Swoop alum

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Swoop alum

Post by jjj »

stabilizer wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:46 pm
Years ago my wife and I have decided to go back to a more simple life (after a tragic event in our family). We sold the big house and lots of stuff we weren’t really using, then we moved into a small condo living an extremely minimalist lifestyle (fed up with the overconsumption!). Great decision; we love it. We are now working on the idea of living in a van fulltime (we have no kids). It’s not a matter of being financially broke, it’s a feeling of being free from stress. I totally understand their motivation. Most of our friends and family members don’t understand our lifestyle and some think that’s because we are struggling financially which is not normal for a pilot. Our house income is 320k/year, condo paid, 7 figures in a portfolio that gives in return more than our living costs, but we are driving an old car and about to live in a van (near an airport).
Two questions for you FL320

1 --- Did you contacted a media outlet to publicise your alternative lifestyle choices, while posing for pictures in your airline uniform?

2 --- Were you a Scab at Swoop during the ALPA hiring ban?

I suspect you did neither.

Tbaylx on the other hand, did both. This story is not about living in a van. This is about an individual who has made countless decisions throughout his career that have negatively impacted our profession. He does not deserve "a break". He paid for the privilege to fly a clapped out MD83 for peanuts, jumped ship from multiple bottom feeder companies chasing a low paying left seat job, purposely ignored a very public union declaration of a hiring ban.....and now poses for some silly vanlife story in his airline uniform, a symbol of our professional livelihoods. The man is a disgrace to the industry.
Most don’t give a crap about Tbalyx living in a Van. They’re pissed at the man and busting his chops now in every which way.

Lest we forget that Tbalyx going to SWOOP was debated on this very forum. Several people pleaded with him over several days to reconsider the move.

Whilst no picket lines were crossed - the potential damage was outlined to him in advance.

Tbalyx was afforded every courtesy and sound arguments prior to going to SWOOP. After he ignored the words of caution the gloves came off.

Tbalyx pissed in a lot of peoples corn flakes and they haven’t forgotten.

Go back and do some reading on this forum. He was warned.
---------- ADS -----------

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

Perspective. I get the angst, it’s a natural emotion. To be objective however, wasn’t Swoop created to “close the back door” against the likes of the very company “tbaylx” is the Chief Pilot of? As a group, you’ve embarrassingly proven yourselves utterly powerless and impotent to thwart any commercial whims your management deems necessary, so I understand the hostile emotions towards him....low hanging fruit, easy to pick on. Anonymity is king.

As a founding father in Class 1, wasn’t Swoop’s current Manager of Training and Standards also “warned” not to embark on this fools errand? What of the hidden putrid and festering resentment towards THIS gentleman that you so lavishly bathe on tbaylx? The very epitome of what you detest so loathingly, is in Swoops’s management team, yet not a whiff of a chirp.

I suspect Canadian aviation is watching a slow train wreck of Team Teal. Collectively, for most of us, our personal and professional situations have changed from 12 months ago when we were on a high, so the prevalence of the biting remarks and misdirection of your agony is somewhat expected.

“He was warned”. Get over yourself bud, and chill. If not for tbaylx, the plethora of mainline pilots I hear choking on their new “Swoop” callsign would be unemployed, or downgraded. Seriously, your tone on the frequency is depressing to hear, but, you all should be grateful and buy that man a pint. Your pathetic tantrums can neither change nor alter market forces and demand. It’s why you now have a Swoop to bump down into, and grudgingly dismount your high horse to remain employed......and why you’ll have a Swoop to “not make the back door quite as open” when the rebound begins in earnest. Perspective. You’re too close to the flame. Repesctfully.

Last edited by vrefplus5 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

vrefplus5 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:56 am If not for tbaylx, the plethora of mainline pilots I hear choking on their new “Swoop” callsign would be unemployed, or downgraded.
Did I just read that? I bet you mainline WJ folk didn’t realize this. Don’t you all feel silly now.

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

Something else Tbaylx didn't consider when going to the media to boast about his van lifestyle.

Read the timelines about his relationship with his fellow van dweller & FA girlfriend that he met in February, 2016.

https://torontolife.com/city/life/weve- ... 0apartment

Brian and I met on a layover at a resort in Cancun in February 2016. We were working with different crews at the same airline and happened to be staying at the same resort. A month later we flew on a work route through Cuba, Edmonton and Costa Rica together, and we really got to know one another.:smt023 :smt057 :smt031

We kept in touch after that, but I didn’t think it would lead to anything because I lived in Toronto and Brian lived in Edmonton. Then in 2017, Brian moved to Toronto and we started seeing each other more often

Now read this article from the TSB website, which is a blog post by Tbaylx on January 30th, 2017. At the time he notes he was married with a wife and three kids, but was settling into an office-type job to be there for them.

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/medias-media/ ... 170130.htm

Interpolate the two together. Draw your own conclusions.

Someone please forward both these articles to his ex-wife's divorce attorney to have some fun with.

Last edited by WestJet Puke on Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

I think I am agreeing, ANYONE past present or future that works at SWOOP would have to be considered a scab. Doesn’t matter where you worked before you are going against mainline even if you come from mainline. Sorry but thats the only conclusion they should all be on your blacklist.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

Since ALPA has a blacklist on these guys and SWOOP they will never let SWOOP or those guys join ALPA, they will never be represented by a Airline Union and on their own...ALPA takes care of it’s members !!

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

:rolleyes:

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

WestJet Puke wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:09 pm Something else Tbaylx didn't consider when going to the media to boast about his van lifestyle.

