Questions for Jazz pilots

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Boeingbrent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Questions for Jazz pilots

Post by Boeingbrent »

So I know so many questions have been answered separately on this forum but I’m a grade 12 student that wants to study aviation and become a pilot. I’ve been really considering jazz as I wanna work for Air Canada eventually and I know people are gonna say “there are better companies” and such and I’m not completely limiting my options to air Canada obviously. But I live on the east coast and was thinking of doing the Diploma in aviation tech at MFC. Would this be enough to get a job at jazz or even say, Encore? I just wanna make sure that I would meet requirements since I know they get lots of applications. Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

windows94
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Questions for Jazz pilots

Post by windows94 »

Hard to say with the current economic climate. You'll almost certainly need to work somewhere else for a few years first. Be ready to go north or instruct for 2-3 years minimum. If your dead set on Jazz I would look into the Jazz pathways program and their partner schools. Competition for jobs will be stiff for the next while... going to one of these schools might be the extra thing on your resume that gets you in.

https://flyjazz.ca/en/careers/pilots/pathwaysprogram/

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

250hrs and a diploma won’t be enough to secure a spot at the airlines anymore, except for a few lucky lotto winners basically.

I really hate to say but it for 95% of newly minted pilots now it is most likely back to old routine of road tripping just to find a job hucking bags, cleaning planes, and sweeping hangars for a couple years, living in some backwater town for shit money in shit weather. Grind that out and you’ll get to the airlines in a few years ahead of your peers that don’t want to leave the comfy city.

My advice is don’t start a flying career right now unless your obsessed with it because passion and tenacity will be your two best friends. Just me two cents

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Boeingbrent wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:15 pm So I know so many questions have been answered separately on this forum but I’m a grade 12 student that wants to study aviation and become a pilot. I’ve been really considering jazz as I wanna work for Air Canada eventually and I know people are gonna say “there are better companies” and such and I’m not completely limiting my options to air Canada obviously. But I live on the east coast and was thinking of doing the Diploma in aviation tech at MFC. Would this be enough to get a job at jazz or even say, Encore? I just wanna make sure that I would meet requirements since I know they get lots of applications. Thank you
Get your licenses and ratings, instruct for a while if you can, and go "north". If I were you, I'd consider diversifying and go to college or university and take something else non-aviation related.

If you're hellbent on an aviation program, go to Seneca. However trying to get to "wherever" with 250 hrs is going to cut you out of a huge part of the flying adventure and learning process that you simply can't have by going straight to an airline. Just because a "pathway" exists to get you into a 705 flight deck does not mean you should take it.

As the others have noted here, we are looking at years before we are back to pre-covid hiring. Yes, it will get crazy again in time (see the CAE and Boeing pilot forecasts), but take advantage of the opportunity of the current downturn to follow your desired career path via the scenic route. I guarantee you'll be better off for it.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

:?:
Canoehead wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 am
Boeingbrent wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:15 pm So I know so many questions have been answered separately on this forum but I’m a grade 12 student that wants to study aviation and become a pilot. I’ve been really considering jazz as I wanna work for Air Canada eventually and I know people are gonna say “there are better companies” and such and I’m not completely limiting my options to air Canada obviously. But I live on the east coast and was thinking of doing the Diploma in aviation tech at MFC. Would this be enough to get a job at jazz or even say, Encore? I just wanna make sure that I would meet requirements since I know they get lots of applications. Thank you
As the others have noted here, we are looking at years before we are back to pre-covid hiring. Yes, it will get crazy again in time (see the CAE and Boeing pilot forecasts), but take advantage of the opportunity of the current downturn to follow your desired career path via the scenic route. I guarantee you'll be better off for it.
You should also exercise caution while relying on surveys from CAE or boeing. That would be similar to ask a ford salesman what the demand is for f-150’s while debating a purchase.
Their businesses rely on aircraft sales and pilot training. Forecast growth/pilot training would only help their outlooks/investor confidence.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

All the more reason to enjoy and anticipate "the scenic route", although I think the CAE and Boeing predictions will prove to be quite accurate (notwithstanding another Covid or 9/11 obviously). Time will tell.

coastdog13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coastdog13 »

Generally downturns are a good time to start training, by the time you are done the industry will be picking up again. If you start training when the industry is picking up, you'll be late to the show and bottom of a senority list isnt a good place to be for the next downturn. That advice was given to me during the last downturn and it has served me well.

No matter what anybody on here sais, NOBODY knows how this will play out and any advice out there is personal opinion and theory only. Covid is a very different monkey from a recession and 9/11, and even SARS. Never in our lifetimes, or probably since WWII, have people been locked up unable to travel. Unable is different than being scared to travel, the latter being harder to win back trust. Time will tell if covid will scare people, but from 95% of people I talk to it is just the opposite.

My theory and personal opinion.

Last edited by coastdog13 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”