I Wonder What the Forecast Was

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Wonder What the Forecast Was

Post by pelmet »

Two and a half years ago, I had an interesting wind experience. It was my Mother's birthday and it had been cloudy with light winds all day. It is not unusual for a cold front to come through and the winds to pick up to 30 or 35 knots, but when I checked the aviation weather forecast, it said that the winds were going to pick up to 50 knots. My brother an I took her to dinner at a local golf course and the clouds went away and it was nice and sunny with little wind as we took pictures outside the very nice clubhouse. An hour later, I could hear the wind howling outside yet when I checked the winds at a airport only 7 miles away, still light winds(at least for a while). It was ridiculously windy as I drove her home. I thought to myself how even if it is a nice sunny day, one should get the forecast even for a local flight. It can be tempting to not do so.

The following incident reminded me of that day. I would be curious to know what the forecast said for that day.....

"Date 21-01-11

C-FNXW, a privately operated Piper PA-20-135, was conducting local instructional flight from the
Grand Prairie airport, Alberta (CYQU) with two persons on board. The aircraft departed CYQU at
1442 MST. On the down wind leg of the circuit for Runway 25, the winds were reported as gusting
to 25 knots. When the aircraft touched down on the runway for landing (at approximately 1455
MST) a wind gust picked up and the aircraft departed off the north side of the runway into the
snow. Prior to the flight, the METAR issued at 1400 MST reported the winds were 330 at 7 KTS. At
1458 MST a SPECI was issue stating that the winds were 270 45G60KT. The aircraft remained
upright but the right hand main landing gear was damaged. There were no injuries."
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: I Wonder What the Forecast Was

Post by pelmet »

Here is another one where I wonder what the forecast was. Like I posted earlier, I have seen the winds go from light to 50 knots in less than an hour, but it was in the forecast. Don't know the story here but I do recommend always checking, even on those beautiful nice days. Sometimes, I like to look at the lowest available upper winds forecast as well to get an idea of what could happen during the day, especially if flying a taildragger. Interesting name for an airplane company......

"C-GPYW, an Air Pockets Adventures Ltd Cessna 172E, was conducting flight training operations at
the Beiseker (CFV2), AB airport. A student and an instructor were performing circuits on Runway
34. After the third dual circuit the instructor had the student stop the plane and authorized the
student to conduct several solo circuits. As the student lifted off it was noted that the wind speed
had increase significantly as the plane had to be "crabbed" into the wind to maintain runway
heading on the climb out. During the first attempt to land the student conducted a "go-a-round" due
to the cross wind. On the second landing the student touched down, and then drifted to the left side
of the runway and exited in to the grassy ditch. The plane came to a stop in the ditch only after the
prop had contacted the ground and stopped the engine. The student was securing the plane when
a gust of wind caused the plane to flip on to the roof. The student unbuckled the seatbelt, dropped
to the roof and exited the plane un-injured. The plane was substantially damaged. There was no
fire."
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”