Sunwing Ratifies New Agreement

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Sunwing Ratifies New Agreement

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Pilots voted 85% in favour, with 91% voter turnout.

Details that I'm working off of memory:

- Main takeaway is that we move from 1000 minimum annual guarantee (MAG) to 900. Hourly wages do not increase for the first year of the CBA, then increase 1%, 1.5% and 2% for years 2, 3 and 4. The senior Capt's and F/O's will have a wage freeze for a year or two.

- There is increased RRSP matching (7% company match).

- Lots of lifestyle enhancements (no more drafting, grey days, etc.) Max 16 days of scheduled work per month. Crew sked can't assign you any flying beyond the published monthly schedule unless you opt for more flying.

- More equitable distribution of O/T.

- Lower threshold to reach 1.5X pay (Anything over 90 hours in year 1, anything over 87 in year 2 and anything over 85 hours by year 3).

- Voluntary separation package for senior pilots, plus a retirement allowance/bonus.

TORONTO, Feb. 12, 2021 /CNW/ - Pilots represented by Unifor Local 7378 have ratified a new four-year agreement with Sunwing Airlines.

"In the most unprecedented of times while the entire aviation industry in Canada has been shuttered, our pilots came together and this agreement provides a road forward and a plan for all of our members who are suffering financially," said Barret Armann, President of Unifor Local 7378.

Unifor Local 7378 represents 451 pilots who have been furloughed or inactive for many months due to the pandemic and government travel restrictions. Sunwing Airlines Inc. normally operates out of six bases across Canada- Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montréal, Quebec City.

The four-year agreement includes wage increases, improvements to benefits and new language to improve working conditions.

"I want to thank the members for their solidarity and the bargaining committee for pushing back on concessions and reaching an agreement we can all be proud of," said Armann.

"The fact is these pilots are still waiting for the federal government to support the airline industry with a recovery plan as airlines such as Sunwing continue to lose millions," said Jerry ****, Unifor National President. "Instead of helping, the government continues to impose more travel restrictions without also coming up with a government assistance package as many other nations have done."

Unifor has been demanding a national aviation plan for months, and has held rallies, presented to parliamentary committees and has actively lobbied for a national recovery plan for the aviation industry that includes financial support for workers.

Unifor is Canada's largest union in the private sector, representing 315,000 workers in every major area of the economy. The union advocates for all working people and their rights, fights for equality and social justice in Canada and abroad, and strives to create progressive change for a better future.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Sunwing Ratifies New Agreement

Post by digits_ »

That sounds like a pretty impressive deal in these times :shock:

Nice!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:20 pm That sounds like a pretty impressive deal in these times :shock:
It's still a 10% paycut right off the bat with the new 900 MAG, but lots of other lifestyle gains (deployment language, scheduling, etc) above what is required of the new duty regs.

Makes me wonder though what we could have got if we could have negotiated in the boom-times of 2019!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:13 pm
digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:20 pm That sounds like a pretty impressive deal in these times :shock:
It's still a 10% paycut right off the bat with the new 900 MAG, but lots of other lifestyle gains (deployment language, scheduling, etc) above what is required of the new duty regs.

Makes me wonder though what we could have got if we could have negotiated in the boom-times of 2019!
But the 900 MAG also means you'd most likely have to work 10% less, right?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Pairing/pay protection is also included which was long overdue. No more getting to the end of a high credit month only to have your pairings yanked and lose the overtime. The quality of life improvements will make a massive difference going forward.

I think there's some lingering disappointment that we ended up going into negotiations during COVID-19 instead of in the midst of a growing pilot shortage as we originally expected, but I can't see how the negotiating committee could have achieved more in such a difficult situation.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 pm But the 900 MAG also means you'd most likely have to work 10% less, right?
In theory, yes. But, we were going to have to work less due to the new flight time and duty limitations anyways. We'll be flying less, but probably away from home more (especially for those pilots who only do turns). We'll no longer be able to to an Antigua or Rio Hato or Liberia turn in a single day since we don't have the on-board rest facilities for an augmented crew. That means it'll be more overnights, and that super-productive 10-hour day now turns into two 5-hour days with an overnight away. Lots of senior guys did those turns and only worked 8-10 days per month. Now they'll be working 16 days per month for 10% less money. Even Cancun or Punta Cana could be in jeopardy as the rules for going "unforseen" are a lot tighter with the new rules. Take a 1 hour delay at the beginning of a 6 AM departure out of YYZ and you're pretty much now spending the night down south with what was supposed to be a turn. I preferred pairings anyways, so that won't affect me as much.

