Foreign license to Canadian license

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

alezacc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Foreign license to Canadian license

Post by alezacc »

Hello guys!

I have been a helicopter pilot in Brazil for about 8 years and I am studying moving to Canada together with my wife and daughter. In fact, I am studying the immigration process to Canada (the Permanent Residency).

So, I would like to know if you could guide me on the steps to validate my Brazilian pilot license for the Canadian license and, from there, be able to enter the job market. I own the ATP-L here in Brazil, having flown the following aircraft over the years of my career: Robinson R22, R44 and R66; Airbus AS350 and EC130; and Agusta A109E Power (IFR flights).

Also, can you tell me how is the helicopter market in Canada? Is there any job offer? Off-shore? Medical services? Utility? Corporate? How is the market going?

Thank you very much to all captains !!
Kind regards,
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Foreign license to Canadian license

Post by Heliian »

For license conversion, talk to Transport Canada, Aviation.

The current market here is pretty slow due to the pandemic. We just don't use helicopters here as much as Brazil either. It may be a difficult task to emigrate right now with the job market slow all around.

There is no shortage of pilots right now.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

+1 for everything Heliian said!

The other thing to consider is companies here may want you to convert your license before they even take a hard look at your resume, could be alot of expense for a roll of the dice.

Best of luck!

alezacc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alezacc »

Heliian wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:21 am For license conversion, talk to Transport Canada, Aviation.

The current market here is pretty slow due to the pandemic. We just don't use helicopters here as much as Brazil either. It may be a difficult task to emigrate right now with the job market slow all around.

There is no shortage of pilots right now.
Thanks for your feedback, Capt!!

alezacc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alezacc »

MOAB wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:02 am +1 for everything Heliian said!

The other thing to consider is companies here may want you to convert your license before they even take a hard look at your resume, could be alot of expense for a roll of the dice.

Best of luck!
Thanks, Capt.
Indeed, all the job offers I've seen requested the TC License - I was expecting that.
I'll look for the immigration process at first and after that I'll check the license conversion.
It seems that the immigration process is gonna be the problem.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

You would most likely need to convert to a Commercial Pilot Licence- Helicopter first. After you have a Commercial Pilot Licence- Helicopter you can try to qualify for the Airline Transport Pilot Licence- Helicopter.

Look at Standard 421.31 and 421.35 for the requirements.

For type ratings, take a look at Standard 421.40 and for Instrument Ratings, 421.46.

In reading any of these Standards, you will want to look closely at any paragraphs labeled "Credits for Foreign Applicants".

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/transport-canad ... d-421.html

Immigration requirements can be found on www.cic.gc.ca

Good Luck.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
alezacc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alezacc »

Panama Jack wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:52 am You would most likely need to convert to a Commercial Pilot Licence- Helicopter first. After you have a Commercial Pilot Licence- Helicopter you can try to qualify for the Airline Transport Pilot Licence- Helicopter.

For type ratings, take a look at Standard 421.40 and for Instrument Ratings, 421.46.

In reading any of these Standards, you will want to look closely at any paragraphs labeled "Credits for Foreign Applicants".

Good Luck.
Thank you.

Stratocrasto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Foreign license to Canadian license (WITHOUT CURRENT FAA FLIGHT REVIEW)

Post by Stratocrasto »

Hello Fellow Aviators,
My last FAA flight test was completed in December 2018.

I wanted to know if I want to convert my FAA CPL to a Canadian one, do I need to have a Faa Biennial Flight review completed?

Or can I issue my Canadian Cpl by just writing the exam and doing the paperwork with Transport Canada?

My second question is about Instrument rating
-I understand that for the process of issuing Instrument Rating on Canadian Cpl I need to give a written test and have a Faa IPC completed as well.

So all in all I want to clarify a doubt I had,

Can I complete an IPC on a Sim (PI1000 ELITE SIMULATOR AATD) at my old Flight school in Miami
+
Give the written exams (CPL conversion (FAACA) and IFR conversion (FAAIA) written examination)
And have my Canadian Cpl?
(Without being current on the Airplane (i.e without having given a flight review on the Airplane in the USA?)

S-UAF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by S-UAF »

alezacc wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:19 pm
Panama Jack wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:52 am You would most likely need to convert to a Commercial Pilot Licence- Helicopter first. After you have a Commercial Pilot Licence- Helicopter you can try to qualify for the Airline Transport Pilot Licence- Helicopter.

Good Luck.
Thank you.
Hey alezacc

Im also busy with the license and immigration process, do you have an update on your situation, any progress made?

Cheers

Return to “Helicopter Forum”