More WJ layoffs

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: More WJ layoffs

Post by Mach1 »

cloak wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:46 pm 1: There are a number of pilots who perceive any message contrary to their own narrow perception as having come from “management”. You seem to be one of them! 2: However, most know that had the company offer been put to a vote, it would have passed with great majority. 3: In the place of those new reps, most would not be pressured to carry the burden of that decision alone, especially in such slim majority, and would definitely want to consult the larger pilot group.

4: But you are saying that had the company offered something between 0 and 415 layoffs, it would have been better than 0 layoffs? Please do tell!
1: No, I understand balance. There is no balance in your commentary, therefore it is one sided by every definition.

2: Do most know that would be the outcome? I haven't seen a pollster get an election right in the last 15 years. It could have gone any direction.

3: How do you know those "new reps" were not representing their base? I don't know that they were or were not. I am positive you don't know either and you are taking a best guess based on your opinions and your circle of friends.

4: I am saying that the union went back to the table and offered to keep negotiating and that the company turned them down offering a take it or leave it approach with no middle ground. That's not a negotiation at that point. I'm saying you are mad at the union for the company's actions. I'm saying that everyone but a very tiny wedge of pilots (likely top 10% because that's pretty standard in every union I've worked in) were negatively effected but, I can't sit here and armchair quarterback that decision because I don't have all the facts and neither do you.

You sound like a person who has never faced adversity before. It happens, and it sucks. Getting mad and pointing fingers is just a giant waste of emotional and physical energy better spent on dealing with the situation you have been handed. It's been done... we don't have a time machine to go back and undo it. But, most of all, it was not only one party that was at that negotiating table and to put 100% of the blame on just one party is either an immature and simplistic way of seeing the world or a management troll here to sew the seeds of division.
---------- ADS -----------

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:49 am Funny, my spouse likes to remind me that she's with me in spite of me being a pilot.
Sounds like she might be a keeper. :)

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

So PAL will start doing flights out of Quebec and the Maritimes for much the same aircraft as Encore in the next coming months?

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

Oxi wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:19 am So PAL will start doing flights out of Quebec and the Maritimes for much the same aircraft as Encore in the next coming months?
I never knew they had Q400's until I looked.

https://www.palairlines.ca/en/fly-pal/our-fleet/

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/PAL-Airlines

https://www.palairlines.ca/wp-content/u ... -EN_FA.pdf

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Connecting Westjet passengers!

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

Any word on recalls? With the US starting to come North it’s not going to look good for recovery!

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

pacman007 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:23 am Any word on recalls? With the US starting to come North it’s not going to look good for recovery!
Recalls???..... They just did significant layoffs 3 weeks ago. You must be trolling.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

Trudeau will make sure there are no recalls here in Canada.

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Maybe in July for September flying.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

RRJetPilot wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:31 pm Trudeau will make sure there are no recalls here in Canada.
I hate these sorts of posts, not a fan of him but mud slinging doesn't fix anything

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Trudeau was also responsible for the unprecedented growth and record profits in the airlines too before the pandemic, I guess?

Not that it applied to Westjet. Maybe chock it up to yet another Albertan company pissing away the good times and then looking for a scapegoat.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Pissing away the good times? Air Canada has done a good job of that.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Zaibatsu wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:22 pm Trudeau was also responsible for the unprecedented growth and record profits in the airlines too before the pandemic, I guess?

Not that it applied to Westjet. Maybe chock it up to yet another Albertan company pissing away the good times and then looking for a scapegoat.
The fact that every airline has gone through the worst aviation year in history and not one has declared bankruptcy I’d say that none of them have pissed away good times.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Zaibatsu wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:22 pm Not that it applied to Westjet. Maybe chock it up to yet another Albertan company pissing away the good times and then looking for a scapegoat.
Wow buddy, put the hate card back in the deck.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

brooks wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 pm Pissing away the good times? Air Canada has done a good job of that.
You'd almost think that it was managed by politicians from Alberta!

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

mmm..bacon wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:48 am
You'd almost think that it was managed by politicians from Alberta!
Could be worse. Could have been managed by a Liberal.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

brooks wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 pm Pissing away the good times? Air Canada has done a good job of that.
Your company took its most valuable resource, a dedicated pilot body that would LITERALLY pick garbage for free, and destroyed it with childish infantile revenge. But AC pissed away good times?

Delusional doesn’t even begin to describe it.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Hangry wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:51 pm
Your company took its most valuable resource, a dedicated pilot body that would LITERALLY pick garbage for free, and destroyed it with childish infantile revenge. But AC pissed away good times?

Delusional doesn’t even begin to describe it.
He's still upset that he never even got called...

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

altiplano wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:44 pm He's still upset that he never even got called...
Perhaps, but that doesn't make him wrong.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Except he is...

Return to “WestJet”