Encore Recalls

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Encore Recalls

Post by Maxpwr »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Maxpwr on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

Maxpwr wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:31 pm It costs SFA to train even a full initial. A Few ground sessions followed by the only “real” cost being 6 sims + ride. Day 1 to PPC in less than a month.
This is probably true. But it’s the time it takes for 200 + pilots that’s the issue. With 1 sim how many can they possibly push through in a month? 40?maybe 50 pilots? So by the time
You train everyone recalls will be happening. And I think you guys have the option to go to swoop do
You not? So any swoop recalls will be WestJet pilots from encore also. You can correct me
If I’m wrong but I think that’s how it will work for you guys.

DirtyDashDriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DirtyDashDriver »

But it’s the time it takes for 200 + pilots that’s the issue. With 1 sim how many can they possibly push through in a month? 40?maybe 50 pilots?
To be clear, sim time is not what will cause the delay in training for anyone bumping down from mainline to Encore, it is the lack of flying. Let's say only 150 pilots require line indoctrination and consolidation, that'll be somewhere between 7,500 and 22,500 hours depending on which scale the pilots can be consolidated under. I have no clue how many hours Encore is flying in a month, but I doubt it's anywhere near those numbers. That means that some, if not most, will go through multiple rounds of line indoc until they're consolidated.

It makes no sense for Encore to go ahead and train all the bump downs quickly because they'll just end up sitting in line indoc purgatory. My guess is that quite a few of those bump downs will be sitting at home earning the minimum MMG waiting for the backlog to clear. By the time is all said and done, it'll be no less than 8 months to a year before everyone is trained assuming everything goes tickity boo.

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

So what will all the bump down pilots do? Sit at home and not get trained?

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

pacman007 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:21 pm So what will all the bump down pilots do? Sit at home and not get trained?
PTA promises them a job at Encore... it doesn’t promise an expedient training.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:34 pm
pacman007 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:21 pm So what will all the bump down pilots do? Sit at home and not get trained?
Far far far cheaper to have them sitting at home doing nothing at any Encore wage than what they would be making on a reduced block had MOA4 passed.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:34 pm
Some are already scheduled to be trained in April, many will not though...

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Have we heard any updates on more recalls?

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:04 am Have we heard any updates on more recalls?
Havnt herd anything on the encore side of things, as of the most recent WJ bump downs, encore has all the pilots they need (and then some) what we really need to see is recalls at westjet so that we can free up some seats at encore for recalls. I think encore is actually staffing almost as many active pilots now as they were in 2019 (just all the seats being occupied by mainliners) Likly wont hear anything new until current MOA ends.

But some good news tho, sounds like some recalls are being planned at jazz for like 150 pilots and potentially alot more come fall. And if jazz is doing that, I assume we will see encore doing the same. Just no word on it yet

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

What happens when the current MOA ends? Is it the same as WestJet? More layoffs if they snap back?

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

pacman007 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:24 pm What happens when the current MOA ends? Is it the same as WestJet? More layoffs if they snap back?
Well current MOA for encore ends in june, So we will just have to wait and see what the outlook is at that time and what kind of bargaining goes on between the company and union. Two possible outcomes that I see

One; with encore being so overstaffed, the company may choose to end MOA protections and at that time could lay off more encore pilots and train more of the bumpdowns that came from WJ.

Or two; with a better out look on the horizon and with new government spending programs that help cover the cost of rehiring staff and the extension of CEWS, the company/union may come to a favorable new MOA4 agreement with conditions in it for recalls. We will just have to wait and see, I'm optimistic

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Check your email and have a wonderful day!

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 pm Check your email and have a wonderful day!
125 Recalls by July 1

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

shawnthesheep wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:12 pm
notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 pm Check your email and have a wonderful day!
125 Recalls by July 1
Safe to assume those spots will all be filled with mainline pilots?
Given the recent round of 400 layoffs and the fact most of them had a fair amount of seniority.

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:05 pm
125 Recalls by July 1
Given the recent round of 400 layoffs and the fact most of them had a fair amount of seniority.
Sounds like this is all new guys. This isn't a reduction bid. It's gonna be all laid off guys

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Look like the ‘training’ purgatory of 55MMG is gone also for the bump down pilots. They will earn whatever the monthly blocking window is.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

shawnthesheep wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:14 pm

125 Recalls by July 1
Sounds like this is all new guys. This isn't a reduction bid. It's gonna be all laid off guys
That is correct. Even though there’s going to be outrage and maybe a grievance filed by the WJAMEC, the only people eligible for this recall are pilots who were furloughed from Encore. If a WJA or WSW pilot did not bump into Encore, they’re not considered being furloughed from Encore.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:47 pm
shawnthesheep wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:14 pm

That is correct. Even though there’s going to be outrage and maybe a grievance filed by the WJAMEC, the only people eligible for this recall are pilots who were furloughed from Encore. If a WJA or WSW pilot did not bump into Encore, they’re not considered being furloughed from Encore.
Short term gain for long term pain.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Who's feeling the pain?

Zanzibar
Rank 1
Rank 1