Is this The End of the Pilot Career

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is this The End of the Pilot Career

Post by WANP »

photofly wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:11 pm
Bede wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:00 pm
WANP wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:18 am The days of single pilot planes is probably closer, than some want to admit.
A pilot should be able to read their own airspeed, raise and lower the flaps and gear on their own. Just like private pilots do all the time.
I don't think that you understand what pilots do in a 2 crew environment.
Don't worry - a computer can be programmed to simulate bitching about pay and conditions to an adequate standard.

And hit on flight attendants who are out of their league 😁
---------- ADS -----------

Whitney
ICUP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ICUP »

Single pilot airliners are definitely coming. It will take time. The infrastructure to support a single pilot fleet will probably be massive and prone to looooong regulatory requirements. Just imagine massive airlines like American or Ryanair retrofitting their own ops system to a single pilot fleet. It’s feasible but it will take time.

I can’t imagine ‘drone’ airliners coming soon. There are too many factors other than flying the thing that a computer or a remote pilot can effectively deal with. Imagine this scenario:

A Boeing 797 ‘Droneliner’ just landed out of base after a successful pilotless 11 hours flight. During the boarding for the return flight, the automatic fuel truck supervisor (a human supervisor is still required in that country) notices a little dent on the trailing edge. He immediately reports it to the computer on board, but there’s no telemetry about the dent. The remote pilot cannot just hop down the stairs and check for that dent… flight is cancelled and an engineer is flown to check the dent. He deems the aircraft airworthy, and the airline losses $$$.

What I’m trying to say is that single pilot or even pilotless ops are not out of the picture, but the amount of procedural changes in a global scale will probably require years, even decades.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ICUP wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:40 am
A Boeing 797 ‘Droneliner’ just landed out of base after a successful pilotless 11 hours flight. During the boarding for the return flight, the automatic fuel truck supervisor (a human supervisor is still required in that country) notices a little dent on the trailing edge. He immediately reports it to the computer on board, but there’s no telemetry about the dent. The remote pilot cannot just hop down the stairs and check for that dent… flight is cancelled and an engineer is flown to check the dent. He deems the aircraft airworthy, and the airline losses $$$.

What I’m trying to say is that single pilot or even pilotless ops are not out of the picture, but the amount of procedural changes in a global scale will probably require years, even decades.
Not sure that the inability for a computer to cut corners is necessarily a bad thing :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Comments”