Any updates on training?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Any updates on training?

Post by kevenv »

ATC2B wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:54 pm
I wonder if there's a serious need to get people into training asap and not enough capacity to pull people from the beginning (ie time to have people come in and do FEAST) that might be why your FEAST score is now good for an interview when it wasn't before... just pure speculation

QM ACC did 2 weeks of FEAST testing recently. I was told that some days only 3 of the 10 that were scheduled actually showed up.
---------- ADS -----------

Anomander
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Anomander »

sk1996 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:34 pm
I did FEAST in early 2019 and was not contacted back for the bootcamp and recieved the following email:

Thank you for participating in the recent testing session. After review of testing results, you have not been selected to move on to the next stage of assessment at this time. Your file will remain active for six months from your testing date for further consideration. If after this time, you have not been selected for further assessment, your file will be deemed expired. Your reapplication date will be 18 months from the expired date.

But now I have also been contacted for an interview. I am curious if this means that I will have to do FEAST again if I pass the interview.
I wonder if there's a serious need to get people into training asap and not enough capacity to pull people from the beginning (ie time to have people come in and do FEAST) that might be why your FEAST score is now good for an interview when it wasn't before... just pure speculation
While I think there's a serious need to get trainees in the pipeline, it's unusual they would skip the bootcamp section and direct to interview unless if they axed it due to the ongoing pandemic or changed up the order hoping the pandemic will subside later on in the year. It's really up to sk1996 to decide whether their time is worth the gamble. I wonder if they've changed the application process again due to the pandemic.

Asking for clarification would probably shove him/her back to the bootcamp section if they decided his/her scores are now acceptable given the current candidate pool. If they go ahead and try to do the interview, they're gambling on the fact that navcanada is going to factor it as a sunk cost (time) and proceed with them anyways without having done the bootcamp.

NavCanada obviously would have data on the candidate and all the assessment results on hand when doing a final comparison of candidates for offers.

In my opinion... at best Nav take it as an administrative error on their end and reschedule the candidate for the next boot camp once the interviews are done (which may delay them a year or more depending on when these are done in thier area). And at worse they would not look upon the candidate favorably.

For me personally, this wouldn't be an acceptable scenario, as I'm at a point in my current career where I need to know the results ASAP. Another 4 years (3 +1 if I were in SK's shoes and fail) in and I would have to give serious consideration whether switching careers is the correct choice. Right now, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Aguaymanto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aguaymanto »

Anomander wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:13 am
sk1996 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:34 pm
I did FEAST in early 2019 and was not contacted back for the bootcamp and recieved the following email:

Thank you for participating in the recent testing session. After review of testing results, you have not been selected to move on to the next stage of assessment at this time. Your file will remain active for six months from your testing date for further consideration. If after this time, you have not been selected for further assessment, your file will be deemed expired. Your reapplication date will be 18 months from the expired date.

But now I have also been contacted for an interview. I am curious if this means that I will have to do FEAST again if I pass the interview.
While I think there's a serious need to get trainees in the pipeline, it's unusual they would skip the bootcamp section and direct to interview unless if they axed it due to the ongoing pandemic or changed up the order hoping the pandemic will subside later on in the year. It's really up to sk1996 to decide whether their time is worth the gamble. I wonder if they've changed the application process again due to the pandemic.

Asking for clarification would probably shove him/her back to the bootcamp section if they decided his/her scores are now acceptable given the current candidate pool. If they go ahead and try to do the interview, they're gambling on the fact that navcanada is going to factor it as a sunk cost (time) and proceed with them anyways without having done the bootcamp.

NavCanada obviously would have data on the candidate and all the assessment results on hand when doing a final comparison of candidates for offers.

In my opinion... at best Nav take it as an administrative error on their end and reschedule the candidate for the next boot camp once the interviews are done (which may delay them a year or more depending on when these are done in thier area). And at worse they would not look upon the candidate favorably.

For me personally, this wouldn't be an acceptable scenario, as I'm at a point in my current career where I need to know the results ASAP. Another 4 years (3 +1 if I were in SK's shoes and fail) in and I would have to give serious consideration whether switching careers is the correct choice. Right now, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Are you supposed to do the BootCamp before the interview? Because I was just recently invited for an interview and haven't completed the Bootcamp. Passed FEAST early 2020.

Anomander
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Anomander »

Aguaymanto wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:09 pm

Are you supposed to do the BootCamp before the interview? Because I was just recently invited for an interview and haven't completed the Bootcamp. Passed FEAST early 2020.
That's how it was with my intake back in 2018 and with several others forum members in 2019. The process may have very well changed due to COVID concerns still. I guess just roll with it as long as other people are reporting the same thing and congrats on getting another step forward :D .

