When is Air Transat likely to resume flights

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: When is Air Transat likely to resume flights

Post by The Hammer »

The UK didn't waive the 14 day isolation requirement for Canada.....
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

The Hammer wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:36 am The UK didn't waive the 14 day isolation requirement for Canada.....
I’m not sure why we should be surprised. Even the exemption from the EU requires reciprocity.

Anyone hear a word on the subject of EU reciprocity from JT?

Silence from him means he is going to do nothing. It’s his hallmark.

I think it is pretty obvious Canada is going to stick with quarantine and pass on offered reciprocity agreements with other countries.

That means 14 day quarantine outbound and inbound for all Canadians. A month of quarantine to travel outside our boarders.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Fanblade wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:06 pm
I’m not sure why we should be surprised. Even the exemption from the EU requires reciprocity.
Not true according to CBC. EU only required reciprocity from China with the latest announcement.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

From the EU itself

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pres ... countries/
Reciprocity should also be taken into account regularly and on a case-by-case basis.
Applies too all, not just China

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:56 pm
Fanblade wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:06 pm
Not true according to CBC. EU only required reciprocity from China with the latest announcement.
As Gilles pointed out. China Is singled out as needing to show reciprocity first before the exemption applies. All other countries are given the benefit of the doubt about their willingness to participate and reciprocate. Time is needed to assess reciprocity from countries considered safe.

If they don’t this applies.

Reciprocity should also be taken into account regularly and on a case-by-case basis.

So what is Canada planning? If we insist on quarantine for people from the EU we won’t be reciprocating.

All JT needs to do is nothing and the travel bubble with the EU will fall apart.

This was announced on July 1.

https://simpleflying.com/canada-foreign-traveler-ban/

I think there was some wishful thinking this was just temporary until Canada had a chance to bring in an exemption for the EU in response.

It looks to me Canada just said thanks but no thanks. Our ability to travel to the EU this summer looks at risk of dying on the vine.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:27 pm From the EU itself

Can you point out where it says reciprocity applies to all, not just China?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... ip_20_1035
Given that the health situation in certain third countries remains critical, the Commission does not propose a general lifting of the travel restriction at this stage. The restriction should be lifted for countries selected together by Member States, based on a set of principles and objective criteria including the health situation, the ability to apply containment measures during travel, and reciprocity considerations, taking into account data from relevant sources such as ECDC and WHO.
I don't read the word China anywhere here.

This BBC article gives some background info:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53222356
Then came France, insisting on reciprocity. If a non-EU country was barring flights from the bloc, argued Paris, they shouldn't appear on the list.

And finally: diplomatic considerations. How awkward for the EU to include some countries but not others. Thumbs up to visitors from Canada, Japan and China from 1 July - if Beijing allows EU visitors entry - but not travellers from the US.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:29 am
Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:27 pm From the EU itself

Can you point out where it says reciprocity applies to all, not just China?
Last line under the heading of Criteria reads:

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Hey guys I think it might be decided on case-by-case basis. I can't decide which is fake news this thread or the dozen media outlet reporting Canada is not quarantined entering EU.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:30 am Hey guys I think it might be decided on case-by-case basis. I can't decide which is fake news this thread or the dozen media outlet reporting Canada is not quarantined entering EU.
Canadians currently do not have to quarantine going to the EU. They are paying for tickets and hotels based on this.

The problem is that could abruptly change without reciprocity from Canada. Reciprocity that was refused about 5 days/3 working days ago when the Canadian government extended quarantine without exemption for EU residents.

The correct answer is we have no idea how the EU will react to Canada not reciprocating.

Perhaps they will let it go. Perhaps they won’t.

Either way people are currently planning vacations based on no quarantine to the EU and JT hasn’t even mentioned that his quarantine extension may have killed the deal.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Either way people are currently planning vacations based on no quarantine to the EU and JT hasn’t even mentioned that his quarantine extension may have killed the deal.
He’s already killing everything else .. may as well finish off the job! Economy, hopes, dreams ... all swirling the toilet bowl. I’m ready to rewind to the Harper years.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I see Transat has taken to the skies again .. how are the loads looking?

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Where are they flying to?

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Localizer wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:30 am I see Transat has taken to the skies again .. how are the loads looking?
Not as bad as I thought: first flights were more than 3/4 full (ie CDG about 48 seats remaining in the A330), in August some destinations are 3/4 full also and others are just a little more than half full so far; and it becomes better at the end of august.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Cappo1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cappo1 »

FL320 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:27 pm
Localizer wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:30 am I see Transat has taken to the skies again .. how are the loads looking?
Not as bad as I thought: first flights were more than 3/4 full (ie CDG about 48 seats remaining in the A330), in August some destinations are 3/4 full also and others are just a little more than half full so far; and it becomes better at the end of august.
How long do you predict TS has left before Canada loses another airline? I give it until Christmas 2020.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Cappo1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:31 pm
How long do you predict TS has left before Canada loses another airline? I give it until Christmas 2020.
With the money now available but not yet officially announced...not before 2022 at least; you can get your CPL and then apply to Transat without fear. :D

Last edited by FL320 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

Cappo1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:31 pm
One thing that we have to give to Transat is that they WILL always weather the storm. now look at you Cappo1. another troll back at it again with the negative energy, trying to predict the end for 600+ families.. go back playing call of duty in your parents basement youll b better at doing that

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »