Free PPL Ground School

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Free PPL Ground School

Post by Bede »

My Covid project was to make my ground school into narrated YouTube video's. Since our ground schools are shut down, I figured I'd have videos for students to watch followed by students getting together with their instructor one on one to have the interactive portion of their learning. For everyone's benefit, I decided to make it publicly available on line for everyone to use.

A few things:
1) It's not a high quality King production - it is free after all, but I did my best not to do a death by Powerpoint (except for Air Law- not too many videos I can include).
2) Sorry about the audio. I purchased a headset just to find out at the end it was the computer mic recording, not my microphone.
3) The order is most boring to least. If you can make it through air law, you'll be able to make it through navigation.

If you aren't 100% satisfied there is a 100% moneyback guarantee. :smt040

Happy learning.

www.freepilotgroundschool.ca
---------- ADS -----------

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Free PPL Ground School

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Wow. This is amazing, and a fantastic contribution. I haven't watched them yet, but I'm writing the PPAER soon enough; this will be a great help.

You should recheck all the links - I noticed "Meteorology 5: Moisture" actually links to "Air Law 5: Airspace".

Thank you sir. You are a scholar and a gentleman, and your effort is very much appreciated.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

That's a huge project - enormous congratulations, and very generously and well done.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:57 pm Wow. This is amazing, and a fantastic contribution. I haven't watched them yet, but I'm writing the PPAER soon enough; this will be a great help.

You should recheck all the links - I noticed "Meteorology 5: Moisture" actually links to "Air Law 5: Airspace".

Thank you sir. You are a scholar and a gentleman, and your effort is very much appreciated.
Thank you I will make that change.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You might want to add a paypal donation link, either to you, or a charity of which you approve.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Very cool!

Curious... how do you certify that the student actually knows the material when you write the recommend?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Classy, Bede........very classy....and endorse PF's suggestion, too.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:25 pm Very cool!

Curious... how do you certify that the student actually knows the material when you write the recommend?
He doesn’t write the recommend; the student’s instructor does.

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

photofly wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:15 pm You might want to add a paypal donation link, either to you, or a charity of which you approve.
I agree! Thank you for your generous gift to piloting! Looks really good!

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

photofly wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:33 pm

I was referring to this text on the website...

Contact me at the email address below for certification of your ground school record and a recommendation to write the exam.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Sweet! Expect angry emails from competitors ;-)

I hope it helps a lot of people!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:46 pm

Contact me at the email address below for certification of your ground school record and a recommendation to write the exam.
I guess he does, then.

Skyhooks?

Enquiring minds want to know about the Ph.D dissertation. What was the title?

Thumper45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thumper45 »

This is great!
I'm already on a platform that is out there so it may not be the biggest help to my goals but this is an amazing thing to offer.
I will be passing this along to many people I know who are interested in flying.

I also think you should put some sort of PayPal link or donation link. I know many people who would love to offer something for the work you have done. No small project!

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:46 pm

The original idea was that it was going to be a self-study ground school for our school's students and they would get together with an instructor for a few hours for one-on-one. I think it comes down to a honor system/signature. It would be an Aeronautics Act violation to falsely claim. Same as pretty much every other self-study style GS.

If a student wants to go through this and then work with their own instructor/FTU and get their recommend, that's totally ok with me.

I should mention too, that the student will have to do a bit more studying on their own. It's amazing how fast you can get through PPL level material when you have 0 student interaction. GS used to take me well over 40 hrs depending on class size. Explaining the pilot static system was at least an hour by the time you pass around the cut open altimeter and point at stuff. Now I get through it in 15 minutes.

Last edited by Bede on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Last edited by Bede on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

photofly wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:29 pm Enquiring minds want to know about the Ph.D dissertation. What was the title?
Single Molecule Force Spectroscopy Investigations of Amyloid-β Aggregation

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Last edited by Bede on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:11 pm Sweet! Expect angry emails from competitors ;-)

I hope it helps a lot of people!
In the intro, I put in a plug for Harv's Air. I used to recommend Harv's (until I came up with this one). I have no interest in competing with them- they do put out a good product.

This one is a lot more "." than it is "Pultz". I don't even know if Pultz is still around, but it was really in depth. . is Coles Notes.

edit: why is . banned from this forum?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I got an interesting email from someone advising me of litigation involving the publishers of other manuals. The Federal Court decision is published here: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/20 ... ultIndex=3.
An appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal was dismissed in 3 paragraphs here: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fca/doc/20 ... pletePos=3
Costs against the plaintiff were awarded: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/20 ... ultIndex=5

At the risk of litigation from other providers, I just want to make clear that I am not in the business of making money off this venture. There are no YoutTube ads. In fact, in my intro video, I explicitly direct users to other ground school providers. They are better. Honestly. Furthermore, I am not trying to use this to get students. The only students that I have are friends of mine and I am not accepting any new students. Between my flying job and research, I have no time to take on other students.

When I couldn't sleep at night, I digitized my GS presentations, added my voice, spliced in a few YouTube clips, uploaded to YouTube and made a website to put it in a coherent package. Website hosting is free because it's part of other websites that I have.

Sad that I need to make a post like this, but I guess some people are litigious.

Last edited by Bede on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Flight Training”