Crash Site Near CYPC?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

RileyDylan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Crash Site Near CYPC?

Post by RileyDylan »

Howdy,

I have a friend that asked me about getting to ~30 SE of YPC, N69 15 W123 24. His younger brother crashed in a Dakota in 1971 (Crash #123930). I don't have any experience with the western arctic. Any Aklak folks here that help. Anyone seen that wreck in their travels? He'd like to visit the site, if you have any tips to pass along.

Thx
---------- ADS -----------

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Crash Site Near CYPC?

Post by J31 »

I have been in the area but not to the crash site and do not know what is left there. I would be and adventure overland from Paultuk!

That is a very remote site with Inuvik being the closest with air transport to the site. You could drive or fly to Inuvik but then it is about 270 air miles to the site or 250 miles to Paultuk.

It would be very expensive to helicopter or use a Twin Otter on tundra tires.

Good luck!

PS: I had to miss spell Paultuk (CYPC) to get this site to show it. For some reason it is blocked!

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

I was a radio operator at Coppermine when that accident happened.

Still in Coppermine (Kugluktuk).

If you have the coordinates I would consider flying over there and taking some photos/see what's left. I'm on floats during the summer so I'd need a lake close by.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

The crash site is in the Tuktuk Nogait National Park, and landings are prohibited. I flew over the site the other day all that was visible was the empennage and one wing tip, although some may have been buried in snow. Unfortunately none of my photos turned out.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”