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

Wondering if you'd mind sharing when you did the interview and if you were contacted back or if they told you any information about when they would be contacting you back?

Aguaymanto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aguaymanto »

sk1996 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:45 pm

Wondering if you'd mind sharing when you did the interview and if you were contacted back or if they told you any information about when they would be contacting you back?
Sorry, should've mentioned I haven't actually done the interview yet, it's not until eom. Will let you know what I can though!

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

Wont reveal much but the interview does not replace the boot camp completely. If you pass the interview stage there is another half day event at your local ACC, if you pass that you may get an offer.

From what I can tell, the start dates would be in the fall, but wasnt confirmed in my interview. I assume they will need a few weeks between interviews, half day boot camp, and the final offer for training.

Interviews for YYZ region ended last week, hopefully we can hear back soon.

Also - my status on Workday is also Interview, few weeks after I did my interview.

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

vultajolma wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:08 am Wont reveal much but the interview does not replace the boot camp completely. If you pass the interview stage there is another half day event at your local ACC, if you pass that you may get an offer.

From what I can tell, the start dates would be in the fall, but wasnt confirmed in my interview. I assume they will need a few weeks between interviews, half day boot camp, and the final offer for training.

Also - my status on Workday is also Interview, few weeks after I did my interview.

I’m in YYZ region and got my interview invite last week and is scheduled for next week. Strange.

Can I ask what the half day boot camp entailed? Or is that something you’re not allowed to talk about?

Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nekton »

I did the online panel interview for FSS in early January and one of my questions for them at the end was what would the next steps in the process be if I was successful at passing this stage. They said I would need to attend my regional FIC in person for a half day of further interview and assessment, some of which would/might involve a group exercise, but they couldn't be more specific. Since this is only for FSS and not ATC I don't know if it would be considered a 'bootcamp', but I did get the impression that it was more than just a simple interview. I know that probably doesn't provide much help, just sharing my experience for what it's worth.

In Feb. I got an email saying I had achieved the 'minimum pass mark and may be considered for further testing'. So again, the word testing for the next step vs just interview. Somewhat amusingly, the email also said that if I am not contacted I will be eligible to reapply 3 years after my initial application date, which was Sept. 2019. So if I haven't heard anything by this coming Sept. I can apply again, which I think I would.

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

sk1996 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:36 am
vultajolma wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:08 am Wont reveal much but the interview does not replace the boot camp completely. If you pass the interview stage there is another half day event at your local ACC, if you pass that you may get an offer.

I’m in YYZ region and got my interview invite last week and is scheduled for next week. Strange.

Can I ask what the half day boot camp entailed? Or is that something you’re not allowed to talk about?
Oh I guess they added more dates. Maybe like kev said not many people showed up for the original batch. When I first received my email, the time blocks lasted until last week.

I was not told anything about the bootcamp, pretty much identical to Nekton's statement, it would feature group and individual activities different from our FEAST testing.

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

vultajolma wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:37 pm
sk1996 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:36 am

Oh I guess they added more dates. Maybe like kev said not many people showed up for the original batch. When I first received my email, the time blocks lasted until last week.

I was not told anything about the bootcamp, pretty much identical to Nekton's statement, it would feature group and individual activities different from our FEAST testing.

Interesting. When I was signing up for my interview they went into late April. Please let me know if you hear anything.

I have no issues with waiting (already have waited 3 years) its just I don't want to pay money for certifcations and courses for my current career if I would stop halfway to switch into ATC training.

From what others have said though even if we are successful at every step of the way the earliest our training would start is likely after September 2022 so I'll probably do another semester of school regardless.

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

sk1996 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:05 pm
Interesting. When I was signing up for my interview they went into late April. Please let me know if you hear anything.

I have no issues with waiting (already have waited 3 years) its just I don't want to pay money for certifcations and courses for my current career if I would stop halfway to switch into ATC training.

From what others have said though even if we are successful at every step of the way the earliest our training would start is likely after September 2022 so I'll probably do another semester of school regardless.
I doubt we will hear anything until all the interviews are over, good to know we will have to wait until May, when I did my interview the HR rep told me I would hear back in early April, but seems like that has changed now.

Agreed on Sept/Oct 2022 start dates. Personally I am likely to decline, especially given the fact I would lose my mortgage due to the massive paycut and being on probation the whole time. I am sure I am not the only one who has landed a good job in the last two years during the training hiatus so I think its a good idea for NAVCAN to increase the number of interviews and testing periods.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

vultajolma wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:20 pm Personally I am likely to decline, especially given the fact I would lose my mortgage due to the massive paycut and being on probation the whole time.
Once you have a mortgage banks don't keep checking to see how much you make, calling in the mortgage if you have a change of circumstances. So long as you keep up the payments they don't care that you changed jobs or took a pay cut. Now come renewal you might have an issue....