The goal and hope was to be given fewer credits, but at least pay us more per hour to keep our yearly salary the same. Now, we're working 10% less, and taking a 10% pay-cut which will amount to $10,000-$20,000 less per year at the top end of the F/O or CAPT scales. Top that off with more equal distribution of O/T to the junior pilots, and you can see why the senior guys who did those turns aren't very happy.

As well, our old pay was based off main cabin door CLOSED to parking brake set on arrival. Now it's chocks to chocks. For me at least, I made some great natural block growth getting that door closed and getting paid right away to be sitting on the ground for our slot time. Now, we won't get paid until we release the brakes for pushback. In winter, over a month that could add up to a couple hours without breaking a sweat. And trust me, they'll be watching to see who plays the parking brake game.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

We'll no longer be able to to an Antigua or Rio Hato or Liberia turn in a single day since we don't have the on-board rest facilities for an augmented crew.
They are already looking at installing these on board =- so it may yet happen that we can make that a turn.

800man
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 800man »

Not bad considering the current climate. Sounds like the kind of agreement ACPA would have negotiated in the absolute best of times.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:20 pm
digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 pm But the 900 MAG also means you'd most likely have to work 10% less, right?
In theory, yes. But, we were going to have to work less due to the new flight time and duty limitations anyways. We'll be flying less, but probably away from home more (especially for those pilots who only do turns). We'll no longer be able to to an Antigua or Rio Hato or Liberia turn in a single day since we don't have the on-board rest facilities for an augmented crew. That means it'll be more overnights, and that super-productive 10-hour day now turns into two 5-hour days with an overnight away. Lots of senior guys did those turns and only worked 8-10 days per month. Now they'll be working 16 days per month for 10% less money. Even Cancun or Punta Cana could be in jeopardy as the rules for going "unforseen" are a lot tighter with the new rules. Take a 1 hour delay at the beginning of a 6 AM departure out of YYZ and you're pretty much now spending the night down south with what was supposed to be a turn. I preferred pairings anyways, so that won't affect me as much.

The goal and hope was to be given fewer credits, but at least pay us more per hour to keep our yearly salary the same. Now, we're working 10% less, and taking a 10% pay-cut which will amount to $10,000-$20,000 less per year at the top end of the F/O or CAPT scales. Top that off with more equal distribution of O/T to the junior pilots, and you can see why the senior guys who did those turns aren't very happy.

As well, our old pay was based off main cabin door CLOSED to parking brake set on arrival. Now it's chocks to chocks. For me at least, I made some great natural block growth getting that door closed and getting paid right away to be sitting on the ground for our slot time. Now, we won't get paid until we release the brakes for pushback. In winter, over a month that could add up to a couple hours without breaking a sweat. And trust me, they'll be watching to see who plays the parking brake game.
And the crabs in the bucket

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:20 pm

If it’s not all that great how did it pass with 85% in favour?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

goleafsgo wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:23 pm If it’s not all that great how did it pass with 85% in favour?
Because what was the alternative? Sunwing pilots had to negotiate a new CBA during the worst economic period in history, and at least by voting to pass the TA, they kept their jobs. If the TA was voted down, in the climate that avaition was in a year ago, who knows what would have happened.

Keep in mind a large group of the pilots have less than 5 years of seniority, many of them cadets and were willing to take anything to keep their jobs. I'm sure the vote split was heavily weighted "NO" to the fewer senior pilots and an unenthusiastic "YES" to the larger majority of young pilots.

So, I think it came down to "Better the Devil you know, than the one you don't."

Return to “Sunwing”