Fleet 80 wing struts....

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Turbo2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Fleet 80 wing struts....

Post by Turbo2 »

New to the forum, first post.
Looking for any information from anyone with experience in repair of Fleet 80 "Canuck" wing lift struts. Fleet used a non standard size of streamline tube to what is available today which presents a problem for repairs.
Any ideas for repair or leads for a serviceable replacement front lift strut would be appreciated.
Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Fleet 80 wing struts....

Post by PilotDAR »

New struts could be made up and approved by serialized STC, though this would be thousands in cost. Doable, but if you can find an airworthy set, that's for certain the way to go. PM me if you simply have no alternative.

CensoredLF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CensoredLF »

Contact the user fleet16b on this site. I'm pretty sure he knows quite a bit about sourcing parts.

HTH
LF

The real problem with censorship is that people are not aware of it when it happens.
Turbo2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Turbo2 »

Thanks for the replies and information. The idea of finding a good serviceable lift strut may be difficult given total production number of aircraft at 225. Also, the fact that anything available that's out there is going to be 60-70 years old which raises the question of serviceability that could possibly be determined by detailed inspection and non destructive testing. Interesting that the illustrated parts catalog identifies front wing struts as #80-3511-30L and #80-3511-30R which would lead one to believe there is a difference. Visual inspection side by side shows no obvious differences. The damaged strut that I have was on the right hand side of the aircraft and it is stamped with a letter R at the very lower end. Upon examination of the strut that was on the left side of the aircraft it too has a letter R stamping !?
I have considered the idea of a limited STC or an RDC for fabricating new front struts for both the left and right side with new streamline material that is available today but yes, it would be very expensive route to go as the material alone would be over $1000 per strut ! Computer programs today could be very helpful to determine suitable dimensions for materials.
Any ideas from others is appreciated.
Thanks..

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

There’s a Fleet Aircraft group on Facebook that’s more about keeping and maintaining them today than it is about their history. Quite a few members own Canucks so I’d start there.

Turbo2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Turbo2 »

Thanks for info, I'll check Facebook.

.Ed Doetzel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by .Ed Doetzel »

Give me a call at Legacy Aircraft. 403-651-7579.

Return to “Maintenance”