Mandatory PCR Test and 3 Day Hotel Quarantine

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Mandatory PCR Test and 3 Day Hotel Quarantine

Post by Cessna 180 »

Measures come as concerns about new variants of the coronavirus mount
Catharine Tunney · CBC News · Posted: Jan 29, 2021 9:55 AM ET | Last Updated: 4 minutes ago

Canada's main airlines have agreed to cancel service to the Caribbean and Mexico and the federal government is introducing new mandatory quarantine rules as they try to discourage international travel.

This morning Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Air Canada, WestJet, Sunwing and Air Transat have agreed to suspend service to sun destinations right away and will be making arrangements with their customers who are in these regions now to organize flights home.

"With the challenges we currently face with COVID-19, both here at home and abroad, we all agree that now is just not the time to be flying," said Trudeau outside his home at Rideau Cottage.

The prime minister said as soon as possible the government will be introducing mandatory PCR testing at the airport for people returning to Canada, on top of the pre-boarding test already required.

Travellers will then have to wait up to three days at an approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense, which Trudeau said is expected to be more than $2,000.

Those with a negative test will then be able to finish their 14-day quarantine at home, with increased surveillance.

"By putting in place these tough measures now, we can look forward to a better time, when we can plan those vacations," said Trudeau.

Similar measures

The move is not without precedent. Australia has been requiring most travellers to quarantine at a government-arranged hotel for 14 days for $2,800 AUD per adult and $4,620 AUD for a family of four.

The U.K. introduced similar measures on Thursday and now requires citizens arriving from dozens of high-risk countries to quarantine in hotels for 10 days at their own expense.

Canada has had a ban on non-essential travel into the country by anyone who isn't a citizen or permanent resident since March, but banning the flow of Canadians in and out of the country is a thornier task.

People who return from abroad for non-essential reasons must quarantine for two weeks, or risk hefty financial penalties or jail time — a measure that's also been in place since March.

As of earlier this month, most travellers must also show proof of a negative COVID-19 test before arriving in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.5892992
---------- ADS -----------

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Mandatory PCR Test and 3 Day Hotel Quarantine

Post by TheStig »

Trudeau continued on to say, "In umm exchange for umm the massive overhead cost associated with umm parking aircraft the Federal Government will umm be providing a 8 billion dollar ummm sector specific aid package."

Nope, never mind, just empty platitudes. I can't wait until next Fridays "Patio time with Justin" (shouldn't he be in Parliment?) Where he explains how the government plans on stopping the other 98% of all cases not related to travel.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Hard to believe we are almost a year into this nonsense and things are continuing the downward spiral. He’s more worried about people taking vacations then protecting nursing homes which is where most of the deaths are occurring. Only 1% are vaccinated so far so it’s going to be years before this is behind us, if ever.

Let’s Go Brandon
ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

So let's recap...

One must:
  • wear a mask everywhere you go, without exceptions
  • undergo PCR testing, and have NEGATIVE result
  • board a fully disinfected aircraft
So you are confirmed negative COVID and have followed all protocols to prevent spread/reception, only to be treated as if your status was unknown upon returning:
  • another test
  • hotel detention
  • home detention
The icing on the cake was to cut sun destinations, which provide great vitamin D and psychological relief from stress.

tHaNx 4 tHe !sCiEnCe!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

ReserveTank wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:57 am So let's recap...

One must:
So you are confirmed negative COVID and have followed all protocols to prevent spread/reception, only to be treated as if your status was unknown upon returning:
  • another test
  • hotel detention
  • home detention
The icing on the cake was to cut sun destinations, which provide great vitamin D and psychological relief from stress.

tHaNx 4 tHe !sCiEnCe!
Nice screed, but you neglected to mention the 3 new and much more contagious strains that they REALLY don’t want to take off here and are the reason for these measures. Don’t let totally relevant facts get in the way. “Vitamin D”...how stupid can you be?

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Rockie wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:39 pm

One must:
  • another test
  • hotel detention
  • home detention

tHaNx 4 tHe !sCiEnCe!
Nice screed, but you neglected to mention the 3 new and much more contagious strains that they REALLY don’t want to take off here and are the reason for these measures. Don’t let totally relevant facts get in the way. “Vitamin D”...how stupid can you be?
There's new cold and flu strains every year, each with varying strengths and resistances to medications.

You do know that sun exposure improves vitamin D levels in the body, which improves immune response as well as mood?

But sure, shut it all down for the common cold. Whatever the TV says.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Rockie wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:39 pm

One must:
  • another test
  • hotel detention
  • home detention

tHaNx 4 tHe !sCiEnCe!
Rockie why all the duhkha? The science hasn't even proven these strains are more deadly. The strains aren't also proven to be more contagious. All we know is they are maybe more contagious but also history has shown viruses usually become less deadly. Are you talking about relevant facts? The vitamin d statement was more factual than your fear.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Sadly, if a trip to Mexico or Cuba is what you need for mental health reasons you’ve really missed the boat or you haven’t given the solution to your problem much thought.
There are people available who can help you with most mental health issues.

As for the spread of Covid, 2% isn’t zero. If we can get to zero with these restrictions (I doubt we can) that would be great. So let’s give it a shot even though some among us still can’t see the difference between essential and non-essential travel.

