Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Amac
Rank 0
Rank 0

Complete fwf change

Post by Amac »

Howdy guys and gals,
I recently bought a zenith ch200 with a old worn out O-200A engine in it (100)hp. The aircraft was/is airworthy with all the valid paperwork.....from what i can see. Now the reason i bought a expermental is so that i could replace the engine in it with something from this decade (yamaha YG4) it makes around 150-160HP and is EFI so its pretty efficient. Now im gonna be honest, the paperwork to get the plane in my name was hard enough for me ive always been more of a hands on guy. Im a redseal instrumentation technician so i know my way around tools and a few calculations, but paperwork and lawyer speak eludes me. I understand that i will be doing a major modification to the aircraft and that will require alot of paperwork to be done legally, my issue is i dont even know were to begin let alone start to fill it out. I have heard there may be some retired TC inspectors that will help with that front for a price? I just dont wanna get finished with this conversion and tc refuses to give me a special c o a. Any wisdom you guys can impart would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Amac
---------- ADS -----------

shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Complete fwf change

Post by shaynemarshallporath »

WHY ? I have owned many CH series A/C They are a poor man's RV and investing loads of $ FWF is like putting a $10,000 dress on a pig ! The CH 200 was designed for a 100 hp engine. A better fit would be a CH250-300 ( I have the -300 one) The mod can be done with the help of an AME or through establishing a paperwork trail through a local TC office. DAR on here would know all the ins and outs. You may need to satisfy TC WRT whether the CH200 is structurally fit for that engine, and there is enough tailplane, you may need a final insp, you may run into cooling issues etc. ( maybe Chris Heintz could help) confirm W and B, climb test, fuel flow tests etc. But if you REALLLLY want to do it, bring me the plane and a blank cheque book and 6 months of time and i can accommodate you!

Amac
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Amac »

shaynemarshallporath wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:50 pm WHY ? I have owned many CH series A/C They are a poor man's RV and investing loads of $ FWF is like putting a $10,000 dress on a pig ! The CH 200 was designed for a 100 hp engine. A better fit would be a CH250-300 ( I have the -300 one) The mod can be done with the help of an AME or through establishing a paperwork trail through a local TC office. DAR on here would know all the ins and outs. You may need to satisfy TC WRT whether the CH200 is structurally fit for that engine, and there is enough tailplane, you may need a final insp, you may run into cooling issues etc. ( maybe Chris Heintz could help) confirm W and B, climb test, fuel flow tests etc. But if you REALLLLY want to do it, bring me the plane and a blank cheque book and 6 months of time and i can accommodate you!
Man I wish I could afford an rv they look like such nice planes but as you put it, its a poor mans rv so thats why I went with it lol. Now I have a original set of dwg for my ch200 and the airframe is designed for 100-160hp and a max weight of 310lbs. So the airframe is capable of the add HP and engine the engine gonna weigh in at like 20lbs lighter then my old O-200 so thats nice, might have to shimmy some stuff around but lighter is nicer then heavier. Im not really concerned about the time/money aspect of it (to a point) but I also think the experience of completing a task like this would be amazing. But got a bit off topic, my concern is the paperwork side of things, I've been doing research and it doesn't seem too crazy but like i said im terrible with this lawyer speak shit.

shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shaynemarshallporath »

Well, it sounds like you are half way there ! If the plans do call up to 150 hp and weight is not an issue, you need to conform to standard practices and make sure the paperwork is in order ( see last post) There should be someone who can assist you in PM here on avcanada TC will likely look at it as a major mod BUT the owner can do it and homebuilts can use non-a/c parts they just need to be applicable for the task ( automotive oil cooler but not automotive bolts for airframe applications as an example )

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

For a major modification you will likely need to submit initial documentation to TC. Once work is completed the aircraft will need to go back to flight testing for however many hours TC requires, final documents/flight test reports submitted to TC and eventually new CofA issued. I would recommend getting in contact with the TC inspector who will ultimately handle the application and find out exactly what they will require from you.

Amac
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Amac »

final28 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:03 pm For a major modification you will likely need to submit initial documentation to TC. Once work is completed the aircraft will need to go back to flight testing for however many hours TC requires, final documents/flight test reports submitted to TC and eventually new CofA issued. I would recommend getting in contact with the TC inspector who will ultimately handle the application and find out exactly what they will require from you.
So basically just get in contact with TC and ask what documents they want? If its that easy great! I read some post about TC not wanting to help guide us through the process of whats required but i suspose the worst they can say is no.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

It may not be quite that easy, but it would be a starting point. If TC is helpful and willing to provide guidance - great. If not, or as a complement, look for other avenues.

Amac
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Amac »

*update*

So I got into contact with transport and he was willing to give me a run down, so I figured I would post it here if someone else was wondering.

"Owner proposes a modification and present the plan to TCCA for acceptance

Owner completes the modifications and records the modification in the technical record and signs a maintenance release
Note Powerplant and flight control maintenance require a dual inspection

This proposed modification will require a weight and balance report with equipment list changes as well

These changes also will require a change to the Special CofA – to document the change

Prior to issuing that document – TCCA reserves the right to inspect the aircraft prior to issuance of the flight authority for compliance to the build standard 549 and may introduce the original 25nm and other operating conditions – depends on the results from the inspection and complexity of the changes

These changes will require a new climb test to be completed for compliance to the standard

If “initial” operating conditions are re-applied – they can be removed after 25 hours of error free flight (STD 507 App D 4. (1) (a))"

Return to “Homebuilders”