Free PPL Ground School

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Free PPL Ground School

Post by photofly »

Someone tried to suggest you can’t give away training materials for free?
What BS. Of course you can.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

You're right, of course you can. Welcome to the internet. I'd bet there's enough decent stuff on YouTube that you could complete the first 2 years of medical school (the years where you don't have to touch people). Read the decision above. Someone went all the way to the Federal Court of Appeal arguing a case that any objective person (let alone a lawyer) would say has no merit. Costs were increased above the regular partial indemnity scale. Still, he took it all the way to the FCA.

I have no doubt that this falls within the law, but just to make it extra clear in case someone gets pissy....this isn't my business, it's a set of youtube videos with a simple HTML website linking to them. If my website gets you interested in flying, great! Go to your local flying school and pay money and get your flight training.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Well, as they say, a lawyer who represents himself....

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Was the anonymous emailer the same one as the plaintiff in the linked case?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:41 am Was the anonymous emailer the same one as the plaintiff in the linked case?
No. He wasn't anonymous. He was a very helpful fellow pilot who wanted to warn me of said plaintiff. I very much appreciated his message.

From my reading, anti-competitive behavior is limited to dominant players who reduce their price below cost to force out new entrants. I just made my YouTube video's public and put links to them on an HTML site to help out others.

j8naid
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by j8naid »

Bede wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:16 am My Covid project was to make my ground school into narrated YouTube video's. Since our ground schools are shut down, I figured I'd have videos for students to watch followed by students getting together with their instructor one on one to have the interactive portion of their learning. For everyone's benefit, I decided to make it publicly available on line for everyone to use.

A few things:
1) It's not a high quality King production - it is free after all, but I did my best not to do a death by Powerpoint (except for Air Law- not too many videos I can include).
2) Sorry about the audio. I purchased a headset just to find out at the end it was the computer mic recording, not my microphone.
3) The order is most boring to least. If you can make it through air law, you'll be able to make it through navigation.

If you aren't 100% satisfied there is a 100% moneyback guarantee. :smt040

Happy learning.

www.freepilotgroundschool.ca
Thank you for that, hope things work out for you mate!

Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuza »

Deleted

Last edited by Tuza on Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

In the spirit of free learning -- I'll repost this comment here.

To anyone in the community interested in financial learning:

I deeply believe in financial empowerment and education for individuals.

I'm not selling a thing, I am in the early conceptual stages of writing a book on financial and investment principles I've learned that won't make me a dime, just like my personal book.

It's one way to give back.

I'm over 20 years in this game, I started from zero, to financially independent.

I freely blog my running observations and analysis on Twitter each day. @cessnadriver50

I share under the following understandings there:

I get it wrong. A lot.

I don't give tips. I might mention higher quality stocks of interest to me, This can change at any time and without notice. Mainly, It's principle based. Learning is hard work. Yours.

I'm Not a Day Trader, nor do I trade the index's. High quality names only.

I write on long term themes, 6 months out, to a multi year focus,

I take intelligent questions or comments there only, as I have time, and only publicly, as to help the community. I don't answer DM's, and I have a short fuse for abusers, they will be blocked without warning.

Sorry, I don't have the time to give individual advice, nor am I licensed to do so.

Anyone is welcome.

Robert

SRCrowne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SRCrowne »

Looks like a fantastic resource, keep it up!
I also just want to give a thumbs up for the recommendation of Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators, it's a truly excellent text.
But, where's my boy Wolfgang Langewiesche? No recommendation for Stick and Rudder? :o

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

I think groundschool should be much cheaper than it actually is if you actually fly with the school. If not free.

-Alan

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

canadian757 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:56 pm I think groundschool should be much cheaper than it actually is if you actually fly with the school. If not free.
Why do you think 40 hours of instruction should be free?

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

canadian757 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:56 pm I think groundschool should be much cheaper than it actually is if you actually fly with the school. If not free.

-Alan
I disagree. I spent $300 for my PPL ground school at Brampton. I'm not training there, but those who do pay the same price (in addition to the club membership fee of ~$100ish per annum). I think that's a pretty good deal, at least compared to the cost of flight training. They do run a very professional, well organized show though. I suppose that doesn't apply everywhere.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

That’s the way the world is going with online learning. Ground school should be taught online by watching videos. No I class teaching. Questions will be answered via a video call.

As for the cost. Charge for the groundschool but then if the student signs up for flight training in the airplane. Give it as a credit on the account.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

canadian757 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:25 pm That’s the way the world is going with online learning. Ground school should be taught online by watching videos. No I class teaching. Questions will be answered via a video call.

As for the cost. Charge for the groundschool but then if the student signs up for flight training in the airplane. Give it as a credit on the account.
I suppose then, as it would seem to logically follow from your argument (to me at least), that the instructors teaching these classes should be pro-bono, or close to it?

Dude, if you're trying to argue for free training, you're in the wrong place. You're either incredibly naïve, or a troll.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:58 pm
canadian757 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:25 pm That’s the way the world is going with online learning. Ground school should be taught online by watching videos. No I class teaching. Questions will be answered via a video call.

I suppose then, as it would seem to logically follow from your argument (to me at least), that the instructors teaching these classes should be pro-bono, or close to it?

Dude, if you're trying to argue for free training, you're in the wrong place. You're either incredibly naïve, or a troll.
Well it’s already being done in other industries. You’re probably one of those boomers who argue against social media too. Keep up with the times.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

canadian757 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:55 am
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:58 pm

Well it’s already being done in other industries. You’re probably one of those boomers who argue against social media too. Keep up with the times.
You start.

Write 40 hours of quality content, offer it for free, then you can tell others what they should do.

Lead the way.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

Already done!

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

Flair Airlines pilot pay

[YouTube] https://youtu.be/5fQjrIxoNjE[/YouTube]

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

CaptainKirk wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:39 am Flair Airlines pilot pay
Well Keith, when did you change your name to Alan?

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

Are you trying to put Michael . out of business, by undercutting his book sales, 😁

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D

Return to “Flight Training”