These restrictions and flight cancellations are likely the death knell for some Canadian carriers.
As for government money to save the industry, that would be nice, but it ain’t gonna happen so don’t expect it.

For those pilots old enough to remember deregulation in the 80s, how many airlines have we seen come and go since 1986? For the many who didn’t fly before deregulation, be very leery of government money. It WILL lead to government airline ownership and potentially amalgamation of our industry. I doubt there are many among us who wish for that as an outcome.

Hang in there
Gino

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Haha". Yeah, vitamin D’s the answer.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Rockie wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:53 pm Haha". Yeah, vitamin D’s the answer.
Another anti-science stance. Immune response is a critical component of surviving any illness.

wan2fly99
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wan2fly99 »

Tredeau is full of shit Maybe if he hears the real doctors talk he night save lives.

He is destroying this country

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Gino Under wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:52 pm Sadly, if a trip to Mexico or Cuba is what you need for mental health reasons you’ve really missed the boat or you haven’t given the solution to your problem much thought.
There are people available who can help you with most mental health issues.
It's completely normal, and it's why the vacation travel industry exists to begin with. Most people don't need pre-packaged pop psychology, they need a healthy lifestyle which includes getting real light from the sun. Getting out of the office and soaking up the sun, you know. It's good for your body and mind. That's irrefutable science and human biology.
Gino Under wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:52 pm As for the spread of Covid, 2% isn’t zero. If we can get to zero with these restrictions (I doubt we can) that would be great.
Can the common cold, influenza, or even pneumonia be zero? NEVER. It is foolish to think that it can or will ever be.
Gino Under wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:52 pm So let’s give it a shot even though some among us still can’t see the difference between essential and non-essential travel.
Everyone has been giving it a shot for 10 months under penalty of law. So quick to blame your peers. It's exactly what they want you to do.
Gino Under wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:52 pm be very leery of government money. It WILL lead to government airline ownership
Marx has an interesting take on the government simply being the dictatorial arm of industry, with industry wagging it to its own ends. I don't see future airlines in the sense of Crown Corporations, rather they will be fewer and possess power over your basic rights and freedom of mobility.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

wan2fly99 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:34 pm Tredeau is full of shit Maybe if he hears the real doctors talk he night save lives.

He is destroying this country
To be fair, it's not only Trudeau. Suppression of dissent by doctors and scientists is a real thing. This is what we get for clicking "accept" on all of our software.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

ReserveTank wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:44 pm
Marx has an interesting take on the government simply being the dictatorial arm of industry, with industry wagging it to its own ends. I don't see future airlines in the sense of Crown Corporations, rather they will be fewer and possess power over your basic rights and freedom of mobility.
Hah...there it is. I knew old Karl would appear eventually.

As an aside, do none of you people know how to spell names properly? It’s like, I don’t know, you’re six years old or something.

Mariokart
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mariokart »

Anyone know if this applies to flight crew who are not “on active duty” but attending training down in the US?

FlairFltOps
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlairFltOps »

Mariokart wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:48 pm Anyone know if this applies to flight crew who are not “on active duty” but attending training down in the US?
As of now the guidance is still flight crew on active duty including training are exempt from Canadian quarantine and testing regs. Not from US testing requirements though for entry.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

reservetank '
I’m not trying to argue with you. I’m simply telling you why I’m right.

I would agree, it’s completely normal to head south in winter for one’s well being (among other reasons). Done it many times myself. Kinda partial to Hawaii. Except during a pandemic. Like now. So, no Hawaii trip. It seems easy to me to just do what I’m asked to do in times of a pandemic. It should be easy for most.
What pisses me off are those who share your attitude. An attitude guaranteed to ensure we’re looking at an even longer stay at home quarantine. Thanks for nothing BTW.
There is an upside to sun exposure. Direct sun is beneficial. It also contributes to skin cancer. Bummer.
It’s been a hundred years since the Spanish Flu pandemic and to date all we have is an effective vaccine and therapeutics to deal with it. Doesn’t look good for Covid, huh? That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t keep trying to eradicate it. Like zero influenza. Because, know what? The same cannot be said of Covid-19. Controlling the transmission is the only weapon we have cause Mr. Dressup doesn’t have much Covid vaccine in his Tickle Trunk.
Air Transat recently flew 3 A330s into YUL from PAP, each holding 250 plus passengers, most, if not all, carrying Covid. And we allowed those passengers entry. How can you not blame TS for NOT caring about not only their own Crew’s health but the health of their fellow Montrealers?
Marx has nothing to do with the present state of our airline industry but if airline employees keep calling for government financial assistance we could end up beholding to the taxpayer. Many of whom believe foreign airlines operating in Canada is better than what we have.
We don’t want that.

Gino Under

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

Another old (chance of dying) vs young (zero chance of dying) Covid thread? Both sides saying science is on their side?

Before anyone else posts maybe you should post your age, BMI, ethnicity and overall medical condition. I bet I know what side your on.

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

"Fellow Montrealers" i think the word you were looking for was "Canadians". We're all in this together, remember?

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

I know of two people who flew their planes down to FL as they do every year. I wonder how/if these new rules will affect them.

Return to “Covid”