Read the timelines about his relationship with his fellow van dweller & FA girlfriend that he met in February, 2016.

https://torontolife.com/city/life/weve- ... 0apartment

Brian and I met on a layover at a resort in Cancun in February 2016. We were working with different crews at the same airline and happened to be staying at the same resort. A month later we flew on a work route through Cuba, Edmonton and Costa Rica together, and we really got to know one another.:smt023 :smt057 :smt031

We kept in touch after that, but I didn’t think it would lead to anything because I lived in Toronto and Brian lived in Edmonton. Then in 2017, Brian moved to Toronto and we started seeing each other more often

Now read this article from the TSB website, which is a blog post by Tbaylx on January 30th, 2017. At the time he notes he was married with a wife and three kids.

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/medias-media/ ... 170130.htm

Interpolate the two together. Draw your own conclusions.

Someone please forward both these articles to his ex-wife's divorce attorney to have some fun with.
All it says is that he got married to his wife in 2010. He met Hayley in 2016 (who is a very nice person in her own regard, as I've worked with her several times).

Although the article you quote was written in 2017, note at the bottom that it says that "the father of three," no the "MARRIED father of three."

Is it not possible that he met his wife in 2010, had 3 kids, got divorced, THEN met Hayley in 2016 and wrote the TSB article in 2017? You could be incorrectly assuming that he was still married when he wrote the article.

I'm not here to debate the Swoop/Mainline issue, just poking holes in your theory about "drawing your own conclusions"

JTrain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTrain »

jjj wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Most don’t give a crap about Tbalyx living in a Van. They’re pissed at the man and busting his chops now in every which way.

Lest we forget that Tbalyx going to SWOOP was debated on this very forum. Several people pleaded with him over several days to reconsider the move.

Whilst no picket lines were crossed - the potential damage was outlined to him in advance.

Tbalyx was afforded every courtesy and sound arguments prior to going to SWOOP. After he ignored the words of caution the gloves came off.

Tbalyx pissed in a lot of peoples corn flakes and they haven’t forgotten.

Go back and do some reading on this forum. He was warned.
Excellent excellent points jjj.

Tbaylx can live however he wants to live. Just please have a little respect for the profession. There was no need for him to go to Swoop, or be so obnoxious about it.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

:?

Last edited by Spaceshuttle on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JTrain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTrain »

Spaceshuttle wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:10 pm Since ALPA has a blacklist on these guys and Swoop they will never let these guys or Swoop join ALPA, they will be on their own to fend for themselves without a union. ALPA takes care of it paying members!!
BUT he does not seem to get it. Here he is, threatening everyone:
tbaylx wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:02 am Its a small industry gentlemen, burning bridges and all. Carry on.
Don't worry Brian. I will never be applying to Flair Air, nor will the massive majority of the WestJet pilot group.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

vrefplus5 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:56 am Perspective. I get the angst, it’s a natural emotion. To be objective however, wasn’t Swoop created to “close the back door” against the likes of the very company “tbaylx” is the Chief Pilot of? As a group, you’ve embarrassingly proven yourselves utterly powerless and impotent to thwart any commercial whims your management deems necessary, so I understand the hostile emotions towards him....low hanging fruit, easy to pick on. Anonymity is king.

As a founding father in Class 1, wasn’t Swoop’s current Manager of Training and Standards also “warned” not to embark on this fools errand? What of the hidden putrid and festering resentment towards THIS gentleman that you so lavishly bathe on tbaylx? The very epitome of what you detest so loathingly, is in Swoops’s management team, yet not a whiff of a chirp.

I suspect Canadian aviation is watching a slow train wreck of Team Teal. Collectively, for most of us, our personal and professional situations have changed from 12 months ago when we were on a high, so the prevalence of the biting remarks and misdirection of your agony is somewhat expected.

“He was warned”. Get over yourself bud, and chill. If not for tbaylx, the plethora of mainline pilots I hear choking on their new “Swoop” callsign would be unemployed, or downgraded. Seriously, your tone on the frequency is depressing to hear, but, you all should be grateful and buy that man a pint. Your pathetic tantrums can neither change nor alter market forces and demand. It’s why you now have a Swoop to bump down into, and grudgingly dismount your high horse to remain employed......and why you’ll have a Swoop to “not make the back door quite as open” when the rebound begins in earnest. Perspective. You’re too close to the flame. Repesctfully.
Tbalyx was warned about the damage he would cause in the most polite way possible. Go ahead and look for yourself. He was engaged with gentlemanly conversation from many.

As far as the current SWOOP manger from Tbalyx's generation goes - if he ever sticks his head up nowhere he'll be politely engaged from many.

The notion that somehow Tbalyx and/or the creation of SWOOP has somehow defended jobs is probably one of the dumbest comments I've read on here.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Hozer wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:12 pm If you live in a van, you have lost the game of life! You can’t spin it into a positive.
To be fair, if you have wanderlust, desire to travel a lot and dont care about a fixed address and are happy...who says you've lost?
Now living in an abandoned van on blocks, now that's failing life. Then again I know many people with houses miserable - are they winning or losing?
Not defending anyones actions, just clarifying the lense with which we judge how successful someone is. Some days I think I should everything, buy an RV and commute from where ever...

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

jjj, I wonder if once a year a thorough cleaning of resentments wouldn’t lead to a happier life? I’m in no way suggesting that you’re unhappy. However, I’ve read that resentments are poisons that you feed yourself.

With all that’s happened in just the last year, perhaps a little humility is in order. None of us are getting out of here unscathed, or alive.

Humble-Pie-Eating-John

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The irony of pilots with no respect for anyone shouting the loudest about how pilots aren't being respected is obviously lost here so I think we'll just lock this one.

Grow up people, you're never too old to start acting like an adult instead of a schoolyard bully.

Return to “WestJet”