Daily air times total in the tech logs?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SRCrowne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Daily air times total in the tech logs?

Post by SRCrowne »

My airframe tech log had daily air totals entered by the previous owner. My reading of the CARs is that this is not necessary, am I mistaken? If it is required, which is the regulation stating it? If it is not required, is it good practice to continue doing so?

Bonus question: if my friend flies my plane, can I write and sign the journey log entry for him?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Daily air times total in the tech logs?

Post by photofly »

1. It hasn’t been required for 25 years.

2. The PIC is responsible for the entry. The rules don’t say who has to held the pen. The rules also don’t require a signature.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
SRCrowne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SRCrowne »

Thank you.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

CAR 605.96 SCHEDULE II Technical Record for an Airframe, Engine, Propeller or Component only refences the owner or the person who was responsible for a maintenance action as the person responsible for making the entry. Also with respect to the Tech log the only entries are those required in the schedule and there is no mention of the PIC or of any requirement to enter every flight

With respect to the Journey log CAR 605.96 Schedule 1 item 4 is states that the person responsible for making the entry for air time is the PIC. This responsibility is only removed in the case of commercially operated aircraft or aircraft operated pursuant to an aircraft with a CAR 604 PORD where an authorized person has been designated.

Personally if I am the PIC I will make the entry because I am the one responsible. I would also suggest that that is the intent of this regulation.

groncher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groncher »

Schedule II only requires the total air time and, where applicable, the number of operating cycles or landings since date of manufacture, at the time of each abnormal occurrence or maintenance action recorded.
So no, each daily total does not need to be recorded. It is a common practice though, and nothing wrong with it (most places I've worked have done this). I personally don't see a benefit to it.
As Photofly mentioned it hasn't been required in 25 years, so it's probably a throwback to years past...old habits die hard.

anthonyp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anthonyp »

groncher wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:53 am Schedule II only requires the total air time and, where applicable, the number of operating cycles or landings since date of manufacture, at the time of each abnormal occurrence or maintenance action recorded.
So no, each daily total does not need to be recorded. It is a common practice though, and nothing wrong with it (most places I've worked have done this). I personally don't see a benefit to it.
As Photofly mentioned it hasn't been required in 25 years, so it's probably a throwback to years past...old habits die hard.
I'm bumping an old thread here.

Like the original poster, the airframe log I acquired has a written entry for each flight flown (most likely based on older regulations).

Based on Sched. II, it seems like (going forward) I only need to make an entry of airtime whenever dictated by some kind of maintenence record or abnormality and not be bothered with making entries for normal/uneventful flights.

Fron my very limited understanding (and I'm happy to be corrected on this), I can't imagine flight schools doubling their workload by making daily entries to their airframe logs alongside the requirement for the journey log/daily flight sheet entries.

To play it safe, I will be contacting TC to get an official answer, but while I wait for their response I wanted to get an idea from current owners and how they tackle their airframe log.

Lastly, wanted to see if any of the veteran members here can point out a source where the requirement for entering individual flights into the airframe log was deprecated.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Sched II says that you need to make entries only when maintenance is done. The CARs are clear so I'd stick to that. If you ask TC, you may find yourself with an answer that isn't consistent with the CARs and forced to decide for yourself which direction to go.

Return to “General Comments”