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

vultajolma wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:20 pm

I doubt we will hear anything until all the interviews are over, good to know we will have to wait until May, when I did my interview the HR rep told me I would hear back in early April, but seems like that has changed now.

Agreed on Sept/Oct 2022 start dates. Personally I am likely to decline, especially given the fact I would lose my mortgage due to the massive paycut and being on probation the whole time. I am sure I am not the only one who has landed a good job in the last two years during the training hiatus so I think its a good idea for NAVCAN to increase the number of interviews and testing periods.

Just so you know you won't lose your mortgage as long as you keep up your payments. Now the feasibility of that with a pay cut is a different issue.

I'm juggling the decision right now, I genuinley think this is a job that I would enjoy compared to what I am doing now/will be doing in the future. I'm willing to take a pay cut for that. I also don't really care about the money. It's more so just feeling as though I am actually doing something worthwhile.

atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

I just received an invite to an in-person test which I was super excited about - until I saw that it's next week. Unfortunately, I don't think I can attend unless I take a day off of work but we're super busy at the moment, and even if I did the stress of this busy period would probably hamper my performance. :(

I was hoping to get some clarification if anyone is more familiar:
1) Is it reasonable to assume that because in my email they said something along the lines of "we had a few extra spots so we decided to invite you" on such short notice, it would mean that I was probably below the online test cut-off for the "normal" invites, and they just happened to invite me as well since they had extra space? If I don't take it, do you think that there is a low chance I will get invited later on as well because this time it just seems that I was lucky to not have others who scored better than me attend?
2) Does anyone know when the next set of these in-person tests (specifically YYZ) would be, and if these in-person tests run on Saturdays/Sundays or only on weekdays?

naribari
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naribari »

kevenv wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:44 am

QM ACC did 2 weeks of FEAST testing recently. I was told that some days only 3 of the 10 that were scheduled actually showed up.
This was my experience during my FEAST test as well. Not only that, everyone other than me seemed to be over the age of 30 meaning they were probably applying for FSS anyway.

naribari
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naribari »

vultajolma wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:20 pm

I applied legitimately 3 years ago and my salary is creeping into the range at which ATC is no longer a financially correct path. The beauty of ATC is in part that it's a career for those who are bright but failed to get an engineering degree. Those people usually eventually find success elsewhere but ATC certainly speeds up the process. The longer they make us wait, the more candidates they are going to lose out on. Must be really stressful being HR at NAVCAN trying to catch up 2 years worth of work PLUS the previous shortage.

M1bmx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M1bmx »

atcguy98 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:44 pm I just received an invite to an in-person test which I was super excited about - until I saw that it's next week. Unfortunately, I don't think I can attend unless I take a day off of work but we're super busy at the moment, and even if I did the stress of this busy period would probably hamper my performance. :(

1) Is it reasonable to assume that because in my email they said something along the lines of "we had a few extra spots so we decided to invite you" on such short notice, it would mean that I was probably below the online test cut-off for the "normal" invites, and they just happened to invite me as well since they had extra space? If I don't take it, do you think that there is a low chance I will get invited later on as well because this time it just seems that I was lucky to not have others who scored better than me attend?
2) Does anyone know when the next set of these in-person tests (specifically YYZ) would be, and if these in-person tests run on Saturdays/Sundays or only on weekdays?
1. That's probably a good assumption. When I did my test I was told they were doing a lot of hiring this year, plus they may be having an issue with no-shows, so they've expanded eligibility.
I have no idea if you'll get invited later but, if I were you, I would see it as an opportunity and take it.
2. At the FIR I applied to, they have two intakes per year. I would assume this means they only test twice per year. When I signed up I didn't see any weekend testing.

naribari
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naribari »

atcguy98 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:44 pm I just received an invite to an in-person test which I was super excited about - until I saw that it's next week. Unfortunately, I don't think I can attend unless I take a day off of work but we're super busy at the moment, and even if I did the stress of this busy period would probably hamper my performance. :(

I previously missed a YUL test and it took them 6 months to reschedule. Another concern is whether you'll be able to make it the next time too.
Some of the days offered WERE weekends.

Last edited by naribari on Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

M1bmx wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:02 pm

1. That's probably a good assumption. When I did my test I was told they were doing a lot of hiring this year, plus they may be having an issue with no-shows, so they've expanded eligibility.
I have no idea if you'll get invited later but, if I were you, I would see it as an opportunity and take it.
2. At the FIR I applied to, they have two intakes per year. I would assume this means they only test twice per year. When I signed up I didn't see any weekend testing.
Thanks, seeing that answer to 1) really sucks considering that I can't really take the opportunity, but I appreciate you confirming my suspicion. I may try to get out of work on one of the 2 days which were available but it's not looking like that will be possible.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”