Confederation College Flight Training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

YJL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Confederation College Flight Training

Post by YJL »

Hi Folks,

I will be starting my grade 12 year and looking forward to an airline pilot career. I recently stumbled upon the aviation program at Confederation college by looking at forums on AV Canada and I want to know the following plz:

1. Does the tuition posted on the web include flight costs as I know that if i were to train somewhere else (waterloo, western) the total cost would be 100k+
2. I expect my grade 12 average to be in the low 90's so what are the chances that I will be admitted into the program

3. What are the chances of failing this program?

4. Whats the chance of being selected into the Jazz Aviation Pathway Program after graduating as I know that Confederation College is one of the participating colleges for Jazz Aviation

5. Are there any other universities or colleges that offer similar programs at the same cost?

6. What are the impacts of Covid-19 on the aviation market and my future employment?

+
I consider myself as hardworking and I am willing to fly in the north after graduating and how many years until i could be flying for the major airlines after the Covid-19 crisis as i don't come from a rich family.

Many thanks,

Daniel
---------- ADS -----------

snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Confederation College Flight Training

Post by snowcrest »

Failure rate? High.
Jazz pathway program? May not even be a thing for a good few years due to the impacts for covid-19, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Plus only the top students get in which further narrows the shortlist of cadets.

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

I believe confed’s program is subsidized a bit by the government so you can expect to pay less at it. Seneca and Sault College are also subsidized.

So there are pros and cons to the college verse university route. College aviation programs are extremely specific and therefore do not give you as many fall back options in industry down turns, where as university does. For example, you can easily add a masters degree of any nature onto a bachelor earned at one of the universities that offer flight training across Canada, although in your case it looks like you’re looking at Ontario specifically.

2. Your average will set you up for success if you can maintain a low 90’s average. I expect that the 3 top college programs in Ontario will be more difficult to get into in the Fall 2021 intake, as the Fall 2020 intakes have been cancelled, so there will likely be more applicants in 2021 than the average year, therefore driving up the required average. This will not be seen at university programs, as no university program has deferred fall 2020 intakes as of yet, and I don’t see that happening at all.

3. College programs do weed the less successful students out of the cohort more so than the university programs do, especially during/immediately after first year.

4. All depends on industry demand, if Jazz has not recalled all their furloughed pilots then I imagine they won’t be taking on many 250hr pilots. The men and women that get into Jazz through this 250hr program are the absolute top of the class and it is difficult to achieve that status, it is possible.

5. University of Windsor offers an aeronautics program. I completed the program personally. It is a relatively new but good program, they have a fleet of Diamond aircraft to train on. I believe it is less expensive than Waterloo and Western’s program. I flew on my very first day as a student at uwindsor, which is a benefit over the other Uni programs where you do not begin flight training immediately. Windsor also has the best weather in Ontario, and arguably Canada.

6. Upon your graduation the industry should have returned to normal. There are some high paying jobs that aren’t major airlines. You don’t need to limit yourself to them immediately, although they will eventually lead to the highest paying positions.

My advice is whatever you do, enjoy the ride. Take advantage of what aviation has to offer, see come interesting stuff, fly some cool planes, meet some good people, make memories, the money will follow eventually.

I hope this helped, feel free to PM me if you have more questions. Ultimately there are plenty of options and it’s hard to say that one route is better than another, whatever fits you and your situation best is what you should pursue.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

I actually went to confed a couple years back..pm me. I have contacts there still.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

YJL wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:45 am Hi Folks,

I will be starting my grade 12 year and looking forward to an airline pilot career. I recently stumbled upon the aviation program at Confederation college by looking at forums on AV Canada and I want to know the following plz:

1. Does the tuition posted on the web include flight costs as I know that if i were to train somewhere else (waterloo, western) the total cost would be 100k+
2. I expect my grade 12 average to be in the low 90's so what are the chances that I will be admitted into the program

3. What are the chances of failing this program?

4. Whats the chance of being selected into the Jazz Aviation Pathway Program after graduating as I know that Confederation College is one of the participating colleges for Jazz Aviation

5. Are there any other universities or colleges that offer similar programs at the same cost?

6. What are the impacts of Covid-19 on the aviation market and my future employment?

+
I consider myself as hardworking and I am willing to fly in the north after graduating and how many years until i could be flying for the major airlines after the Covid-19 crisis as i don't come from a rich family.

Many thanks,

Daniel
Former confed attendee and proud graduate. dated a couple years as things have since changed during my time but ill give some insight.

1. The tuition cost is the tuition cost. That includes your flight training. youre practically training for free since the program is subsidized by the government. Confed owns their planes, western, u waterloo contract flight schools to do training, so you play those $30k flight costs per year type thing. If you're looking to SAVE money, confed. Dont worry about not getting the IFR and multi. that can be completed after graduation, or during a semester break if you really work hard, and it will take you the quarter amount of the time compared if you went to a university.

2. I dont know what 2020 intake will look like with covid, but youll be fine lol with low 90's....as long as everyone else doesnt have mid 90s i suppose lol. I didnt even make honours in grade 12 and got first offers of admission....that was with a 55% in grade 12 university math....not proud of it, but thats just to size you up. Idk if its biased or not, but if you take all uni course in grade 12 it might boost your application...90s in uni classes are different than 90's in coll level classes.

