on lay off ? Or how can you stay quite on that?

I’m hearing there is a draft there in there as well and now they are making a draft list, LOL

Please Dont tell me that it’s a scheduling issue and pairings are not productive that’s pure bullshit.

I've been laid off from Jazz. Don't we as well have our active pilots at 75hr+ blocks? Sky had been at 55 hr blocks in April and May. June they were at 65 hr MMG. July is the first month since covid hit where they are back to 75hr blocks. My friends over at Sky mentioned there was no voting on block hours just like us at Jazz.
Jazz never changed. it was 75hrs since the beginning and they kept it that way. Sky's(weak MEC team) set 55hrs as minimum guarantee to ''keep more pilots on property '' and then decided just like that to raise it at the normal 75hrs going against their promises.

There is draft nearly everyday at SKY and yet more than 170 pilots on layoff status. go figure.

dash8driver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dash8driver »

Even with the requirement for a revenue decrease having been eliminated for CEWS eligibility, SKV management can’t seem to be accepted for the program. The Union has not been much help either. Only providing a response that they will continue to keep the pilots updated.

This company is truly cementing itself as one of Canada’s worst airlines to work for. Taking advantage of any loophole possible to exploit employees. When they have the chance however, to do something for the pilot group that will not cost them anything, they still cannot deliver (CEWS). This is even after Russ asked the pilot group to do him a favour by signing a petition to the federal government regarding its COVID-19 response.

...Maybe this is just a reflection of the scum that many, but not all aviation management truly are.
I apologize for the negativity and hope that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

I'd be willing to scratch Russ's back if he's willing to scratch mine.
I'll pick up the phone and call the Pope if Russ pushes a little harder to get the pilots on CEWS.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

How many pilots are on the schedule?

straight2thepoint
Rank 1
Rank 1