COVID effect on Medical

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

COVID effect on Medical

Post by avcraig »

Hi all,

I just saw a Reddit post of someone asking for any info regarding COVID and losing your medical (temporarily or permanently). The post didn’t have many replies so I decided to post it here since I was generally curious anyway and I know AvCanada would probably have more info. Apparently people have lost medicals permanently because of heart and/or lung damage due to this virus even after recovering from it? That definitely seems scary considering this virus is meant to be fairly harmless.

Anybody have any bad experiences with your Cat 1 medical and the coronavirus? Know anybody that did?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: COVID effect on Medical

Post by montado »

:lol: You saw a reddit post eh.

are you just trying to keep me from going out for new years with your fear mongering? its working/s :shock: :cry: :rolleyes: :lol:

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

The jury is still out on the smorgasbord of sequele that this virus may eventually be blamed for.

There is no doubt that Covid-19 is NOT a harmless agent, just look at the hundreds of thousands of people that have died and will continue to die from it. Plenty of young people have not escaped this fate.
However this infection may affect your heart, lungs, or other organs, the functional end result is what counts.

All your doctor can do is assess your functions and ascertain if you meet the requirements to safely operate an aircraft, whether the impairment is a result of a Covid infection or a car crash, is not relevant yet , in my view.

A lot of public health harm has been done as a result of political interference in this field, and a lot of people are still not taking this seriously enough.

It will be a long while yet before we "Round the Turn..."

Likely a good year from now...

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Castorero wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:46 pmIt will be a long while yet before we "Round the Turn..."

Likely a good year from now...
This is my expectation as well. The presence of a vaccine is already causing people to relax, and more and more people and businesses are complaining about the lackluster effort in shutting down the transmission. It's taken a year and we're only now seeing blocked flights from outbreak areas (UK) and mandatory testing before travel.

Far too many "recommendations" have been made by the public health officers that should have been mandatory from day 1. Early on, I could see our (BC) health officer visibly struggling to use the politically-approved words to describe the situation. She so clearly wanted to say more, many times, and I strongly believe that she wanted more mandatory lockdowns that the health minister wouldn't grant.

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

You are quite right Airframe...

A Public health officer has immense power to protect the health of the entire population (The Herd).

The individual carries little or no weight vis a vis the Herd.

The responsibility of the public health officer is to the Herd, not the economy, or the political concerns or priorities of a Premier or national Diplomatic considerations.

Now, I did not take the two year front line course in Public Health Administration and Epidemiology, but from the few lectures that were part of a general education, it all was pretty cut and dried, saw it as a fate worse than death with a life of interminable boredom.
I don't recall any mention of Political, Economic or other Caveats laid out for consideration by the Public Health Official other than a duty to guard the Herd against all perils, much like a good sheep dog.

This behind the scenes, massaging of recommendations is something very new, and I see it as an abdication of the public Health Officer's Duty of Care.
This has resulted in a see saw of recommendations, compromises and others acts of political interference which has left us confused, uncertain and uncommitted to following the latest version of recommendations.

Dr Henry is a Saint, but she has failed the Herd by morphing into a political Team Player rather than remaining an incorruptible Medical Practitioner.
The fate of the patient is dire when he or she, or the Payer, is able to dictate treatment and direction of care. Just look at what happened to Elvis, Michael Jackson and many others who hired pliant yes-MDs

The only way out for Dr Henry and others is to speak the truth to the Public directly . When their Duty of Care is being interfered with by Political operatives they should tell us, and resign in protest if unable to continue to discharge their responsibility freely.

We are all suffering a prolongation of this pandemic, because politicians have refused to take the medicine that Public Health presented at the very outset of this disaster.

There should be no confusion, mitigating factors or no other considerations other than the duty to protect the health of the population.

alexthesim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alexthesim »

Any news about the vaccin and medical?

RyanWalker90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RyanWalker90 »

alexthesim wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:35 am Any news about the vaccin and medical?
There is a corresponding section on this forum, there you can find a lot of information)) General Comments > Covid

Return to “Health & Fitness”