Starting out with competitive aerobatics

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

foxonefoxone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Starting out with competitive aerobatics

Post by foxonefoxone »

Hi guys

Was looking to start training towards competition aerobatics - initially just the primary/sportsman for now. My question is - how important is it to have your own airplane as an aerobatic pilot. I know schools provide training on their types however, how would it work going to competitions etc?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Starting out with competitive aerobatics

Post by digits_ »

That is something to discuss with the school. Every school will have a different policy about that. If you do aerobatic training with them, they will probably be more open to it. Where do you live?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
foxonefoxone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by foxonefoxone »

digits_ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:05 am That is something to discuss with the school. Every school will have a different policy about that. If you do aerobatic training with them, they will probably be more open to it. Where do you live?
Brandon.

My concern would be primarily arranging an airplane for the competition, as I dont have intentions to own one in the near future.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

foxonefoxone wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:54 am
digits_ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:05 am That is something to discuss with the school. Every school will have a different policy about that. If you do aerobatic training with them, they will probably be more open to it. Where do you live?
Brandon.

My concern would be primarily arranging an airplane for the competition, as I dont have intentions to own one in the near future.
You can try to contact Harvs Air, they are pretty heavy into the aerobatic scene, but your best bet would be to buy your own. It will be cheaper in the long run. You can probably pick something experimental up for 30k CAD

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

I would imagine you're going to have to travel fairly far from Brandon to get to a contest. Factor that into the cost. Probably the nearest competitions to you will be in Western Alberta. You could certainly practice competition aerobatics as well without having to actually go to a contest.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

In recent years there have been contests held in Ontario and Alberta. Canadians also travelled to contests in the US pre COVID.
Some schools may do aerobatics training but the aircraft may not be insured for competition flying. If you decide to buy your own plane check carefully into insurance. It has gotten a bit more difficult and expensive in recent years. Some underwriters have been requiring quite a bit of time on type to cover for contests. If you plan on competing in the US that also has be included in your insurance.
For contests under IAC rules you would also need a parachute with a current pack (180 days) but if you get to know people you may be able to borrow, at least to begin with.

foxonefoxone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by foxonefoxone »

Thanks all for the great advice. I will probably start out by renting , and as I spend more time , will start looking into options of buying.

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”