Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

BernieG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Importing US Experimental Aircraft - Maintenance

Post by BernieG »

Hi folks,

I have been looking at homebuilding a Sling 2, but noticed a couple of already built US experimental aircraft that could be reconfigured with a new panel to meet my requirements.I am a COPA member and have read the guides, but am still a little unclear if the new owner of an importanted aircraft can do work or rebuild or restore their amatur built/experimental aircraft once imported, or if that has to be done by an AME.

It seems according to CAR 507 Appendix C, once a US experimental aircraft (with over 100 hrs on it, and having gone through the mandatory import inspection process, placards etc) has been granted A Special C of A — Amateur-built, I would be able to maintain it as the owner of an amateur built. Anyone know if that interpretation correct?

I.e. Could I import a US build experimental aircraft and then replace the panel or engine myself and get the changes inspected by the MD-RA Inspector and signed off, or would I have to have it maintained and those changes performed by a qualified AME?

Section (xi) Changes that affect the structural strength, performance, power plant operation, or flight characteristics of an amateur built aircraft must be reported to the Minister before further flight of the aircraft; such changes may require re-evaluation to confirm that the aircraft continues to comply with the applicable standards.
... suggests that an owner can do this, even if they were not the original builder.

Thoughts?

Many thanks
Bernie
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Importing US Experimental Aircraft - Maintenance

Post by ahramin »

Welcome Bernie.

Once the aircraft is registered in Canada as Special C of A Amateur Built, then you as the owner can sign the maintenance release for all work and inspections, including major modifications and annual inspections.

As for modifications, you would have to determine if it's a major or minor mod (panel probably minor, engine or prop type change definitely major). If it's a major mod you will send your "acceptable" data to Transport Canada, not MD-RA, and they will determine what needs to be done next.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

@ahramin is correct. Once imported it becomes a Canadian Amateur-Built, which means the owner can do all maintenance and sign all maintenance releases.

Major modifications must be approved by Transport Canada, I suggest paperwork be sent to them *before* you start the change. They take ages to get anything done on Amateur-Built aircraft and you don't want to be grounded while they do it. If the change (engine, propellor) has been done on another equivalent aircraft, chances are approval is guaranteed.

Panel modifications are minor mods. My panel has been re-configured three times since I imported it, nobody needs to know about it but me (but you do need to update your weight and balance).

If you don't feel that you are qualified to do such work, you can still take the plane to an AME to have them do it for you. When they're done, you sign off the work.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

When an AME works on our aircraft they sign the maintenance release for their work.

Usually when the owner of an amateur built aircraft gets an AME to work on it, it's because they don't feel confident doing it themselves. If they aren't comfortable doing the work, they aren't likely qualified to sign for it.

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

Everything said above is "spot on" and good advice. I would only add that you could, as a learning experience do the work you may be uncomfortable under the guidance of an AME or other member of the Canadian Amateur Built community who you trust. I would be expanding your knowledge base, gain familiarity with your airplane and thereafter sign off and "return it to service" as the owner.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ahramin wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:04 am When an AME works on our aircraft they sign the maintenance release for their work.

Usually when the owner of an amateur built aircraft gets an AME to work on it, it's because they don't feel confident doing it themselves. If they aren't comfortable doing the work, they aren't likely qualified to sign for it.
Is that your own suggestion, or is there a rule for that?

I've had a friendly AME work on my experimental plane, and I sign off that work. Is that illegal?
I figured I'm responsible and I hire him for help. Since I'm responsible, I sign it off.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:20 pm
ahramin wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:04 am When an AME works on our aircraft they sign the maintenance release for their work.

Is that your own suggestion, or is there a rule for that?

I've had a friendly AME work on my experimental plane, and I sign off that work. Is that illegal?
I figured I'm responsible and I hire him for help. Since I'm responsible, I sign it off.
Without specifics I do not know if it was illegal. Can you give me an example of the work that your AME did that you signed off? What did the maintenance release look like and what were the applicable standards of airworthiness?

As for specific rules, I would highly recommend that if you are signing maintenance releases for aircraft that you become familiar with them.
571.03 A person who performs maintenance or elementary work on an aeronautical product shall ensure that

(a) the details required by Standard 571 — Maintenance are entered in the technical record for the aeronautical product, in respect of the task performed; and
571.03 Recording of Maintenance and Elementary Work

Information Note:

Compliance with section 571.03 of the CARs is the responsibility of the person performing the work. This regulation is applicable to the making of an entry into a technical record, which is distinct from the maintenance release addressed by section 571.10 of the CARs.

(1) A person who performs maintenance or elementary work on an aeronautical product shall ensure that the following information is recorded in the technical records, established in accordance with Subpart 605 of the CARs, for the aeronautical product:
That basically covers the responsibility of your friendly AME with regards to paperwork, but what about your responsibility as the person signing it?
571.10 Maintenance Release

Information Note:

Pursuant to section 605.85 of the CARs, where an aircraft has undergone maintenance, a maintenance release with respect to maintenance performed shall be completed prior to take off in the affected aircraft. It is a declaration that, with respect to the maintenance performed, the performance rules of section 571.02 of the CARs have been complied with and the applicable standards of airworthiness have been met.
So if you are knowledgeable about
the most recent methods, techniques, practices, parts, materials, tools, equipment and test apparatuses that are

(a) specified for the aeronautical product in the most recent maintenance manual or instructions for continued airworthiness developed by the manufacturer of that aeronautical product;

(b) equivalent to those specified by the manufacturer of that aeronautical product in the most recent maintenance manual or instructions for continued airworthiness; or

(c) in accordance with recognized industry practices at the time the maintenance or elementary work is performed.
check the work done by the AME and are satisfied that it conforms, I see no problem in signing it yourself.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

EAA Canada Council is working on some webinars to cover the Canadian rules for this sort of stuff (maintenance paperwork).

http://pages.eaa.org/WBN2021-03-24SNAGG ... ation.html

Return to “Homebuilders”