Encore Recalls

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Encore Recalls

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

lostaviator wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:03 pm
pacman007 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:04 pm Don’t cause too much of a stink....can the PTA be cancelled?
Not can, but when?

At least we got to test the language before too much time with it had passed. I think we all know its worth now and who benefits.
I’m sorry that the PTA does not benefit you the way you want. For everyone else, we have enjoyed the couple of months of PTA and then the mainline guys enjoyed the bump down protection offered by it.

Should it be revisited? Absolutely!

Is it urgent? No.
---------- ADS -----------

Bil Derberg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bil Derberg »

Any updates for 2021 on potential recalls guys?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Bil Derberg wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:40 pm Any updates for 2021 on potential recalls guys?
You should go to the WestJet thread where more layoffs are being discussed, recalls in 2021 are very unlikely at this point, in my opinion.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

There are mandated recalls at Encore stipulated in their MOA. Currently 50 pilots are being recalled.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

George Taylor wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:44 am There are mandated recalls at Encore stipulated in their MOA. Currently 50 pilots are being recalled.
To be clear, it’s 50 positions to be recalled or added. With 415 receiving layoff emails yesterday, and many bumping down to Encore, it’s unlikely there will be actual recalls.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Blue42 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:22 am
George Taylor wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:44 am There are mandated recalls at Encore stipulated in their MOA. Currently 50 pilots are being recalled.
To be clear, it’s 50 positions to be recalled or added. With 415 receiving layoff emails yesterday, and many bumping down to Encore, it’s unlikely there will be actual recalls.
How many active and inactive pilots are left at WS?

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

They have just updated the recall, it’s now 224 pilots, this does not include the WJ pilots bumping into Encore. I have no idea how this is going to workout.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

George Taylor wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:41 pm They have just updated the recall, it’s now 224 pilots, this does not include the WJ pilots bumping into Encore. I have no idea how this is going to workout.
How many does that leave on layoff now?

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

Last edited by Maxpwr on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

Umm, I'm not entirely sure that is correct. This recall happened after the reduction bid was finalized. As I said, I'm not sure how this will pan out in the end, but by Westjet (Encore) conducting a recall right after the reduction bid, left many mainline pilots unemployed. Very dirty tactics, but I know its just business.
There are approx. 190 mainline pilots bumping into Encore. There are approx 340 Encore pilots on layoff. There is a current recall of 224 pilots to Encore, announced after the reduction bid.
Let the games begin.

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

When I first read about the 224 recalls last night I have to say; I got really excited. But as I thought more and more about it, the cynical or in this case realistic side of my brain started ticking. Why would they change the recall number at this time? Why 224 ( the exact number of pilots bumping into encore). And my only conclusion is that this means the company is not planning to reconcile a new MOA on the wj side and are infact planning to layoff the 415 wj pilots. And are using these 224 recalls for 2 purposes.
1. To "recall" all the pilots currently at encore that would have been laid off. Doing this to ensure continuity and training standards for the inevitable bump downs.
2. And two, which is I think the most underhanded. By "recalling" all the current encore pilots that face layoff they actually meet the reqs of our MOA3 and now will not have to recall any encore pilots that are actually currently on leave.
So they effectively just layed off a bunch of encore pilots and now plan to just rehire them immediately in order to not have to make any real recalls.

Anyways, I've been on layoff for too long and have to much time to think about these things. On the flip side, perhaps WJ will mitigate the layoff with a new MOA and perhaps all encore pilots are about to return to work april 1st.. I sure hope so!

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Long story short, likely scenario is that WJAMEC gets an MOA with lay-off mitigation and WEN recalls 50 furloughed pilots.

Other scenario is that WJAMEC fails to secure lay-off mitigation and 224 pilots bump down into WEN. The company will increase the pilots on site by 224 and no (or very few) Encorians will be bumped out.

Either way, this is good news as we now know that the company has no intention on laying any pilots off.

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

I think any amount of good news is a welcome sight. But a little perspective is needed, I think its welcome news for our active encore pilots on the line to know they will not be going anywhere in either outcome (and thank god for that, we need you guys where you are). But it's not good news for the laid off encoreians hoping for recall, and it's not good news for the westjet folks that will likly be loosing their current positions.

Also, another thought. If the bumpdowns do in fact happen into encore will that not mean that the encore pliot base will be insanely over staffed? 224 new westjet pilots plus the I dunno 300-400 pilots there currently?
Obviously it goes without saying if this happens, more layoffs will inevitably come to encore as soon as MOA protection is gone.

I think this next month will be very telling to the recall expectations for 2021

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:56 pm
Either way, this is good news as we now know that the company has no intention on laying any pilots off.
Anyone with their head on straight realized this 6+ months ago (at both WJ and AC).

throwaway123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwaway123 »

George Taylor wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:17 am Umm, I'm not entirely sure that is correct. This recall happened after the reduction bid was finalized. As I said, I'm not sure how this will pan out in the end, but by Westjet (Encore) conducting a recall right after the reduction bid, left many mainline pilots unemployed. Very dirty tactics, but I know its just business.
There are approx. 190 mainline pilots bumping into Encore. There are approx 340 Encore pilots on layoff. There is a current recall of 224 pilots to Encore, announced after the reduction bid.
Let the games begin.
I'm really trying to understand how any of this makes financial sense? The bump down and inevitable reinstatement rights to ML positions has to cost a fortune in training costs.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

throwaway123 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:27 pm
George Taylor wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:17 am Umm, I'm not entirely sure that is correct. This recall happened after the reduction bid was finalized. As I said, I'm not sure how this will pan out in the end, but by Westjet (Encore) conducting a recall right after the reduction bid, left many mainline pilots unemployed. Very dirty tactics, but I know its just business.
Let the games begin.
I'm really trying to understand how any of this makes financial sense? The bump down and inevitable reinstatement rights to ML positions has to cost a fortune in training costs.
They likely won't train the 737 drivers on the Q. Since these pilots are entitled to bump down, it's cheaper to lay them off and let them bump down into Encore to be paid as an Encore pilot (even without flying) than it is to pay them 737 pay without flying.

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

Last edited by Maxpwr on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

throwaway123 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:27 pm
Let the games begin.
Will it though?? You have a ton of pilots sitting around doing nothing at min pay, the only cost is going to be power to the sim....

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

Last edited by Maxpwr on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

I think the math of of 190 bump downs with 224 recalls is most correct. This equates to approximately 34 actual recalls.
However, there is a good chance that mainline makes a mitigation deal, and there will be substantially different numbers published.
This information could still be a few weeks away.
The bid results are released tmrw, but its not effective till April 1.
Similar to AC, a deal of this nature could go down to the wire.
I think there is also stock in the fact that government is pushing for airline recovery soon.

Return to “WestJet Encore”