Any updates on training?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

guanin2999
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Any updates on training?

Post by guanin2999 »

atcguy98 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:28 am
So you've gone through the entire process already and are getting the interview now? I'm still waiting on an in-person test invite at YYZ since doing the online test, I think that's what they mean by 2022 or 2023, us brand new hires.
Yeah, they left me hanging back in Apr 2020. I passed the in-person aptitude tests and was waiting for an interview slot.
---------- ADS -----------

737max
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 737max »

guanin2999 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:46 pm Yeah, they left me hanging back in Apr 2020. I passed the in-person aptitude tests and was waiting for an interview slot.
I am in the same position that you were, I did the in person test in YYZ in February 2020, was told I passed, then heard nothing. Your post gives me hope!

Teenth
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Teenth »

737max wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:51 pm
guanin2999 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:46 pm Yeah, they left me hanging back in Apr 2020. I passed the in-person aptitude tests and was waiting for an interview slot.
I am in the same position that you were, I did the in person test in YYZ in February 2020, was told I passed, then heard nothing. Your post gives me hope!
Add me to the list! Passed Apr 2020 in YYZ. Interview pending..

atcthrowawayyy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcthrowawayyy »

Just to temper the expectations, especially for people in Toronto, Toronto FIR appears to be somewhat behind a few FIRs in resuming training.

Still there are a lot of trainees (all generic IFR trainees, and some specialty + OJT trainees) who are yet to be recalled. This was true as of last week, not sure if that's changed since then. Once that recall list is clear, people still in recruitment can expect to hear about next steps.

Logically, that is how it should be. But who knows?! I don't have access to internal nav canada information.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

JUST GOT VFR OFFER FOR APRIL IN YEG!!!!!!!!!

super nervous as the pandemic has really thrown a wrench in our finances, but i'll be damned if I don't make this work, finally the dream shot!!

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

outflying8 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:42 pm JUST GOT VFR OFFER FOR APRIL IN YEG!!!!!!!!!

super nervous as the pandemic has really thrown a wrench in our finances, but i'll be damned if I don't make this work, finally the dream shot!!
Congrats! I remember the excitement of receiving my VFR offer years ago. Get ready for one or two of the busiest years of your life!

TheGooseIsLoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheGooseIsLoose »

Generic IFR offers have gone out in the YVR region.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:00 pm
outflying8 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:42 pm JUST GOT VFR OFFER FOR APRIL IN YEG!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! I remember the excitement of receiving my VFR offer years ago. Get ready for one or two of the busiest years of your life!
Thank you! beyond excited!!!

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
aircanada333
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aircanada333 »

TheGooseIsLoose wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:24 pm Generic IFR offers have gone out in the YVR region.
Is this for new hires? or generic trainees being recalled?

atcthrowawayyy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcthrowawayyy »

aircanada333 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:51 am
TheGooseIsLoose wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:24 pm Generic IFR offers have gone out in the YVR region.
Is this for new hires? or generic trainees being recalled?
Recalls.

However, the post directly above indicates that even new hire people in YEG are getting called.

There is lots of inconsistency across different FIRs.

For example: Toronto FIR hasn't even recalled all specialty and OJT trainees, Moncton and Vancouver have now recalled generic trainees, and then Edmonton has offered a seat to people who were eligible for, but never actually a NAV employee pre-covid.

NAV Canada recruitment is extremely vague in their responses when you contact them (sometimes, they won't even read your email and send a generic response), and add the inconsistency to the mix and now you have a company who really doesn't know how to treat the people who committed so much time to the company and even paused life decisions while training.

It is not the management's fault that covid happened, it is not their fault that the not-for-profit structure made it difficult to handle tough times, but the least they could've done is handle this better.

controllercrazy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by controllercrazy »

atcthrowawayyy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:39 am
NAV Canada recruitment is extremely vague in their responses when you contact them (sometimes, they won't even read your email and send a generic response), and add the inconsistency to the mix and now you have a company who really doesn't know how to treat the people who committed so much time to the company and even paused life decisions while training.

It is not the management's fault that covid happened, it is not their fault that the not-for-profit structure made it difficult to handle tough times, but the least they could've done is handle this better.
I don’t understand why some applicants feel like NAV owes anyone an explanation as to how they run their recruiting. I’ve applied to many jobs in the past and many don’t even bother letting you know if you failed to make it onto the next step, so the fact NAV communicates (even with vague answers) is already very kind. It has, and always will be, a waiting game and a test of patience. If you don’t feel that the company is treating you - as an applicant - well, why would you want to work for a company like that? Until you’re a licensed controller, the company owes you nothing. As we’ve seen recently, even employees (trainees) could be laid off.

And unless we go back to the centralized training model with trainees being sent all over the country after generic training, there won’t be consistency in how people are getting called. I think you fail to understand that different FIRs have different needs. NAV definitely could’ve handled the pandemic better in many ways, but pausing recruitment was not a mistake. The only mistake was pausing training for too long without much regard for needs and training capacity down the line.

shortbreads
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shortbreads »

I received an invite yesterday for an enroute IFR course in YEG starting March. Woohoo!

I was previously supposed to start a course there in 2020, but that course was canceled before it began.

Itsboogietime
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Itsboogietime »

Has anyone heard of a trainee that wasn't recalled while others in their class were?

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

FSS invites for YEG, March 2022 are going out. (I politely declined mine today)

Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nekton »

Well that is good news, thanks for the update, I did not expect FSS to begin so soon. I am in YWG FIR so haven't heard anything yet but my profile still indicates 'interview' so I'm hopeful I may receive an offer.

Why did you decline, if you don't mind me asking? Job security concerns, life changes, no longer interested, not what you were aiming for? I've been wondering about the security of the job to be honest. This pandemic has shaken up many industries. I think I'd still accept an offer though.

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

Nekton wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:09 pm Why did you decline, if you don't mind me asking? Job security concerns, life changes, no longer interested, not what you were aiming for? I've been wondering about the security of the job to be honest. This pandemic has shaken up many industries. I think I'd still accept an offer though.
Fair questions - I declined because of a) life changes (mostly) and b) potential locations of FSS stations being appropriate for my family (which links to a). My preference from the get-go was IFR, but I would accept a VFR offer as well. I don't think I can comment on the security of the job, but can say the aviation industry is certainly volatile.

Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nekton »

Thanks, I had similar aspirations/concerns but ultimately figure I can make it work if I get the offer, so just a waiting game at this point. Good luck with whatever comes your way.

Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nekton »

Well, I may get to make the decision soon, just got an invite to interview in the new year. I have found some good tips on interviewing with Nav Canada on this forum but if anyone has any more, and specifically for FSS, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Lukeysboat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lukeysboat »

Does anyone have any updates on YQX training? On my workday page I current have “interview” status on one application and “assessment” on another. My interview was supposed to take place in March 2020, so I’m assuming they will probably be rescheduling this set of interviews to March 2022. Haven’t heard anything yet though.

tysto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tysto »

Nekton wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:26 am Well, I may get to make the decision soon, just got an invite to interview in the new year. I have found some good tips on interviewing with Nav Canada on this forum but if anyone has any more, and specifically for FSS, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Hey so you obviously passed the test? Mind if i ask you a few questions about them? I am really hoping for an invite in the next few months and the tests have me low key worried haha.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”