3. Tough to say because it totally depends on YOU! you wont fail out if you pass the classes and are working hard at your training. Some will fail simply because they have no background to aviation and theyre taking in so much new information they cant process it all. "Drinking through a firehose". some of the best advice i got was to take a ppl ground school course at a local flight school, prior to attending confed. itll give you the background knowledge and insight to helo make the classes easier. it is redundant but might help. You will fail if you slack, dont self study beyond what is assigned and show up late, unprepared for your flight lessons. In a way you have to meet all your flying goals on time, preferably the first try too. Essentially they dont have an infinite budget to keep bringing you up to pace.

4. dont worry about the jazz pathway program. I found it to be a big popularity contest...even at other schools, those who werent deserving more often than not were awarded it. besides, covid has really buggered up airlines, probably not gonna be hiring low time like that again for a while. focus on jobs up north, medevac, cargo.. etc. theyll always need that and your flying will be tailored to that environment!

5. none, not that i know of. Confed for me was the best deal. not to age myself, but i was there when they still had the floats and IFR.

6. Very hard to say. a lot of people in high positions making decisions as well as public trust. Could be soon, could be forever. I think it might take a year maybe less to get back to flying at feb 2020 capacity. but my guess is as good as the next guys. I dont make the decisions. Dont let it bring you down. there will always be threat of pandemic, economic failure, war, personal sickness. Ask yourself why you want to fly. if its better than "i want a cool instagram page and get girls" than youre probably in the right headspace.

once again, pm me. Im happy to talk by phone.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Rumour has it that 2020 intake at Confed got cancelled. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

Not a rumor, all Confed, Sault and Seneca are not doing a 2020 intake

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

Daniel, PM me, I’m a current student at Confed!

jsam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jsam »

172ReliefPilot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:49 pm I actually went to confed a couple years back..pm me. I have contacts there still.
I am hoping to apply for confed as well this year. Could you please share on the admission procedure? I have a university degree and a college diploma. Will they look in to both for acceptance? Any lead is greatly appreciated! :)

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

jsam wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:40 am
172ReliefPilot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:49 pm I actually went to confed a couple years back..pm me. I have contacts there still.
I am hoping to apply for confed as well this year. Could you please share on the admission procedure? I have a university degree and a college diploma. Will they look in to both for acceptance? Any lead is greatly appreciated! :)
Why do you want to go to Confed? You already have a degree.

jsam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jsam »

My dream is to be a pilot one day. I really want to get in to the next intake for Aviation and heard that confed aviation courses are highly sought after with a high cut off. I am kind of confused on whether it depends up on the academic history of the highest education that I have or just the grade 12 scores. I am 26 years old as of now!

Last edited by jsam on Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Cool that you want to be a pilot, but I think you should do more research on pros and cons. I’m not recommending that you don’t go to Confed (or any college), just that you make sure you get the info.

It’s a 2 year program but they’re chronically behind so it’s more like 3. Private school a motivated student can get done in a year. It may help with a first job because employers know that you’ve met a certain (high) standard, it won’t matter long run as you already have a degree. Price vs private school is about equal because you still need to get an instrument rating privately now. (They dropped the instrument rating last year.) You only get a bare CPL now. At a private school you can incorporate the instrument rating into your CPL training within 200 hrs. Lots to think about.

Greasy Greaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Greasy Greaser »

jsam wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:43 pm My dream is to be a pilot one day. I really want to get in to the next intake for Aviation and heard that confed aviation courses are highly sought after with a high cut off. I am kind of confused on whether it depends up on the academic history of the highest education that I have or just the grade 12 scores. I am 26 years old as of now!
Seriously consider a private (modular training) school over an aviation college.

Like Bede said, not knocking confed down but since you already have post secondary education, going to confed might not be that beneficial for you.
I did my training number of years ago and did everything under a year; ppl, cpl, group 1 Multi. Got a job pretty quick and was lucky to be flying soon after. Never did confed but you'd be doing two years minimum from the sounds of it while majority of people are getting jobs/experience while you're still in school.

The majors in Canada do not require degrees anymore for the most part, separate degrees apart from aviation generally go further anyway, i.e: Business/English degrees. But really they are mainly used if you want to head into corporate office at some point or having a good backup when Pandemic 2 hits us in the future.

Everything is about flying experience, want that Navajo co pilot job to start out? You're going to need 500 hours or ramp for a bit. King air FO? 500 hours or ramp. AC or WJ jet, 1500 (more like 3000 now tbh) hours and some two crew experience etc.
Get your training done ASAP, then start working towards getting a aviation job.

Lose != Loose
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

My nephew did 4 year degree then Confed. Degree required where he is looking for employment.

Expenses for 21 months at Confed were $36k (including rent). Qualified for OSAP grants and loans so net expenses were quite a bit less. Left with his Commercial/GRP3 IFR. Did his GRP1 multi-IFR after graduation. Additional $7500.

All in all, finished full training syllabus in perhaps 7-9 months later than fast track but saved tens of thousands due to subsidized flight training at Confed.

Note - Confed no longer offering GRP3 IFR so post graduation training expense for MULTI-IFR would be closer to $12,500

DensonJ13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DensonJ13 »

Hi there,

I'm actually enrolled in the 2022 semester as well. See you there!

Return to “Flight Training”